[Suggestions] LTS version

I tried to use TrueOS as my main workstation OS for a while now, but one thing that kills it for me is that, every time there is an ABI-breaking update, I have all the packages re-downloaded and re-installed.

Is there any plan to have an LTS version of TrueOS tracking FreeBSD -STABLE instead of -CURRENT?

that would be the STABLE branch

Yeah -STABLE, my brain fart…

Actually, TrueOS is tracking FreeBSD-12CURRENT and to the best of my knowledge, that’s what it’s going to track. Not 11-Release or 10-Release. Not sure what is going to happen when 12-CURRENT becomes 12-Release but that’s a little ways off now.

The TrueOS STABLE release is on a 6 month update schedule, so while it tracks 12-CURRENT, it is not changing rapidly. Packages for TrueOS STABLE are also locked down for the 6 month period.

TrueOS UNSTABLE is also based off of 12-CURRENT, but updates on a more frequent schedule, roughly every 2 weeks. Packages in the UNSTABLE repo are locked for that period.
A new TrueOS UNSTABLE release may or may not include updates from FreeBSD proper; the devs in charge of the TrueOS repos (base and ports) keep an eye on commits to FreeBSD so they don’t give us a broken UNSTABLE.

Just because there is an update available, one does not have to install it. If there is an ABI change, one really should have new packages (ports) installed so everything stays consistent.

I see your point, but my suggestion is to branch out a TrueOS LTS when 12-STABLE is released, and have a release cycle of 2 or 4 years on it.

6 months schedule is too quick for enterprise, and having an unstable ABI is annoying. And not updating to avoid a redownloading and reintalling packages is not a solution.

with as may changes that happen each week, and @mer will correct me when I wrong, that upgrade path would be just as bad as 6 month release schedule.

For example. one year ago, only one reboot was required to updating the system. Suddenly, the devs had to troubleshoot why updates suddenly went south. FreeBSD had change major ABI changes, and the 2 reboot upgrade was necessary.

for FreeBSD 10.* & 11.* releases, which move slower, look at GhostBSD

Right now, looking at FreeBSD.org, stable/11 is EOL in 2021, so 3 years from now. stable/12 looks like it may start in Feb 2019, so a year from now.
You’re asking for something similar to the Ubuntu LTS or CentOS/RHEL schedule?
I’m not arguing against it, but I don’t think there are enough current TrueOS devs to deal with that, but I’m sure that if someone (a group of people or companies) wanted to fund something like that, they could make it happen.
The KABI is driven by upstream FreeBSD. Since 12-CURRENT is by definition allowed to change it, as a downstream project TrueOS will always be chasing that. So until FreeBSD proper cuts the stable/12 branches, the TrueOS team has come up with a good compromise (in my opinion). Lock something for 6 months, have something that is quicker so that test time happens.
Enterprise? Not that long ago businesses were finally retiring Windows XP.

I’m on a normal FreeBSD since years, so this is not a personal requests. I tried TrueOS, noticed it’s too unstable for me, and kept my FreeBSD install.

Mine is a just a suggestion for the project, to become more palatable for new users.

Will TrueOS always be following FreeBSD CURRENT?

no, from my understanding, they will be following the 1*.*-CURRENT branch

that would leave ghostBSD to follow 12.0 once it’s released, Like they track 10.* and 11.* at the moment

@to-user @RodMyers Thanks. I thought there was something “on paper” about future plans, I just didn’t look hard enough for it.