What is /etc/in ? And looking for suggestion for two issues

My laptop has suddenly started to point out that a /etc/in is missing with “Error, no such file or directory” during start up. But otherwise everything seems to work normally.

For other things there are still two irritating behaviours.

1. I can’t shut it down or reboot it from the main menu, it just goes to the login screen. From there I can shut it down or reboot it from the small semi menu on the lower right corner. But that’s a very dangerous menu since there you can change the video driver. I did that ones by mistake (it’s a small 11,6" screen) and that totally crashed the video driver so I had to reinstall the entire system. So as for now I just use to shut it down by hitting the start button.

2. I’ve installed kde-baseapps and got Dolphin file manager since I like that better than Insight. But if I close Dolphin and then try to open it again I get an error message “The process for the protocol died unexpected” (translated). However, I can open and close the window for e.g. an USB pin as many times as I like. But to reopen my home folder I first need to logout and login again.

Is there any fixes for these things? Or will they be fixed in the June STABLE update?

Your point #2:

Start Dolphin from within a terminal window. Probably, You will get more messages about what happens when it refuses to launch.

I suspect some dbus or kio stuff.
But who knows? Let’s see…

Your point #1: Resolution
Somewhere under /var, You can set the PCDM’s DPI-resolution by hand to the true resolution of Your MonitorDisplay’s hardware. Afterwards, change the permissions of this file: WritePermission for nobody at all, especially not for ‘root’. Then it will be permanently correct and You don’t have to be afraid of the video-resolution menu. And Your fear was my fear, too. Therefore, I changed it like I tell You here.

I’m used to think deleting xorg.conf (or its counterparts if one split the config) then rebooting is enough to reinitialize a video driver with the autodetecting wizard in TOS.

Point #2.
Opening from terminal works even when it don’t opens normally. I get a long text and the most accurate I can find in it are these two lines:

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-<usernamn>" is owned by uid 1001 instead of uid 0.

and several lines with:

"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown"

Correction: I didn’t explain it right. Dolphin launches, but instead of showing catalogues and files I get that error message. But not when I open from Terminal, than it opens normally.

Point #1.
It’s not the video driver that’s my biggest concern. It’s why I can’t shut down or reboot from when I’m logged. If that would work I could stop caring about the mini-menu at the login screen since then I would not need to use it.
As for now I just hit the start button to shut down as I said. It’s only if I need to manually reboot I need to go to that mini-menu. On that other hand, one can always reboot from Terminal.

@vit Thanks, but if I remember correctly I did that but it didn’t help. However, As long as I don’t touch that video driver I’m safe.

rc-status | grep dbus ?

Not much
dbus [ started <local time> (0) ]

There is probably more in the error message… like “org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by a…” ?

whatif (shooting blindly; pls backup prior):
rm /home/[username]/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc ?

Edit:

Apologies for asking a stupid question… are you using Lumina?

I’m looking at the lumina source code; essentially it just calls shutdown on rebboot/shutdown, when on FreeBSD system:

//System Shutdown
void LOS::systemShutdown(bool skipupdates){ //start poweroff sequence
  if(skipupdates){QProcess::startDetached("shutdown -po now"); }
  else{ QProcess::startDetached("shutdown -p now"); }
}

//System Restart
void LOS::systemRestart(bool skipupdates){ //start reboot sequence
  bool activeupdates = (LUtils::getCmdOutput("sysrc -n trueos_active_update").join("").simplified()=="YES");
  if(skipupdates){
    QProcess::startDetached("shutdown -ro now");
  }else{
    if(activeupdates && LUtils::isValidBinary("pc-updatemanager") && LOS::systemPendingUpdates().isEmpty()){ QProcess::startDetached("pc-updatemanager startupdate"); }
    else{ QProcess::startDetached("shutdown -r now"); }
  }
}

What happens if you manually call [sudo] shutdown -r now (if your user is in the operator group, sudo is not needed imho)?

First about the command line you wrote:

It feels dangerous like it will remove my home directory.

Yes, I’m on Lumina although I’ve added some KDE-functions on top of it.

When I tried earlier to use the command “sudo reboot”, that made it reboot.

That resulted in a reboot.

Just typing “shutdown” results in a short warning message and suggesting the command “poweroff”. When I type that, it shuts down (no need for “sudo”).

Being vigilant and not typing in everything you see on the internet is a good thing :slight_smile:
Don’t include rm -rf and it should be fine… i think…
Anyway, you might wanna try removing some- or all kde configs from your home directory with any file manager, then re-login. Up to you.
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-959615.html

Still wondering, what else is there?

interesting, for me just shutdown prints out the usage help:

% shutdown
usage: shutdown [-] [-c | -h | -p | -r | -k] [-o [-n]] time [warning-message ...]
       poweroff

will dig a bit more when get home.