Sucess story x 3

Hello lounge.
I have just put TrueOS 18.03 on 3 machines, Apple iMac 2009, intel NUC 6CAYH & a custom build (Corei5 3330 on a Gigabyte B75M-D3H mobo). It was a dead easy install & works fine on all three (with some minor paper cuts). I also tried it on a HP Stream 11 netbook but non working Wifi & no built in Ethernet made it an abort.

I’m a complete virgin with FreeBSD, escaping the horror of sysemd on Linux, so the learning curve begins… I must remark what a pleasure it is to have a system with sane defaults & (gasp) an actual accurate up to date handbook documentation. Newly installed FreeNAS now hosts our files centrally replacing an under powered Synology unit.

Two quick questions:

1. How rough are things in TrueOS unstable?

2. How do I get the Insight file manager to connect to network shares? Using /net/ip or /net/domain does nothing, Insight just goes catatonic.

1> For the most part, UNSTABLE is not much different than STABLE. Yes, there are times when things go sideways, but not as often as they did early on.

Thanks Rod. I may enable UNSTABLE on one machine and observe progress.

Cheers

at this moment, STABLE and UNSTABLE are the same :wink:

Next STABLE release will happen in June. as for a new UNSTBABLE. the devs are working quite a but behind the scenes on things.

Gotcha. I’m guessing ‘behind the scenes’ means no road map or new feature discussion for now. Will follow the blog & twitter feed. Really delighted to be 100% BSD at our place now. Finally I can concentrate on learning the OS step by step.

Cheers!

There is a road map.

Just the paying job has priority over the desktop.

I’m hip :+1:

Could you mention any tricks you used to get it to install on the iMac ?

i’ve got one with High FarceError…oops, I meant Sierra on it and I’ve just about had it with them.

Thanks
J.

Hi Jim!
Installation success is dependent on model.

The Jobs era x86 iMacs were top quality & very compatible. After 2010 or so parsimonious Steve, the ‘logistics genius’ took over & Macs were thereafter built to a price. MacOS reached a peak around v10.6 and went through a long period of …turmoil. 10.11 was the last version I had experience with & whilst it was an improvement on 10.7-10.10 the writing was on the wall for support from Apple on older perfectly usable Mac’s.

The ‘late 2009’ iMac I have has been trialled with many (many) Linux versions but I always had trouble with video drivers.

TrueOS installed & worked without problem & is overall a better experience than Linux (no video problems).

Install : all chips on the mainboard are correctly supported, you dont need Realtech drivers.

Paper cut : After install both the Ethernet & WiFi are active. It appears the Wifi is being used. If you want to use the Ethernet click the Wlan icon configurator & check the ‘Disable’ box - immediately reboot. On restart Ethernet will correctly work reliably.

There are Web sites & nifty app’s which can correctly ID your exact model details Mac from its # in ‘About this Mac’ within MacOS. From this you can research compatibility with other OS’s.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tips.

As for my comments about Steve Jobs and what was done to OSX, it is that I think he is a complete [*** CENSORED ***].

:slight_smile:

J.

MacOS (or whatever it’s called this week) is arguably the finest Unix Desktop money can buy. My objections stem from the forced obsolescence, the walled garden, overall expense & lack of choice from a sometimes very unresponsive single proprietary vendor. We used MacOS from System 7-9 then took a break during the dark years until Steve returned. Got some new Mac’s & used MacOS 10.0 - up to 10.11 then left the platform for good. In the intervening years we used Linux, Slackware then Ubuntu & later Arch via Manjaro. Until 5 years ago I felt I knew how my Linux box’s worked & could do cool stuff including gasp, fix them… then the shadow of systemd fell across the land and with each passing year I felt less in control & more like I was back in a proprietary OS again. Trying to understand how any of the 700+ Linux distro’s work including regular undocumented changes by the arrogant systemd dev at Redhat just is too hard. Been dying for a decent FreeBSD based desktop for a very long time & finally TrueOS is at that state where we can put it on all our machines & marry them up to a FreeNAS server. Sanity prevails at last.

If anybody is interested in our NUC 6CAYH experience be aware that intel has released some models (including this one) with a rinky dink ‘converter chip’ on the HDMI. What this means is, out of the box you get NO SOUND via HDMI even with NSAsoft.

A BIOS firmware update will be needed, very easy to do by downloading it to a FAT formatted USB & booting into BIOS update. In addition you then must grind through the full install of NSAsoft, install the intel video drivers, then download & run the NSAsoft only firmware updater for the Megachips [TM] ‘LSPcon’ chip. After this NSAsoft has sound & video via HDMI at all resolutions & bitrates.

Linux, no sound unless you have a bleeding edge Arch based distro or want to do brain surgery on other distro’s to get the bleeding edge DRM drivers. Yes, even with the firmware updates, a bleeding edge driver is needed from intel.

BSD’s : no sound via HDMI. Instead use the VGA output for Video display & take a 3.5mm stereo line out from the front mounted earphone jack to your speakers. Works for me [TM]

Cheers

Very well said, including that bit about “whatever it’s called this week”.

instead of adding features, each successive OSX release - Lion, Mountain Lian, Flying Weasel, whatever, quietly moved and/or deleted features (ooops ! where’s that secure delete in High Sierra, ooops, where did that create disk image thingy go) while Apple focused on IPhones, blundered into dropping ZFS, and has essentially abandoned a huge and loyal base.

TrueOS’s ZFS implementation, it’s performance is spectacular. Believe me I know after I watched my gigantic herbal archives, gigabytes of pdfs, image files, lectures, mp4’s and 3’s literally bring my old Windows XP file system to a halt, as it barfed on foreign language filenames, rearranged my icons or told me that I, as system administrator, could not delete a file which then required a reboot to something called “Safe” mode to try and fix it. My movement to Fedora, and soon thereafter OSX in the mid 2000’s was prompt.

Windows 7 was the best of the Windows operating systems - Microsoft of course promptly forced users out of it. Snow Leopard was the best of OSX - it’s been downhill ever since. The much vaunted new Apple file system is a pathetic loser compared to the power and versatility of ZFS.

But all is not well on the TrueOS horizon. A great many of us are NOT programmers and systems geeks and do NOT have time to this or that workaround It is the bugs that has stopped me from fully implementing TrueOS as my main system. I’m stuck at OSX 10.10.1 (because a simple program to easily SHUT UP talkative software that wants to phone home, or somewhere, with all sorts of information, a program called “TCPBlock” won’t run on any OSX after Yosemite.

I verified that NFS worked beautifully for big file transfers from OSX (a High Sierra iMac that I have) to a TrueOS box but, again, everything must work without experimentation and “workarounds” before I can safely utilize this tremendous breakthrough operating system.

When … and if… you get it fully working, I can see a tremendous shift from disaffected High Sierra and Windows 10 users to TrueOS which would revolutionize the desktop and small biz computing environment.

The modern approach of software companies fractionating major software into “services” is idiotic and is frustrating and angering users. Opensource software can and will put a stop to this kind of profiteering but only once systems are available which do not require excessive tinkering, workarounds or reinstalls.

The next time i’ll have a chance to try TrueOS…AGAIN… will be in June, maybe.

Meanwhile, keep up the great work !! I was a software developer once, I know what’s it’s like - the closer you get to the goal, the harder each next step becomes, as issues of integration, coordination and communication become predominant along with testing and bug fix assimilation.

Hi Sigawan,

I would like to install TrueOS on a 2009 MacBook Pro. Any pointers and/or process tips for getting TrueOS installed Apple equipment would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
wahjr