Why do you guys use BSD?

@michael.ger the model name of the Juniper switch that I bought is “Juniper EX2200-48T-4G”

Hey, guys.

Sorry for taking so long to post this. Here is the article I wrote based on your answers to my question. Thanks for your help.

Did you intend to include a link on your post?.. Because at present there is none.

Sorry about that. Here it is: https://itsfoss.com/why-use-bsd/

It’s been that kinda day.

Thanks for posting it. I think you nicely distilled things.
One thing was missing:
Your experience with choosing and running a BSD.

You haven’t? Come on, that would have been the icing on the cake. Not that you switched from Linux, but rather you at least took what we gave you and gave BSD a try. :slight_smile:

I just read your article and all the comments at the time. It seems like you forgot to mention TrueOS which is where I presume you derived the article from since you don’t speak of personal experience, and there is a link to this thread on your article.

You mentioned OpenBSD, FreeBSD, DragonFlyBSD, but not TrueOS?.. In the comments most people seemed biased towards Linux and nothing will convince them otherwise (save a couple) with comments like “clutter is good.” “BSD is hell.” “Use BSD if you like torture.”

The most common theme in the comments; is how the BSD’s are like black magic, and you need incantations, and the stars to align perfectly for you in order for it to work for you. While this was true for me at the beggining when I tried FreeBSD it is no longer the case with things like TrueOS.

I see you even recommended GhostBSD to one of the users, but why not TrueOS?

Well, the point of the article was to talk about others experiences with BSD.

I have installed a couple BSDs, including TrueOS, GhostBSD, and FreeBSD. In fact, I wrote a review of TrueOS in May: https://itsfoss.com/trueos-bsd-review/. Maybe I’ll write a review of GhostBSD.

I just got so wrapped up in writing BSD, I forgot TrueOS. Will correct.

Sometimes discussing technology feels like discussing politics or religion. \

I started writing articles about BSD because Linux is not the only open source operating system. Gotta spread the love. I’m working on an article about ZFS now.

Because right now, it is the only BSD that has a GUI out of the box. Since, the reader in question was coming from Ubuntu, I figured he would be more comfortable with that.

John IMHO

1. The BSD community is more respectful.
  2. The BSD code is easier to follow and understand.
  3. There is less fragmentation and lots of cross pollination between the BSD’s
  4. System Stability
  5. System security

I think that pretty much sums it up. I can’t speak for others but this is how I see it.

• License
  • License
  • License

If you learn something it’s yours. You are not a slave to a intellectual or proprietary debate.

Common sense is not communicated through intellect, you have to observe it through your own.

Hey John, I read It’s FOSS and in many ways, I’m here because of you guys.

After using Linux for well over a decade, I’m looking into FreeBSD for its robustness for my everyday needs. I’m particularly interested in TrueOS as it bridges my Antergos approach to Linux.

I have two older computers, iMac and Mac Book Pro both close to a decade. FreeBSD on them is a no-brainer. I’m just trying to learn how to install FreeBSD then the DE. TrueOS already does that. I need to browse, write, quick video and audio edits. The iMac will most likely become a Kodi entertainment system.

Finally, I appreciate the philosophical differences too.

I know it’s a little off topic from the thread but this link is where I got started learning to set up FreeBSD:

I wanted to know how to set one up before I became a TrueOS user so I understood how it worked.

I watched this and it explained the difference between FreeBSD and TrueOS.

Good to hear. Sometimes I think that people forget that there are other FOSS operating systems besides Linux.

Sometimes it’s better to be forgotten. MacOS and Linux are now so big that they are being targeted for Malware. BSD is forgotten so we don’t often end up in the crosshairs of people like the “Lazarus Group.”

They already built one for MacOS and according to this article one is in the works to be specifically tailored for Linux… BSD is once again forgotten so they are not writing viruses or malware for us.

Worst thing FreeBSD folks can go to Illumos and still have their ZFS…

Who would be interested in Illumos? BSD has more packages?

SmartOS (Illumos) is not a desktop environment but a server environment specifically for the cloud. I use it because of it’s superior hypervisor. The design is quite brilliant and you are much closer to bare metal speed. It is based on OpenSolaris. The whole OS sits in RAM and does not really have a hard drive foot print. I boot of a USB, but you can use PXE or DVD as well. Of course ZFS is right at home in its native environment. There are some very clever ex-Sun engineers working on it.

Why I use BSD, there are a lot of reasons. A few of the big ones…

No GPL in base system.

Kernel/Base/Ports maintained together and are nicely cohesive.

Memory and scheduling management.

Native ZFS

Better security. I’m not going to argue if it’s due diligence or security through obscurity, I see far fewer exploits for the BSD family than for others.

At work we have a lot of FreeBSD and also RHEL. When RHEL patches a bug they don’t upgrade the package version info. This makes it frustratingly hard to keep track of security advisories. FreeBSD port/package management is very well done and has seen vast improvements in the last few years.

Structure of the FreeBSD project core team. No, it’s not perfect and it’s overly white males but at least it’s not a tiny, monolithic group.

I’m not anti-linux. I much prefer folks use it over microsoft products for servers and such. An old boss once said “Linux is for windows folks who want to learn unix, FreeBSD is for unix folks who want to use cheap hardware”. This was very true back when Sun hardware dominated the expensive unix market, say the mid 90’s and is less true today, but it’s a good reference point for where I started. My first FreeBSD machine used version 1.5.

Does it have to be one or the other?.. Can we say that they do their due diligence, and also use obscurity as an extra layer of security?