What is your favorite browser to use in TrueOS or FreeBSD?

The browser is one of the most important pieces of software on my systems since the internet became the central source of information. Despite this importance I never fell in love with any special brand. The only constant is my aversion against monopolists, irrespective of the name of the company currently carrying the most weight. I could never see the advantage of bending standards to comply with proprietary software.
Here on TrueOS stable (Lumina desktop environment) I am playing with UZBL and Otter but my main tool is Qupzilla.

I like Firefox, so seems 63% of the users so far. I think it looks good, it’s safe, stable and has plenty of options and good plug-in’s. I also use Thunderbird for mail.

Will this survey decide the default browser in the next STABLE update?

Funny with the IE6 option. That would make almost every Website scream “your browser it outdated!” :laughing:
Actually, now I get that “scream” sometimes even with Firefox since I’m still on PC-BSD with version 47.0 on my desktop (I have TrueOS on my laptop).

Now I’m almost sure I will change to TrueOS after the December STABLE update. But to be safe since this is my primary computer that has an ASUS motherboard and since I know that ASUS has been a problem child with TrueOS, I will first try to install on an external HDD connected with my USB adaptor to see if it goes in and runs.

After encountering problems surfing pages like Yahoo news with QupZilla, Uzbl, and Otter (which is not working really at all) I was looking for available browser alternatives in AppCafe today.
I am very, very, very glad to have found Pale Moon (look for ‘palemoon’ in AppCafe). That is my browser of choice on my Linux and Windows systems. Now I am able to use this browser on my main system (TrueOS 17.12 STABLE Lumina desktop environment) as well.
Thank you very much to that person, team, or group who ported Pale Moon to TrueOS!

Edit:
I just came across this thread on the Pale Moon forum. Hopefully this discussion doesn’t mean, the just installed Pale Moon is disappearing again soon!

% uname -v | grep -Eo 'true[^)]+' ; firefox --version
trueos-stable-17.12
Mozilla Firefox 58.0.1

No issues. And fast. And: “NoScript”-extension!

I read in the news, that QupZilla is already in the past. Falkon 3.0.0 has come to replace.
I hope this will be an improved version of the previous browser. It is fast, but it also lags behind in displaying content.
I use Firefox, but there are occasional problems with crashing in TrueOS 17.12 Stable. Will Falkon be included in AppCafe after some time (after running in)? Thank you.

Have you installed the latest Firefox 58.0.1. from the ports tree?
In AppCafe the latest version is 57.1.1 if I’m not mistaken.

Yes. From PortsTree, as told in TrueOS-Handbook.

I used to be a Chromium user back then in my Linux days. Sadly it didn’t work well under FreeBSD (even though it was the faster available browser) so I begun using Firefox, the most reliable one out there.

I was glad to see a speed improvement when the first Quantum beta came up, but pretty much every Firefox version since that beta has returned to be almost as slow as before. When opening multiple tabs the whole browser lags and becomes slightly unresponsive, which is very annoying!

Luckily Palemoon has been performing outstandingly well since the latest UNSTABLE. It’s working as fast as Firefox 57 was once!!

After taking a look today I just installed Falkon 3.0.0 from AppCafe without any issues on TrueOS STABLE 18.03. This post is written in Falkon - seems to be working as advertised. :slightly_smiling_face:

Congratulations! My installation experience for the previous version did not give anything, the installation was successful, but it starts strange - I see only the top part of the browser window (without the menu and everything below). Updating to a new version of TrueOS and reinstalling Falkon (again without problems), I have the same situation. The browser as it is, but it is not possible to work with it. I tried double-clicking on the browser bar to fully expand the window, but this did not work. Perhaps a feature of my laptop / hardware. Now used while Firefox, though in the new version it’s less buggy.

Since Project Trident BETA2 my main testing browser is Falkon. With BETA2 and BETA3 there is no sound in Falkon out of the box. To remedy this issue in BETA3 I only had to delete the ‘pulse’ folder within /usr/home/{your user name}/.config. I needed administrator privileges to do that since this folder was owned by root. After logging out and in again sound was available in Falkon.

Thank you @RodMyers for your hint at this solution on Telegram!

Edit: After rebooting the system the folder ‘pulse’ is re-established and sound is not working in Falkon. Now this folder is owned by the normal user and can be removed with user privileges. After logging out and in sound is working again in Falkon. So this is more a workaround than a solution.