Trident builds - so everyone can see the process

For those that do not use telegram.

If you head over to the Project Trident web page --> http://www.project-trident.org/ , scroll down, and look at the bottom right corner. Click on the “build Status” button, you will see the current build status for Project Trident.

This will show you the current build status. Getting to the “build ports” section has been relatively easy. Now the fine tuning for the " release" and “publish” portions of the process.

As you can see, both @beanpole135 and @q5sys have been working very diligently on getting Project Trident up and out for all of us

Maybe it’s better to keep stuff that’s WIP secret and only announce to the world when there’s at least something to download? There is the risk of raising false hopes and disappointment when things are going to be released “Soon.”

There’s a running joke over at gbatemp.net regarding software that is to be released Soon™. I think it was inspired by the ignominious, interminable–the next update is any day now, folks!–demise of Gateway, which really was “the only flashcart…” a few years back.

I also find lots of name-changing (PC-BSD->TrueOS->Trident) an ominous sign: reminds me of the flailing-like-a-magicarp death of Palm/PalmOne PDAs back in the noughties. (There was a brief period when it looked like iDevices might have some competition…)

I’m not tryin’ to give anyone a hard time…just constructive criticism from an armchair software marketing expert. LOL.

And that is your view on the subject, which is cool

There’s a lot of failed packages there.

notice the # of builds. very small.

@beanpole135 had to start from scratch, with no help from the previous trueos builders.

To be honest, this is moving smoother than expected. We were expecting the ports to crash. and it did.

Now they are getting to the final 2 stages, which are becoming fairly more complicated. :frowning:

If anyone has ever played with poudriere will attest. getting that to function can be black magic.

Once these 2 steps , then the real fun begins :slight_smile:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Out of mere curiosity: if Project Trident is based on TrueOS (as in Project Trident = TrueOS + Lumina + ??? = that’s the way I understood it so far), why must the ports be build again and can not simply be reused?
Or will many ports vanish from TrueOS because they are not needed on a server?

At the moment? Changing options trying to get things to work

As a whole? The new trueos (base), has all desktop optimisations turned off.

I’m not which Trident build process is pulling from. A static ports repo, or the new repo being synced with freebsd daily

Make things “default public” and people complain because lots of failures and WIPs.
Make things “default private” and people complain “no transparency” “you’re hiding things” “vaporware”.
Any given decision only half the people are going to like, so do what you think is best for your overall goals.

Me, I prefer as transparent as possible. It lets me see progress, it gives a perspective on “build all the ports” is trivial to say, difficult in reality. The whole flavours of ports, what options to turn on, what to turn off, what breaks if A is on but B is off; yeah, not trivial at all.

Then toss in “essential” or “must haves”: different for everyone. This is why some people still build everything they use from source: they tweak exactly how they desire. Binary updates you’re locked into what is actually built. This is true for all software, not just TrueOS/Trident/FreeBSD/DragonflyBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD. All Linux distributions suffer from, heck even Windows and MacOS do.

Paitence is a virtue; I’d rather have them get it right and take longer than release something half-baked.

Eagerly awaited by many, keep up the great work.

We are patient !

Thanks
J.

I totally agree. From my perspective, the TrueOS project has always had a strong desire to build community involvement/contribution. Hopefully this change for more transparency will better reflect that goal.

Woohoo just checked the last build status and it successfully built the ISO. Lots of testing ahead before a proper release I’m sure but an exciting milestone. Congrats to the team. Can’t wait for the first “Trident tested” release (sorry couldn’t help myself). Is Lumina 2 still planned to make this release or is it pushed back due to these project changes?

You are correct, it got to the ISO build phase. on paper, that looks good :wink:

Was attempted to install inside VirtualBox. That tanked. The devs are looking at the cause.

“It compiled and linked therefore it should be good”

everything on paper looks good :wink:

Forgive me for being slow… I am just learning about this Trident and TrueOS becoming a “CoreOS”.

Is there a page somewhere that explains what is the difference between: FreeBSD, TrueOS and/or TrueOS and Trident?

I always considered FreeBSD to be my Core OS. If I needed a server I just installed FreeBSD. TrueOS was strictly a Great BSD Desktop (My only desktop). Now I am …confused.

Just trying to wrap my head around this … “change” and what it means going forward.

Will TrueOS continue as it is for the rest of the year or more while Trident comes up to speed? or…

Will there be a period like with the PC-BSD/TrueOS transition where both sides had issues and the good replacements in TrueOS-D were still being developed?

Just like when FreeBSD goes from v10 to v11, there is still one or two revisions to v10 in parallel with development of v11.

What should we dependent users expect?

I went to the Trident website on GitHub but no explanation was available even in the FAQ’s … No “About” page. I found some info on another site:
[ https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream ]
[ Let’s drop the misleading info and terminology in “TrueOS becoming a core OS” ]

Thanks
-Ben

Hopefully this will help.
TrueOS Legacy is FreeBSD 12-CURRENT plus work from the FreeBSD graphics repo plus Lumina making a user friendly install (think Ubuntu). The Great Desktop was simply Lumina on top of the FreeBSD base.

TrueOS as “a CoreOS” is basically TrueOS Legacy minus the desktop; more of a server install. This fits in nicely with iXsystems NAS products. Think of it like HardenedBSD: a fork of 12-CURRENT, so they get better hardware support and can integrate fixes quicker. I imagine any fixes will get pushed back upstream.

Trident is basically a user friendly install of desktop environments on top of TrueOS (as a CoreOS), so you wind up with what you have now (TrueOS Legacy).

The biggest difference I think between TrueOS (as CoreOS) and Trident is how packages are built. A server typically wants different options than a desktop.

If you do nothing but wait, I believe that at some point your current TrueOS Legacy (stable and unstable) will tell you “updates available”, you update and when you reboot you are running Trident.

Trident coming up to speed I think is mostly getting the build process worked out.

Above is my opinions, which may or may not reflect the reality of what is going on.