RC3 - update (taken from telegram) - discussion thread

how large was the flash drive?

zareason has weird love/hate relationship. I have a zareason, and I put linux back on it.

they use a bastardized efi setup

Flash drive is 32 GB. I wondered about the efi as I had to change those settings to get as far as I did. The only issue I have with 18.03 is (I think) a Lumina issue where it ignores the first keystroke after booting. So, to logiin, press and release the shift key, then type the password. I like it otherwise.

for me, changing from mixed mode to uefi. only linux would boot. pcbbsd/trueos would abort.

in contacting zareason support, it took 6 months. their response was something like, “we support linux only”

I told them that TrueOS was an obscure Linux distro and they seemed a little more helpful. I was going to buy a laptop from them, but they said they couldn’t make it work with TrueOS’s version of Linux. :grin:

i like hardware, but their after purchase support, not so much

My experience with their support was not good. First the keyboard failed and they finally sent me a replacement. Maybe part of my “Lumina” problem? Then the left “mouse” button became intermittent and zareason wouldn’t help so my wife abandoned this machine after she melted the upper left corner of the lid/screen. It became my place for experimentation. It came mixed mode with efi disabled. Switched to UEFI and 18.03 would boot, but it wouldn’t see the USB stick. Back to mixed mode but with efi enabled and it tries to boot the USB stick, fails and then boots 18.03. I was astonished that 18.03 TrueOS installed with the wireless working and touchpad working without intervention.

Tsktsk, that’s evil :smile:

Lumina bug: “desktop management is not active” is the translation of the german error message. Maybe “disabled” instead of “not active”.

Sorry if my comments offended. Not my intention. I like TrueOS 18.03 and use it daily.

BTW, I solved the RC3 boot problem by creating a “new” USB stick. Many changes including formatting a previously used known good 16GB USB2 stick in place of a new USB3 stick and increasing the block size in the dd copy.

Thanks to all for your help.

A suggestion, since I know at least one other user has asked about this: could the Downloads page provide “more clear” instructions on how to verify the ISO using the SSL signature, i.e. what command to run (even if it is possible to eventually figure this out from man openssl-dgst)? For example:

$ openssl dgst -sha512 -verify trident-master.pubkey -signature Trident-RC3-x64-20181110.iso.sha512 Trident-RC3-x64-20181110.iso
Verified OK

I don’t have a problem with SSL signature verification being used instead of PGP verification, in terms of security or other technical merits. I’ve just never encountered an SSL signature being provided for verifying a file download before, and I would think there’s less awareness of it for this purpose compared to using e.g. gpg --verify.