Ubuntu has abandoned it's mobile phone efforts :(

I Just read letter that Mark Shuttleworth wrote. :cry:They are now abandoning the mobile phone arena, because they thought people would want a third player to compete with the two giants. In his letter he says he was wrong about that.

I bought the Ubuntu phone, I bought the Ubuntu tablet, I bought a Nexus5 hacked it and installed Ubuntu on it. I bought the Nexus5 for no other reason that it was easy to hack and install Ubuntu. I tried flashing Kubuntu on my phone (I did not succeed, but I did try). I ordered a 2013 Nexus7 tablet yesterday because I found enough tutorials on how to hack it to install Ubuntu on it. (and now the project has been abandoned?!:angry:)

My android phone just updated to Nougat “the sweetest release google has ever had.” [My bottom]
I don’t use the Google play store software repository, I download all my software from the F-Droid software repository. After the update 100% of my apps stopped working… All of them!!! My alarm wont ring for heavens sake. (how is this sweet in anyway google?) I need something better.

I never gave Cyanogen a chance, because you still needed all the Google garbage to make it functional. I tried moving to Cyanogen today and found out that, Cyanogen does not exist anymore.

Fortunately Steve Kondik(AKA Cyanogen) re-branded and started LineageOS after being fired from the company he founded. (That’s the beauty of Open Source). All though I have tried Lineage it has a lot of problems, right now and it makes it impossible to be used as an everyday phone.

I am still looking for a replacement to Android/IOS phones…

I was searching on Git Hub and I found this project for my nexus5 but I have not tried it because there are no tutorials, that will teach me how to flash that on to my phone.

Once I can figure it out. I’ll let you guys know, that is if you are interested in an open source Alternative to the two giants.

Canonical didn’t play well with others.

Did their own thing, and begrudgingly gave back to community.

Did their own thing, thinking they knew better than the community, at times.

Forced unity on their users, which is/was just as bad as windos 10 gui, claiming it was progress.

Canonical sold all their phones with in a day. The flash sales sold out in minutes, and some of them in seconds. And they never built anymore phones after that! So I’m wondering where Mark Shuttleworth is basing this “there is no interest in an Ubuntu phone” on.

Canonical was trying to do the same thing Windows was which is, one interface to rule them all. For some reason I don’t want my Windows 2012 server to feel like my Windows10 phone. I don’t use any of that, but I’m just illustrating a point that nobody wants their Ubuntu server to look like their Ubuntu phone either.

No matter what pretty name they decide to disguise it under for Ubuntu they chose to disguise it as “convergence” and Windows chose to disguise it as “One Experience” it’s still trying to force an interface on their users, and ultimately they both failed and in my opinion it was because of that all or nothing attitude with their interfaces.

You either use Unity for everything (servers, tablets, laptops, robots, cars, phones), or not at all. In the Mark Shuttleworth letter he announces that they, “will shift their default Ubuntu desktop back to GNOME for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.”

Why don’t they switch everything back to Gnome, and develop the unity and phone customer base seperately?.. Or stop worrying about “convergence” and put Gnome on a phone, or Even KDE since they already made a Kubuntu phone.

Probably the manufacturing or carrier side of things. With how the mobile phone market works right now, you pretty much have to get the carriers to sell your phones if you want to get much of anywhere (at least in the US), and both the folks making the phones and the carriers want to do their own stuff to them.

Of course, what a number of us would love to see would be a phone market more like the PC market where the hardware is standardized enough that you can just buy a device (or even the parts for a device) and put whatever OS you want on it, but for the most part, the folks selling the phones want to sell an appliance, not a computer, and they want to lock everything down.

Personally, as it stands, I just put up with Android and Google’s stuff, because that seems like the best option. I root my phone to make it actually usable, which Google wants to kill off, so I could be screwed on that count at some point (they also don’t seem to like SD cards or removable batteries, so they really aren’t going in a direction that I like), but there really aren’t much in the way of good options right now, and I really don’t see that changing any time soon. Manufacturers really aren’t looking to make phones for techies. They’re looking to make idiot-proof phones for the masses, and they want as much control of them as they can get.

There’s always Sailfish and KDE mobile.

Sailfish is a much better UX than android or Ubuntu Phone IMO, I use it as a daily driver.

Honest to god RPM package and repo management, light running, growing port and dev community, ability to remove all 2nd party integrated software by default, ready made port of wireshark, etc.

It’s no contest.

The question is how many phones did they produce that they sold out so fast. And there is one smartphone-OS that is based on BSD. It is just not open source :wink:

There was a rush to “be the platform” and get people into ecosystems. The large companies saw the value of the data. I think what Shuttleworth was doing was noble because at least the FOSS community would have access to the data. SailfishOS is sputtering and I noticed that KDE removed the OnePlus One from their supported list (I was talking to one of the main guys in England supporting it, I think he may have lost interest?).

I had a oneplus that I flashed with the Chinese OS from the OPPO i-don’t-remember-the-model. I multiromed it and then flashed plan cyanogen, oneplus stock, AOKP and sailfishOS. I almost got Sailfish to build from scratch, but never got it to work. I agree that Android has been gutted of all things useful. Google has put EVERYTHING that makes it more than a phone into a proprietary Google application bundle called GAPPS. I tried all the open source mentioned above and it was always buggy and missing alot. However, Cyanogen will be back with his lineageOS.

I gave the phone away to my best friend and then a week later KDE announced PlasmaMobile. :sob:

I desperately wanted to create a BSD phone system so I delved into ARM. Unfortunately, there isn’t great support for the Snapdragon platform (none at all when I started looking). I could dig up something about a couple guys working on it, but I don’t think they are all that advanced. (I have a bunch of other boards, BBB, Solid-run IMX6).

The biggest hurdle is most drivers are written for linux (glibc) and android (bionic). Many are proprietary and getting support for that would be daunting. The Sailfish guys (don’t remember which one) got around it by supporting Android drivers. They created a shim/wrapper system around bionic drivers called libhybris that converted things to glibc system calls so they could use proprietary bionic binary blobs in the kernel. Unforunately it’s Linux kernel only.

Anyway, I believe there is much tighter support for Android in the Linux kernel now.

Warning: Rant about phones and privacy
Don’t get me really ranting about privacy. What has happened is a crime. With the retirement of BB10, there are NO operating systems or phone systems that are currently created or controlled out side of the US or US corporate interests. If you think that Apple and the US Government are not working together you are foolish. Apple controls the silicon and the software. Just because they are encrypting your data in the nand flash doesn’t mean they don’t have a switch to send an unencrypted copy to a hidden nor chip. Until someone audits and verifies this, I will not believe a word that Tim Cook the corporate shrill says. “Android by Google” IS A TRACKING DEVICE and the US government has FULL access to your information. Okay, calm down Dinsdale… :fearful:

So if anybody else wants their privacy back, the way forward for a PhoneBSD is:

1. Get a viable FreeBSD board support package for Snapdragon or MediaTek processors/chipsets
  2. Bring wayland support up to date - especially the KDE wayland implementation. I know FreeBSD crews are working on a different implementation and have dev builds available but I’m too lazy to go look right now (drags up painful memories. lolz)
  3. Get qt5 support completed (not sure where that’s at)
  4. port KDE plasmaMobile (should just be a matter of getting qt5 running?) OR
  5. Better yet, get a copy of Lumina working on it!
    …Others I haven’t yet discovered…

Anyway, there is nothing that guarantees the Qualcom or MediaTek chips don’t have something embedded in them, but they are well known design architectures heavily based on ARM reference designs and they have to use the ARM instruction sets. While Apple does use ARM, their design is much different then most (I don’t have a lot of details to share on that).

Okay, I’m tired now. D’oh! I came to post some log files!

I agree with @Groot on the interface thing. In theory, a single interface isn’t a bad idea as long as it’s the appropriate one. To me unity and other are trying to make my desktop work like a big smartphone which is idiotic.
In the US, selling anything into the telecomms space is a long process where they really hold all the cards, then the phone makers are in bed because “hey you can upgrade your phone” sells another phone and keeps a customer locked into the carrier (because not enough people keep phones longer than 2 years). Me, I’m only on my third cell phone ever. Analog until the carrier said we won’t support that on the network anymore, flipphone, droid razr. Wife is one ahead of me (same 3 plus an iPhone6) so when/if mine dies, I put the SIM in her droid and keep going.

Sadly, since I started using smartphones, I’ve never had a phone last that long. And too often, not getting a new phone means not being able to get updates (which is completely stupid; the update situation with Android is a disaster). I would love to see phones lasting longer and having open operating systems where you can actually get regular security updates, but right now, sadly, that’s looking like a total pipe dream.

I’d hardly call sailfish sputtering. I’ve put it on my oneplus x, redmi 2, and I own a Jolla C. all of these devices work perfectly. They’ve got hardware launches planned for q2 and 3 across europe and asia.

I plan on getting an FP2 or a blockphone and putting it on that, too.

Interesting. My current droid razr hd has got to be almost 5 yrs, the LG flip before that was at least 4. I’m either picking the right models or I’m lucky.

Updates are always interesting, it goes back to the carrier. They don’t want an update that could cause havoc on their network which is why say Verizon is responsible for pushing out updates to a Moto droid phone. As much as we love to complain about them, your phone pretty much “just works” doesn’t it? they take 5-9s seriously

Looks like a BSD-based secure smartphone might be nearer than we think. I saw this on BSD now episode 187 they start talking about it around 0:14:08

It’s a very crude “phone” right now, but I like where Colin Stuart is going with this. He doesn’t even have a case for it, and has to use google voice for phone calls. On hackaday he mentions that he wants to 3D print a case, but has no access to a 3D printer.

As of right now it’s just a parts list that you put together follow along with him and hope for the best.

isn’t that a kickstarter reward-only dev board?

That’s great news! Last I had heard they had canceled their tablet and were in financial distress. ‎ I admit I haven’t been paying much attention the last few months.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.From: tkohamSent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:59 AMTo: russ.haley@gmail.comReply To: TrueOS CommunitySubject: [TrueOS Community] [The Lounge] Ubuntu has abandoned it’s mobile phone efforts :frowning:

April 13

I'd hardly call sailfish sputtering. I've put it on my oneplus x, redmi 2, and I own a Jolla C. all of these devices work perfectly. They've got hardware launches planned for q2 and 3 across europe and asia.

I plan on getting an FP2 or a blockphone and putting it on that, too.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

April 13There was a rush to “be the platform” and get people into ecosystems. The large companies saw the value of the data. I think what Shuttleworth was doing was noble because at least the FOSS community would have access to the data. SailfishOS is sputtering and I noticed that KDE removed the OnePlus On…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yeah, It’s relly picked up in the past 6 months. The tablet launch gave them a shoestring to make a better iteration of the phone, and other hardware manufacturers in eurasia took notice. It helps that they provide updates to all partnered devices inline.

I got a Nexus 4 just to run Ubuntu on. It was great that the voice phone part worked. Their support of the most important apps (email, web browser, contacts, calendar) always felt like alpha code. Important features missing. You’d fine that one app allowed importing from other platforms, but the others didn’t. Then one app would work with dav servers, but the others wouldn’t. They really didn’t allow one to switch from another platform. Incomplete.

I didn’t know that Sailfish was feature-full. Do all the basic apps work, with importing, connecting to servers, making a smooth transition from iOS or Android?

A BSD solution would be awesome! That would be my first choice. :slight_smile:

Just a note on Unity. Many people claim that the interface is phone-like and it made their desktop look like a giant phone. However, I think this is only true visually. I think Unity is (was) one of the best keyboard driven DE out there. With the dash, the HUD and the keyboard shortcuts one could avoid touching a mouse at all for hours! The same goes for Gnome 3. Many people say it has been developed for touch, but on a touchscreen, it is awful! For example, opening the Activites works really well on a desktop, with the hot corner and the Meta key, but it is really awkward on a touch screen…