Trident Beta 3: Firefox crashes when moving tabs

Firefox crashes when moving tabs inside a window (from right to left or vice versa):

Blockquote

[trider@trident-1110 ~]$ firefox

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".

console.debug:

startup

APP_STARTUP

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:34: Expected ‘)’ in color definition

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: <data>:1:77: Expected ‘)’ in color definition

console.debug:

studyUtils has config and variation.name: doshow.

Ready to send telemetry

console.debug:

info {"studyName":"searchNudgesExperiment","addon":{"id":"search-nudges@shield.mozilla.org","version":"1.8.2"},"variation":{"name":"doshow","weight":1},"shieldId":""}

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.

This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon ‘dialog-warning’ for stock: Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/dialog-warning.png: Format der Bilddatei unbekannt

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon ‘image-missing’ for stock: Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Format der Bilddatei unbekannt

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon ‘dialog-warning’ for stock: Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/dialog-warning.png: Format der Bilddatei unbekannt

(firefox:60435): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon ‘image-missing’ for stock: Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Format der Bilddatei unbekannt

console.debug:

shutdown

ADDON_UNINSTALL

console.debug:

uninstall or disable

console.debug:

uninstall

1538322250124 addons.xpi WARN Error loading bootstrap.js for search-nudges@shield.mozilla.org: Error opening input stream (invalid filename?): jar:file:///usr/home/trider/.mozilla/firefox/oc0r2knd.default/extensions/search-nudges@shield.mozilla.org.xpi!/bootstrap.js

1538322250126 addons.xpi WARN Add-on search-nudges@shield.mozilla.org is missing bootstrap method uninstall

1538322250128 addons.xpi WARN Attempted to remove search-nudges@shield.mozilla.org from app-profile but it was already gone

Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/local/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/status/image-missing.png: Format der Bilddatei unbekannt (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)

Redirecting call to abort() to mozalloc_abort

Segmentation fault

not on my system, and I’ve been using Beta3 from the day it was released. And i moved tabs about every other day.

To verify, I just moved 3 tabs. No crash

That’s strange. I can verify this behavior every time I try to move tabs. I changed the default language to german, added ublock origin and privacy badger - but this can’t be the reason because it works on any Linux system using Firefox 62.

This is an “upgrade” via Boot Environments, so I have a previous .mozilla directory.

have you tried removing the .mozilla directory?

I renamed it to .mozilla-bak and then started firefox - same crash.

And I just got the same crash behavior when trying to upload an image file. Is there a program like “trace” or “strace” for FreeBSD?

i’m sure that there is, but I don’t know of any at the moment/

truss(1)
<URL:https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=truss&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+12-current&arch=default&format=html>

Trident out of the box has coredumps disabled, you may want to enable via sysctl(8), see core(5):
<URL:https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=core&apropos=0&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+12-current&arch=default&format=html>

Also, you might check the output dmesg(8) to confirm that Trident did not run out of virtual memory and kill firefox.

Happy debugging,
John
groenveld@acm.org

Unfortunately, truss can’t be found by pkg for Trident Beta 3.

Weird!

root@trident:~ # pkg info trident-core
trident-core-201809170930
Name           : trident-core
Version        : 201809170930
Installed on   : Tue Sep 25 10:49:54 2018 EDT
Origin         : trident/trident-core
Architecture   : FreeBSD:12:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : trident
Licenses       : BSD2CLAUSE
Maintainer     : jt@ixsystems.com
WWW            : https://github.com/project-trident/trident-core
Comment        : Core distribution files and utilities for Project Trident
Annotations    :
        FreeBSD_version: 1200065
Flat size      : 1.26MiB
Description    :
Core distribution files and utilities for Project Trident

WWW: https://github.com/project-trident/trident-core

root@trident:~ # pkg which `which truss`
/usr/bin/truss was installed by package FreeBSD-runtime-12.0.s20180924210051

John
groenveld@acm.org

Sorry, my fault :wink: It is already installed.