First, the benefits.
- The install it self went flawless.
- Now I have wireless connection (didn’t have that since I upgraded to 18.03)
- I have sound (also system notifications),but still no mic, but I can live with that so far
- It runs smoothly and fast
BUT… The problems are that insurmountable so if this get don’t solved very soon I will be forced to leave TrueOS/Trident. I can’t sit on a outdated system forever.
- Insight File Manager it totally useless and doesn’t show my files in the home directory and there is no way to copy and paste anything (copy or cutting is doable, but there is no paste).
- Due to this I cannot paste and install my backups from Thunderbird and Firefox. Terminal just says “tar: Error opening archive: Faailed to open backup.tar”. Due to this I cannot use mail or Internet with the Trident install since it just would mess everything up.
- I installed KDE Baseapps. The install it self meet no problems, but… Dolphin opens but shows just an error message “Could not create 1/0-slave. Cannot create outlet to start 1/0-slave for the protocol ‘file’” (hope you understand, I just translated what it says that looks like a Google-translation to me) no files. If I can’t use my files I could as well upload everything to “the cloud”, leave it open to the public and use some shitty ChromeOS 'puter with no harddrive.
KDE and Dolphin works good but not perfect on 18.03 but that’s KDE4, Trident uses KDE5 (I looked for KDE4 in AppCafe after I ran into the problems with 5, but it’s not there.
On the less serious side is that the text on the desktop icons are giant and that the cursor looks more like a drop than a cursor. Don’t know if this can be fixed.
However, these two things are not that serious as the things above. I was thinking if it could have something to do that I use Swedish setting on the OS and that some directories and system texts are in English. But I don’t think it could because even if Insight can’t open a director with another name, it should at least show it, not just say “there is nothing here” and there are some directories where the name is the same in both languages.
At least I’m glad I didn’t try this on my main computer that still is on PC-BSD and probably needs a format to accept Trident because then I would have gone nuts.
Talking about that. This discourse won’t let me open a new thread since it asks for a category and that can’t be done for some reason. Too old browser maybe? So I’m sending this from the rolled back laptop.