Virtual box/ TrueOS guest/ Where can I find shared folder

I have TrueOS as guest in Virtualbox.
Where can I find the shared folder within the virtual machine?
Or what have I to do to get it?
In the system settings of Virtualbox I have done it as usual.

Been a while since I’ve used shared folders in VirtualBox( much easier to NFS export directories from the host and then simply mount them in the guest and you don’t have to worry about symlinks better performance and you don’t need to muck with groups) but have you simply typed in “mount” in the guest? If the shared folder got mounted, then it should show up in that list.

I think you need to make sure the “Guest additions” are installed in the guest so that you have the vboxsf type available. If you google “virtualbox shared folder linux guest location” you should get enough information to guess where to look.

Guest additions are installed. But I don’t find any vboxsf. I have searched up and down:-)
Is it possible that this is an open issue?
See:7. task on: https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox/ToDo

I just found an awesome solution when using a Windows Host and a fbsd-11 VM. I have a standard NAT network interface and didn’t do anything except a dhcp setup. Windows Network sharing and discovery should also be turned on as far as I can tell.

The -I (capital i) option tell the kernel to use the ip address instead of trying to resolve the NetBIOS name.

cd ~
mkdir mnt
sudo mount_smbfs -I -I 192.168.56.1 //myuser@myw10khost/Users/myuser/ mnt/

Enter your password and enjoy full access to your Windows user share.

No shit. :sunglasses:

I’ll test in TrueOS asap (if someone doesn’t beat me to it).

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?mount_smbfs

I can't use VirtualBox

That should work in TrueOS as long as all the smbfs support is installed (probably is by default). It’s also the equivalent of my suggestion as to using NFS mounts.

I see now I made two mistakes (as usual, it was around midnight). I’ll correct the original post.

1. I posted this on the wrong thread. There was another thread I was reading that was windows specific.
  2. I didn’t mention I was using Windows as a host. :frowning:

Anyway, thanks for commenting mer. As far as I am aware there is no NFS server in Windows. mount_smbfs allows me to mount a standard Windows share in all my virtual machines without installing any software or dealing with VBox Guest Additions.

I am trying to mount a shared folder from my Windows host. I tried your example, but I get this message “mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error”. Please advise. Thanks.

Hi!
Okay, I don’t have that computer handy right now, but will tonight. Some debug steps to try:

• Post the commands you tried so we can debug it.
  • Setup checklist:
    – Try pinging the client ip address?
    – In Virtual Box, did you set up an internal network and start dhcp?
    – If the above communications are working, try mounting with the wrong ip address and see if it gives you a different error?

I haven’t touched that in quite some time so the details are escaping me right now. I feel guilty I haven’t put together a proper how to on this subject because it’s quite handy. :see_no_evil:

# uname -srv
FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #25 fa797a5a3(trueos-master): Fri Mar 23 13:28:18 UTC 2018     root@chimera:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC
# pkg which /usr/local/sbin/mount_vboxvfs 
/usr/local/sbin/mount_vboxvfs was installed by package virtualbox-ose-additions-5.2.6_1
# mount -t vbovfs sharedfolder /mnt

John
groenveld@acm.org

I am able to ping my Windows 10 host from my TrueOS guest. In VirtualBox I used bridged adapter for network settings. I’ve never had to start DHCP from VirtualBox. I did try the mount again using an incorrect IP address and instead of the error I gave you, I got message “Operation timed out”.

I believe mount_smbfs(8) does not support Windows 10 CIFS. 
You have two other options for CIFS:
smbclient(1) or fusefs-smbnetfs
John
groenveld@acm.org

I was using this the other day:

sudo mount_smbfs -I 192.168.56.1 //russh@layne/Users/russh/ mnt/

update: Fun stuff. I can’t get it to work tonight. I’m getting an “Operation Timed Out” error.

When did the shared folders get fixed? Super awesome. I’m mostly using GhostBSD right now which is on RELEASE, not CURRENT.

I couldn’t build RTEMS or DotNet on CURRENT so I switched from TrueOS to GhostBSD. The issues I was running into may be fixed by now, but I don’t really have much reason to switch back.

I am able to ping my Windows 10 host from my TrueOS guest. In VirtualBox I used bridged adapter for network settings. I’ve never had to start DHCP from VirtualBox. I did try the mount again using an incorrect IP address and instead of the error I gave you, I got message “Operation timed out”.

Well it sounds like you’re on the right track then and the permission error is legitimate. I’m not having any luck tonight, but I did note that I have that folder shared out. Perhaps try sharing the target folder?

If @jgroenveld is right (I assume he is!) and shared folders is fixed, then you might be able to update your TrueOS instance and/or install the latest virtualbox extensions from pkg and just use shared folders. I’ll keep plugging at it though…

update: Stupid f’ing computers. I have no idea why it’s not working now. I’ll try again when I get a chance but I’m busy for a couple of days. Sorry. :frowning: