Time sync problem

Hi there,

I am new to TrueOS, I just successfully installed the desktop, but I find the time clock is set to UTC although it said my local time zone, I believe ntpdate is the one to use and it is set to ‘false’ in both running and boot, so I changed that to ‘true’ and reboot, but still the same the time clock won’t sync. it still stick with UTC, why is that ? and how do I force the sync ?

I have the same problem. I did the trick in the “Tips” section, which works for the current session, but at next boot the problem returns. I encountered this problem at times on Linux as well and there was a fix for it on the Ubuntu site, but I am doubtful it would work here.

Just had a thought (a dangerous event for a newbie). Why not open the service manager and make sure the time service is set to run on boot? (Control Panel/Service Manager/openntpd - make “start on boot” true. Just did it on my system; I’ll know next boot if it worked or not.

From the command line try the FreeBSD command :

$ sudo tzsetup

I have now booted twice since enabling openntpd in Service Manager, and both times it boots up with correct time now. so that works, at least on my computer.

Unfortunately, third not a charm, it’s back to being 4 hours ahead. I’m going to go into my CMOS to see if it’s set to universal or local time.

open a terminal and type date?

what does it say?

also check out this --> “https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-set-date-and-time-timezone-in-freebsd/

Hi Rod, it says: Sun Jun 17 22:18:02 EDT 2018

what is it supposed to say?

It’s actually 4:20 pm here.

Woops, make that 6:20 pm

BTW my computer is set to universal time

read the link I sent. it “should” help get the time set properly or at least close enough.

thanks, I’ll give it a go. I made a mistake above - it’s actually 6:20 pm.

I’m in the same time zone.

ok, based on the info in the link, I set it correctly (1806171835). Now, hopefully it will stay fixed!

then type date, again to verify

yeah, it is still correct.
I learned something useful just now. some people put in a #, some a $, and I sometimes copy that when doing a command. Which messes things up. Also, I need to keep in mind that sudo is for when root is required, right? but what about su? I’ve always been confused about that.

See you later, gotta go eat dinner.

Also: I did Maurizios’s suggestion and set time xone from command line, that seemed to work out ok.

Read this but don’t change this:

$ cat /etc/defaults/rc.conf | grep ^ntpd_[es]
ntpd_enable="NO"                # Run ntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).
ntpd_sync_on_start="NO"         # Sync time on ntpd startup, even if offset is high

Now, set both of these to YES instead of NO.

You have to this in “/etc/rc.conf.local” or in “/etc/rc.conf”. Try “/etc/rc.conf.local” first.

Then: Reboot. Then: Check with “date”-command.

Thank guys for the tips, hope this will be included in the update !