Trident 18.11 PRERELEASE --- Status Update

Again, we are trying to play catch up with the ever changing trueos base.

We had a good build, or so we thought. For those tracking the build status.

Until we tested in vbox & hardware. The base moved things, again.

The local OPEN-RC stuff was moved into /boot, and the built ISO will NOT function.

Welcome to Monday. @beanpole135 has talked to the trueos devs, and they “fix” today. Followed by another build.

edit: Mon Nov 19 16:15:28 2018 UTC

The next build being prepped and staged, will have the ISO fixes, and the fixes necessary to run/install the ISO

Thank you for this update @RodMyers! - Even if it would have been more soothing to read something different. Dealing with the facts of life. :grimacing:

“it compiled and linked just fine. Everything was ok then we decided to run it”

saw the completed ISO build. we grabbed it threw it on vbox. Nothing worked.

@beanpole135 started looking, and found that error.

In looking at the ISO, he found the whole of the FreeBSD ports tree in the ISO, along with a few other things. That’s how much different the first build has changed to the current underlying trueos

I admire your spirit to come up with a nice and working OS and DE and keeping us updated.

But I’m sorry to say, reading your posts gives me the feeling that sometimes one hand doesn’t know what the other is doing.

I thought the teams of IX Systems, FreeBSD, TrueOS and Trident where the same family and in contact with and talked to each other. But it seems like everybody is working on their own.
FreeBSD Team: “Let’s update”.
TrueOS Team: “Ouch, that didn’t work with us, now we need to rebuild”.
Trident Team: “Double ouch, nigher works with us, now we’ll have to redo it all over again”.
FreeBSD Team: “So you guys got it to work already? Let’s do a major update, hehehe” :smiling_imp:

I hope this is just my imagination and that the teams in fact are talking to each other and just came a little out of luck :wink:

To cheer you up, think I said it somewhere before in this discourse (I’m firstly a motor-guy and computers comes later in my world), I present the old motor-saying: “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”.
Why can’t computer people be the same? :wink:

freebsd has their own devs

while iX employs both trueos and trident, and even share the same office.

it surely seems that way at times

Because things would never move forward. We’d all still be stuck in DOS with 640KB of RAM, that smartphone in your pocket would not exist…

Wouldn’t that be wonderful? :wink:

We would have stable computers (if I’m not mistaken Unix/BSD was prior to DOS), no viruses, no worms, no malware and no spyware that smartphones and modern OS’s, specially Windows 10 and Android, are filled of.

Actually, I don’t own a smartphone (“scratchboard”, as I call them :wink: ), but a Nokia C2-01 with battery power that lasts for two weeks :slight_smile:

I plan to get the new Nokia 3310 4G as soon as it gets to the vest (so far it’s only sold in China, although Nokia is basically a Finnish company).

It would be heaven!

I own a mobile phone of the same model, and no smartphone, too. My battery lasts 8 days, and I couldn’t be happier.

640KB DOS… Good times!

Unix was AT&T proprietary before DOS, Licensing was available (U Cal Berkely gave us Berkely Software Distribution, aka BSD).
Worms: duck duck go Robert Morris Worm (1988)
It’s wikipedia so take with a grain of salt, but there were bad things in the “pre 1970s”.

MS-DOS: not sure when the first release was, but CP/M and DR-DOS were actually out first.
Smartphones: 6’s and 3’s.

Tech has always been an ongoing game of improvements. Look up the specs for the computers used to fly the space missions (how many kids can even spell slide rule now?), look up the specs on old DEC PDP 11/45, Vax etc. Disk drives holding 10’s of MegaBytes that were the size of a clothes washer and just as loud. VT100 terminals playing with ASCII escape sequences to get fancy “graphics”.
Software expands to fill up hardware, hardware takes the next step, software expands, circle continues.

One big thing missing now is the abundance of different operating systems there used to be.

Nope I don’t long for those days, but having lived a bit of it (I had one of the original beige Macs, plus early PCs where you had separate cards for video, sound, hard disk, floppy and you had to pay attention to current draw on the different rails, I have an appreciation for how far things have come.
What is most annoying and amusing is how all this “new” stuff really isn’t.
“Everything in the cloud” golly gee we just rebuilt distributed networked system.

Neither do I, but o well, the older guys always find that the younger are too far out. Like I used to say that I thought my dad was from the younger Stone Age :wink:

But don’t you think that it haven’t gone a little too far? You buy a computer today and tomorrow its obsolete. Everything is app based (actually the AppCafe repository is a good thing since no harmful .exe-files can install them self’s onto the computer) and you’re supposed to store everything in the “Cloud” so anyone who hacks your password can get access to all your files. Next step is the quantum computer which will make all passwords useless.

My solution is to manually copy the files I need to take with me to the laptop as well as to an external backup disk. The only thing I have in the “Cloud” (if we can call it that) is my website, but I don’t have Facebook nor Twitter nor Instagram nor Snapchat. If someone want to get in touch with me I have e-mail, a phone and Skype, but it has become significantly worse after Microsoft bought it.

I just hope that nothing will go south when I install Trident onto the laptop (yet on 18.03) since I have my files on the same partition. The desktop (still on PC-BSD :innocent: ) won’t probably cause any file problems since that has an separate storage drive. But since I use it as my main computer I want to be as sure as possible before I do that and not use a RC version, but wait for the final RELEASE.

Btw, is there a way to save a current installation to another disk or USB-pin e.g. as an imaging file (something like Symantec Ghost) so it’s possible to roll back to it in case something goes south with a new install?

If yes, what’s the command for that? I’m guessing that it may be something like “# dd if=/dev/ada0 of=/dev/da0 backup.img” (probably wrong, but just so you guys understand what I’m looking for).

“Too far” Some of it yes. Websites and desktop environments that have all kinds of spinning flashy things going on when all you want to do is buy something.
A lot of the latest and greatest tech ideas really are variants of things in the past.

Old, young doesn’t matter much. It’s actually listening to each other. I’ve worked with young guys that ignored everything older guys say because “we learned that in school”. Old guys don’t listen to young guys because the young-ens don’t have the real world experience. Everyone can have a good idea once.

Obsolete. Says who? If your computer does what you need it to do, it’s not obsolete. Adding a new program can make it obsolete for the new workload or it becomes obsolete due to security issues.

Save a current installation: what is the filesystem, UFS or ZFS? ZFS you make snapshots and send the snapshots someplace (can even be a file on another disk). UFS something like Clonezilla may work. Doing a dd command will let you copy a device block by block to another device and in theory can work, but make sure your destination device is at least the same size. You also don’t want to be using your source disk at the time because then you are trying to copy as it changes.

It’s ZFS (PC-BSD).
I tried one to run Ghost on it (it’s a small DOS-program that can run from a floppy or what ever). Connected an external floppy drive and tried… Didn’t work. I’m not surprised, but at least I tried :wink:

Ok, but,

1. How do I do a snapshot? O dumb question, I guess in the Control panel => Start Environment.
  2. But how do I send it? I find no option for that.
  3. If necessary and if possible, how do I roll back from an external snapshot?

The easiest way is as root doing ZFS commands.
I have my reference book at home but you can duck-duck-go zfs replication, zfs send, zfs receive to get you started.
rolling back depends on what you are rolling back. Boot environments or a user data set? It all depends on what it is.

Even if you're going to wait to upgrade to the Trident release, you 
should try booting the RC3 installation media.
Check to see if it offers the option to install to a boot environment.

The FreeBSD ZFS handbook is a good starting point for backing up:
<URL:https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/zfs-zfs.html>

John
groenveld@acm.org

OK, I’ll do that. In fact I’ll install the RC3 onto an external HDD by my USB-adapter. I did that before with 18.03 and it worked out well.

I downloaded RC3 and on disk it’s even larger (5,3 GB) than it seemed in the downloader. I don’t think I ever tried to dual layer burn a DVD, so we’ll see what happens.

I don’t know if I have the time to do the installation this week. I’ll get back and tell you guys how it worked out.

RC3 or wait until Friday

The next build will remove a number of items that found their way onto the ISO. It will be more manageable.

The moused issue and a few other issues will be fixed.

OK, great! Will that be RC4 or RELEASE?

what does the title say :wink: