U8 USB Scanning on Epson RX500 stopped working

Upgrading for me to U8 went really smoothly but for a couple of things mostly USB related. I have an Epson RX500 (multifunction printer/scanner/etc) which I’ve been scanning with fine through all iterations I’ve used. XSane is my primary tool.
usbconfig lists it but scanimage does not. So far I’ve worked my way through this link https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/scanners.html, and a couple of others but not had any luck.
I just realized that maybe one more reboot to load any changes I’ve missed might help so I’ll try that now.

0 Likes

Rebooting made no difference. (Which I figured but just in case…)

Followup. I noticed that when I run scanimage -L the scanner does a little reset noise. It happens exactly as I execute the command. But only once until I reboot. The reply I get is this:

scanimage -L
dbus[33185]: arguments to dbus_connection_send() were incorrect, assertion “connection != NULL” failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3311.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Abort

Again, this used to work on the previous versions. (Now I cannot swear that I scanned throughout all the U iterations of Trident, but I’m certain I have since I moved to it.)

0 Likes

can you roll back, one Boot Environment and double check?
if it works, check the status , using the
rc-status
noting what is running, along with the output of
ps aux | grep dbus

then restart this BE, and check those same commands. They “should” be different, since it is not working now

0 Likes

How do you tell what version of Trident you are in?

0 Likes

type about

about
Project Trident Information

OS Version: 18.12-RELEASE-U8
Build Date: Thu Mar 28 08:53:42 EDT 2019
Boot Type: UEFI

0 Likes

OK the oldest I have is U5 and it does work. Will be back once I’ve compared the two.

0 Likes

diff’ing the two rc-status.U5 rc-status.U8 revealed no difference in what’s running, inactive or stopped. All the same processes were present in both.

The two dbus appear to be identical but for PID, CPU & MEM, VSZ and RSS were quite similar while TT & STAT were identical. TIME was also similar.

These were running on both:
dbus-launch --autolaunch f2394afd9498714f1e9149d
/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog-only --fork
dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/local/bin/s
/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog --fork --pri
/usr/local/bin/gmenudbusmenuproxy

In my limited understanding none here appears to have any significant difference.

0 Likes

i was hoping that was not the case

what happens when you run from the terminal? what get printed to the terminal?

0 Likes

On the U5 a window pops up saying no scanner detected. on U8 nothing pops up, the searching window simply goes away quietly. (To the desktop, can’t run sane w/o display.)

0 Likes

try running as root.

if root finds it, then it is a permission issue

0 Likes

Not been able to get the GUI up and running as root…

0 Likes