TrueOS stable installer hangs on Hyper-V

Hi all
Trying to install TrueOS as a virtual machine in Hyper-V

Version: TrueOS-2017-07-05-x64-DVD.iso
Hyper-V Windows 10 1703 pro

The installer seem to work OK until it hangs in the graphical part.
Tested generation 1 and 2, legacy and 3D graphics.

Similar thread at FreeBSD forums:

Any ideas?

Erik

Have you looked at the TrueOS handbook?

There is a section on running in a virtual machine

Hi, thanks for reply
The installer hangs during boot before or while it enter the graphical part. What I can see in the console looks all OK though. I can supply a legacy graphics card to the machine or a 3D one, it doesn’t make any difference.

I tested gen1 and gen 2 as well. The older one doesn’t seem to work with True OS at all and the newer one gets into the graphical interface, but I couldn’t get a working mouse. I tabbed through all the options and the installation succeeded, but the VM failed to to boot. I think it the boot loader failed and it went to a fallback looking for the “CD” image.

I’m not really sure how to diagnose boot problems in VMs. :confused:

I’ll keep poking…

hi dinsdale,

FreeBSD proper works with generation 2 (as you can see in the first post). I couldn’t get the mouse and keyboard to work in Lumina. I didn’t test another desktop. From all this I think one can conclude it’s the desktop environment that fails in HyperV. Which in turn make TrueOS installer to fail.

Some years ago I succeeded to install both FreeBSD and PC-BSD with desktops in HyperV though.

I don’t have the deep insight in FreeBSD to solve this. Can’t resist to think that given the potential to attract new users, a Windows 10 PC for the developers of Lumina would be a good thing.

It seems to me the mouse integration isn’t working correctly. The graphical installer seems to load and work fine though. I am learning that TrueOS uses rEFInd, which is a Boot Manager (FreeBSD does not. Nor did PC-BSD. ah, Joule. The halcyon days. JK!). I haven’t gone deep into the details yet but it seems to sit between the EFI and the next boot stage (freebsd boot loader in our case now? Not totally clear to me yet). That’s where mine is failing.

Oh, right. My real machine is an old high end i/ without UEFI bios and despite that I have had no problem at all with Hyper-v generation 2 UEFI in any of my virtual machines. If I remember right, the FreeBSD DVD sits awhile inactive at boot up (with some weird symbols looping), but once it boot up the installer works as far as I can understand.

Just a thought, with the Linux subsystem releasing this month and OS support for docker, I guess all this is rapidly becoming irrelevant. The Unix code for Hyper-v support was released in 2009 and the fact that we still struggle with basic compatibility is pretty telling.

Well, there has been wholesale change to pretty much every supporting system in TrueOS over the past little while: boot manager, boot loader, init system, desktop, source tree. The development team needs a chance to get all the new core features working and push development forward. If we (the community) want Hyper-V support then I guess we (the community) just have to drill in and fix it.

LSW is super awesome. It’s based on Pico Processes and a shimming layer between the a userland and a kernel to mimic Linux kernel calls. It’s quite brilliant. It’s similar to what Blackberry did with QNX to get Android apps to run. Also similar to libHybris that was used by SailfishOS to work on a stock Linux kernel (back in the day before it was merged). However, it’s only good for Linux kernel system calls, and any other kernel needs to be shimmed for it to work.

As cool as it is, it doesn’t replace virtualisation. The ability to mimic hardware and encapsulate a full compute system will always be necessary, but now Linux users have more options on Windows.

Yessss, it really is awesome! With the repositories of Ubuntu it’s a joy to use. The only issue for me so far have been symlink incompatibilities, but I think this is going to be fixed at release.

There’s always the will of being supportive. Personally I have fondness for NetBSD since my Interix days. NetBSD is a true nightmare in Hyper-v. Regarding Lumina, my theory was there are daemon (or “driver” whatever) incompatibilities for the hardware it uses, like the mouse and keyboard. I have no idea how Lumina works though.