Ken Moore, [10.11.18 09:25]
Status update on the RC3 testing:
- VirtualBox tests looked good: Fresh install, BE install, and updates are fine. Package availability and functionality from the repo seems fine.
- Live system tests are a mixed bag: Quite a few of our laptops are experiencing bootup issues either on the install ISO or post-installation when booting the newly-installed system. We have narrowed it down to the fact that FreeBSD enabled the new “lua”-based bootloader by default now instead of the traditional “forth”-based bootloader. This boot issue seems to impact most of our older Lenovo laptops, but newer systems or systems with a newer BIOS revision seem to be working fine.
- I have been digging into the FreeBSD build flags, and think I have found the option to disable the lua bootload and use the forth one again.
- We try to pull a newer version of TrueOS/FreeBSD and see if anything in the lua bootloader has been fixed recently.
- We release this RC3 image with strong warnings about the bootloader.
Problems With Solutions
- The forth loader might be irrevocably broken in source or permanently disabled in the build procedures now (not sure - I have heard mixed reports on it from Kris with regards to TrueOS). It will probably take some time to work this out and do a bunch of builds with different flags.
- I have another TrueOS-distro project I work on for iXsystems which does need/use the latest sources and FreeBSD itself is incredibly broken right now. Kris and TrueOS are still trying to “fix” the FreeBSD build procedures after their latest changes so that things actually work again, but it will take some time before things are ready to be used/tested on that side.
- Release this build as version RC3, with warnings/notices about bootloader issues.
- For RC4, try to switch back to the forth-based bootloader via changing the build flags.
- Wait another month or two for things to stabilize in FreeBSD/TrueOS before moving to a newer version of base.
Once on RC3, upgrading/updating should as be simple as before