Server TrueOs 18.03 post installation, What to do?

Hi,
I am a newbie and wanted to try out - what is a server.
Have an old pc, pentium dual-core lying around, so I installed it, in text mode.

My goal is to setup mysql, python3, mariadb, django using nginx…going to take me some time, being a newbie, lol…

Anyway how do I do an update with TrueOs? Google a bit but all I got was Freebsd…like
root@host:~# freebsd-update fetch install

If using pkg do I still have to install the ports system?
root@host:~# cd /usr/ports
root@host:/usr/ports# make index
root@host:/usr/ports# portsnap fetch && portsnap extract && portsnap update

How do I setup the pkg/port system?

In other words, What to do post installation of TrueOS 18.03 Server build?

More than likely, a reinstall is in order.

Try looking at the handbook --> https://www.trueos.org/handbook/trueos.html

Hmmmm… Why do you say a reinstall is in order?

Been there. It is all …errr…GUI based.
The server installation is all console/terminal based … a lot of difference.
E.g…
2.9. Booting Into TrueOS®
2.9.1. rEFInd Boot Manager…don’t apply in console/terminal
2.9.2. BSD Boot Loader…yes it does display this.
2.11. Choose a Language…No…Do not remember having to choose a language…default English for server I think.
2.12. Time Zone Selection…No…Do not remember this one either.
2.13. Set the Root Password…Yes …errr…
It requested for hostname then root password, then a user name and a user password. Upon finished
installation, can only sign in as root. The user password does not work although the the user name is there…
I did a pw adduser …it confirmed the user already exists.

4.1. Server Installation…also different, no GUI.
4.3. Using the System Utilities Menu…The only thing that look the same.

Did a search on update at TrueOS user guide got this:

Search Results

Search finished, found 7 page(s) matching the search query.

**5. Using TrueOS®**
...`System Settings <luminaconfig.html#system-settings>`: Central location for all configurable system utilities. |lumina| updates this category as new utilities are added and removed. :lumbk:`User Settings <luminaconfig.html#user-settings>`:...
**1. Introduction**
...emory sticks. * The |trueos| boot menu supports boot environments or snapshots of the operating system. The |trueos| Update Manager automatically adds a new boot environment to the boot menu before updating the operating system. With...
**2. Install**
...nded for users who want to test and contribute patches to FreeBSD or |trueos|. Periodically, the |sysadm| :sysclbk:`Update Manager <update-manager>` provides patches to update the operating system. By default, users who install STABLE r...
**4. Advanced Installation Topics**
...the various |trueos| installer screens. Once opened, you'll see the menu shown in :numref:`Figure %s <util1>`. .. TODO update screenshot and text once fixgrub option is removed. .. _util1: .. figure:: images/util1a.png :scale: 100%...
6**. TrueOS Pico®**
...index:: pico .. _trueos pico: |trpi| ****** .. warning:: As a result of TrueOS using OpenRC and other changes, an update to these instructions, especially server initialization, is forthcoming. |trpi| is an initiative to connect m...
**7. Help and Support**
...able to import the home directory after the upgrade is complete. If the system is using |pcbsd| 10.x, the option to update to |trueos| does not appear in the Control Panel version of Update Manager. This is because a new installation is...

Do not have anything about what to do after server installation. Or anything about how to do it…
I hope I am making sense?

if you have tinkered with freebsd ports and attempted upgrade using the freebsd commands, more than likely you have more than likely put the trueos-server in a state that an unrecoverable state.

Server install has no gui, correct

Did you run these commands?

quoting you

"Anyway how do I do an update with TrueOs? Google a bit but all I got was Freebsd…like
root@host:~# freebsd-update fetch install

If using pkg do I still have to install the ports system?
root@host:~# cd /usr/ports
root@host:/usr/ports# make index
root@host:/usr/ports# portsnap fetch && portsnap extract && portsnap update"

Oh, sorry, I seems to not communicate very well.

No. After installation, I did the following…

1.) pkg update … I think it said all current.
2.) pkg install vim … it installed VIM

I posted these commands is because I am not sure those were the correct command to use. I
can’t find any console commands that relate to TrueOS…

And Oh… err … I tried to shut down, shutdown -r now, it shutdown but reboot immediately…went to login page.
I turn off the power to power off the computer.

okay, now I understand.

to update the system -->

sudo pc-updatemanager pkgcheck
sudo pc-updatemanager pkgupdate

pkg, like freebsd, is the way to install and remove stuff

Ah…thank you very much for your patient and reply.

For TrueOS there is no port management? No port snap … thinngy?

Errr…google for - TrueOS console command - but did not find anything. Any idea where I can look it up as
the TrueOS server operates using the console/terminal.

How do I change the keyboard layout to colemak?

portsnap will screw up your trueos install. “Most” ports are available vis pkg.

look at the handbook. not sure what you are looking to do, sorry.

No idea how the server offers the login into the computer. Maybe handbook or other users can offer better assistance

https://www.trueos.org/handbook/trueos.html

I don’t have a server installed, but I think under the desktop is the same under the hood. Most info from the handbook should still apply. If you dig the handbook and this forum dipper, you’ll find how to configure it with cmdline. Being BSD derivative, some/most FreeBSD stuff is applicable to TOS, you just need to remember TOS uses openrc:
https://www.trueos.org/handbook/using.html#managing-system-services-and-daemons

The pkg is for installing precompiled packages, as in FreeBSD. And the base system.

Ports are available through git repo:
https://www.trueos.org/handbook/using.html#freebsd-ports

You can convert TrueOS server to desktop by installing the desktop meta package.
John
groenveld@acm.org

man shutdown
-r is reboot
-h is halt and leave power on
-c is cycle power (if hardware supports it)
-p is halt and poweroff

Thanks vit for the openrc tip…going to look into that next and ipfw.

Going to make this my home server, for me to learn python3, django, mariadb, mysql, html, css…looking at DDNS and port forwarding next and what not. See how it goes.

Arhhh…used the wrong prefix, -r, no wonder it keeps rebooting…lol… thanks for the reminder.