Upgrading from PC-BSD 10.3 to TrueOS (late to the party)

I’ve held off on migrating from PC-BSD to TrueOS until now, largely because of Lumina (I prefer Gnome3). I imagine that by now I can install gnome on TrueOS from packages, and can get through the Legacy NVIDIA driver issues without too much trouble. I’m installed on a mirrored 2Tx2 system drive(s), and I link to a FreeNAS nfs link.

Even with PC-BSD, I’ve never had a smooth update using the automated upgrade tools, and so I wonder if:

1.) an automated upgrade path from PC-BSD (see below for revision info) to TrueOS is possible, and if so, how?
2.) whether I should do a clean install anyways to lose Grub?
3.) there is something else that I don’t know about?

Any input would be helpful, as I’m not watching the TrueOS development as closely as I probably should have, but PC-BSD is starting to get a bit crufty …

Cheers,
Rob Sciuk

~/Images% uname -a
FreeBSD pigdog 10.3-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p5 #0: Thu Jun 30 03:52:15 UTC 2016 root@amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

1. no auto update path :frowning: the Best i can offer. new install in place. this does a fresh install into a new BE.

2. grub is being depreciated. is this a BIOS or UEFI machine?

Sorry for the delay. I’m set up for UEFI currently, 2x2T WD greens in a ZFS mirror. AMD Bulldozer 6way CPU and 32G of ram. Why do you ask if it is UEFI? Are there problems with it (or BIOS boots)?

UEFI appears to support multiboot easier. On install, TrueOS offers rEFInd as a “boot manager”. A way to select different OS’s and/or bootable devices

I’m unfamiliar with rEFInd, but I’ve never liked Grub. I’m all in, by the way, there are no “alien” operating systems, I’ve always been a FreeBSD guy, since 2.x, and then PC-BSD was VERY convenient to get to the desktop. I really like the rolling current model for TrueOS, and would like to be there (I’ve dabbled on a couple of VM’s), but had trouble with accelerated graphics on TrueOS/VM.

Ok, I’ll start the backup today, and see about a fresh install. One thing about the old partition systems, I could document fstab, and do a fresh install over top of an old system, while preserving /etc and /usr/home/* without problems. I’ve yet to try something like this over a ZFS volume/mirror.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Hey Rod … I see you’ve been to UEFI hell and back, and documented the journey. Looks like you’ve compiled a lot of good information there, and I’ll probably get back to it in the course of this exercise. I’m growing concerned that the UEFI blob in the firmware is an ever increasing security risk, and would welcome a way to excise it completely from a system in favour of something open source.

been reading online, it may become a security risk, since micro$oft is the main engineer behind it.

and we all know micro$oft writes secure code

What’s a Microsoft? :wink: