TrueOS Installation

Hi there,
During the past year I tried several times to install either TrueOS or FreeBSD, from a USB flash memory (from .img) or a DVD (from .iso).
The flash memory was prepared with command line dd in Linux.
The DVD was burnt using Brasero.
For both flavors, booting fails after a few lines, after displaying:
masks 0x00ff0000, 0x00ff0000, 0x00ff0000, 0x00ff0000

Equipment: Asus N53J with Intel i7, 16 GB RAM

Debian or LinuxMint installation work perfectly, but not TrueOS.
Could anyone issue an useful suggestion, so that I could really enjoy TrueOS power and stability?

Thanks in advance,

Hi kraken, I have prepared a usb stick for TrueOS intall just following the media installation instructions on the handbook, chapter 2.1.3. Writing to a USB Device (Windows case: Win32 disk imager).
It has worked for me.
Remember to burn the .img file, not the .iso one

Thank you, Mauro;
That is exactly what I did: the USB flash memory with the .img file, and the DVD with the .iso.
I will burn another time my USB memory. It’s far less expensive than endlessly burning DVD.
I’ll keep you informed.
Good evening,

Just one difference indeed,
As proposed in the handbook installation guidelines, since I’m a LinuxMint user, I used the dd command for the USB memory stick, and Brasero to burn the DVD.
I shall try to find in the vicinity someone with a Windows installed and try again with that Win32 disk Imager.

dd on linux should work fine, I’ve done that a few times.
Can you try to take a picture of the console and post it next time you try?
Also

1. was this the STABLE or UNSTABLE that you used to create the boot device
  2. UEFI or BIOS boot?

Hi Mer,
I used the 17.12 stable release to burn the booting media in both cases.
Booting was UEFI.
I will post a picture of screen a little later.
Thanks,

Hereafter, a picture of my screen after booting halted

Thank you

Let finish booting.

Mine does the same thing, but it does boot.

Something with the updated FreeBSD video drivers, I have the intel video card and using the modesetting driver, if that helps

Good evening,
I burnt TrueOS .img to an USB flash memory using Win32 disk imager as suggested by Mer.
I launched installation and it worked to the “Finish” button.
I clicked on it and shutting down process went on. The BIOS screen was displayed as usual, then nothing but a blinking dash for several minutes.
I reiterated the installation process to the “Finish” button and same result: no booting, only a stubbornly blinking dash.
I’m quite worried; what more could I do to obtain a successful GUI screen proving that booting was correctly performed?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions. If additional information is needed, please let me know.

Asus?

I think searching for Asus in these forums can help. It usually requires special care…

Were you checked the checksum of the downloaded installer?
Check which driver is the right for your card.
As I can see you would like to install in UEFI, is the secure boot optin off? Because if secure boot is enabled, than no way to use the proprietary Nvidia driver without fiddling with UEFI keys. The module is built separately from the kernel package, therefore no way for it to have the same signature as the kernel. Try to intal in UEFI unsecure, but I think the best is if first try the install (if you can) in legacy BIOS mode. And of course don’t forget first clean the HDD (clean not wipe!).

Try an instal without driver (don"t choose at the beginning of the install procedure) leave it for the very and wait for the installer ask (after the first reboot the installer will ask again and will test the choosed driver).

Thank you for your reply.
I used UEFI because this is a default option at BIOS screen opening (f2). I will check your other suggestions.
The file integrity was checked and OK.
My concern is that on this machine, after I gave up with Windows, I installed and tried Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and LInuxMint without any trouble. Why doesn’t TrueOS behave the same?
I prepared another USB flash memory using Linux USB imager utility and reiterated the installation, with same result. Rebooting failure.

Is only the UEFI option in your BIOS? Nothing “legacy” or “unsecure” or something other?

Right. I only have the UEFI option available, nothing else.
ASUS N53Jq - i7 - 16 GB RAM - Keyboard layout: US International with dead keys

I’ll continue trying and digging out. Thanks.

Ok, I think this is an “Windows laptop”, but don’t worry. Than try my last idea:

“Try an instal without driver (don"t choose at the beginning of the install procedure) leave it for the very and wait for the installer ask (after the first reboot the installer will ask again and will test the choosed driver).”
You can try some different driver and the system will give a feedback from the usage of the choosd driver. If you have Nvidia card the scfb driver will good, but you can try every. Sometimes a wrong driver try cause display errors (for example halfed screen) but after a reboot, this will expire and don’t worry, the installer will ask again after the reboot.

As a matter of fact, the USB stick prepared with Linux Disk Imager allows for an apparent full installation until the button “reboot now”.

When I reboot, I only get that stubborn blinking dash.

During installation, I used the default partition architecture. Coulf my problems come from that issue?

Thank you for your help.

If you want to intall the TrueOS as standalone OS, than: Customize Disk Settings-Advanced (Experinenced…)-Use entire disk, but I don’t think that this is the source of the problem.
I think as I wrote:
“if secure boot is enabled, than no way to use the proprietary Nvidia driver without fiddling with UEFI keys. The module is built separately from the kernel package, therefore no way for it to have the same signature as the kernel.”
Were you chosen any Nvidia driver at the begin of the install (1. latest 2. 340.x 3. 304.x)?

I ask because you can choose video driver two times under the install procedure of the TrueOS. First at the beginning of the install procedure ( Optional Installation Packages - Additional Graphics Drivers - Official NVIDIA Drivers)before the first reboot-earlier as the system finalizer steps (your installation stoped at this point now) and later the installer (after the first reboot when you finalizing the system install - choose user name and pass etc) will ask again wich driver would you like to use.

Can you send a picture from your BIOS, where the UEFI option is and a picture from this installer screen:

how “appear” this on your machine (because I would like to know more from your card or cards).

Thank’s!