Thinkpad W530 boot hang at cuse sometime

I installed a fresh copy of TrueOS STABLE on my Thinkpad W530. Installation was successful. However, the installed OS boots one time out of 3 or 4. It always hangs at the same place

Starting the System Clock Adjuster [UTC]        [ok]
Cuse v0.1.34 @ /dev/cuse

Any idea what might be causing this? I’m using the dedicated nVidia video card. I tried to disable/enable BIOS options such as Memory Protection and virtualisation-related flags without success.

Thanks!

Hm… “cuse” is a kernel module for creating a character device in userspace and has been enabled out-of-box on PC-BSD/TrueOS systems for ages. You could always try disable the cuse module on bootup and see if that helps at all:

Try putting this line in /etc/rc.conf:

modules=`echo ${modules} | sed 's/ cuse / /g'`

Having the same problem on my laptop. Won’t boot as of last night’s updates. I can boot my boot environment from a couple days ago.

the latest UNSTABLE is having issues, go back to previous BE

I have exactly the same problem as shown in your screenshot (exactly the same; even the hex values of address, pointers match)with my thinkpad x201 (ironlake i7). Was able to get the system up by disabling i915kms in rc.conf and setting the xorg video driver to vesa in xorg.conf. Had to boot in single user mode to make the changes.

Hi Ken,

I might be wrong, but I don’t believe that cuse is to blame - it’s what’s coming after.

Cuse v0.1.34 @ /dev/cuse
acpi_video0: <ACPI video extension> on vgapci0
fuse-freebsd: version 0.4.4, FUSE ABI 7.8
nvidia0: <Quadro K1000M> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  375.39  Tue Jan 31 19:13:49 PST 2017
kldload: can't load nvidia: module already loaded or in kernel

As you can see from the logs of a successful boot, I have a nVidia Quadro K1000M on nVidia driver 375.39. Are you aware of any known issue with this driver that might cause my problem?

After the latest STABLE update, i915kms works again on my decrepit old thinkpad X201; no more fatal trap 12.

I re-installed TrueOS using UEFI and now my laptop seems to boot every time.

i keep forgetting to ask that question every time :frowning:

Care to elaborate on why it works with UEFI and not-ish with BIOS?

different code in each system. uefi is moving forward, while bios has “stagnated” a bit.

newer video cards are , more and more, looking for uefi systems to work better.

So I assume I should reinstall and try to use UEFI on my 8 year old Dell Latitude E6510?

I’m willing to go through the lengthy effort if this is the only answer.

This is what fixed for me on my Thinkpad W530.