RC1 has been unleashed

Do you mean I cannot upgrade from last TrueOS with GUI (18.03) to first non beta, non -rc Project Trident version when it is ready? Webpage of Project Trident in that case is somewhat misleading. (Somehow I miss old PC-BSD days…)

yeah. we were all mislead when the split happened.

About April time, we were told NO upgrade path, period.

A lot of us feel that way.

The upside, nothing touches your ~/HOME directory…

The downside, at the moment, None of the /etc configurations are able to be carried forward, so … :frowning:

edit:
I wish I had better news, but that’s where we are at the moment

Actually it doesn’t :wink:
I just feel more confused. However, when you say 1212 I guess you mean the version of FreeBSD while 1812 is the version of TrueOS/Trident, Right?
But why do you talk GhostBSD? Is that now connected to Trident? I was checking out the screenshots at GhostBSD’s website. It looks almost like PC-BSD or TrueOS Desktop but without AppCafe.

You say that @TiberiusDuval can install RC1 into his 18.03 BE. But I wouldn’t call that an update. Update is when you can run the OS’s update manager. But on the Trident website it still says:
“TrueOS Desktop (18.03)
How-to upgrade from the final release of the TrueOS desktop edition to Project Trident
Coming Soon: Instructions for using pc-updatemanager to perform the update.”

In my vocabulary this means that RC1 is not the final STABLE release. Sure RC is non beta, but it’s still a candidate for release and not a real STABLE release.

I’ll be perfectly satisfied if the real STABLE release of Trident won’t arrive until December or January or even February. I can wait. But I don’t want to install something that’s half ready or some candidate for release, but the real thing since I use BSD as my primary OS and not something I’m testing/trying out/playing around with on a spare computer while I’m using Windows on the real one.
In fact I’ve totally abandoned all kind of Windows and Microsoft stuff for BSD that I think is way better.

1212 should 1812.

Project Trident uses trueos as it’s base OS. Now, ghostbsd is switching to use trueos it’s base OS. Both develepors, @beanpole135 & @ericbsd are both employees of iXsystems.

That is an “update” as compared to a clean install. Otherwise, you’d have to back up your ~/HOME directory. The only developer, @beanpole135, is both the web maintainer , so yeah, we’ll change that.

You’re call. The RC is going to stay that way until the trueos devs, who were the pcbsd devs, quit having a moving target. Once this RC, and “maybe” a couple more get settled down, things will be more stable.

This is my daily driver, still has 1803 on it, but using RC1 installed into a new BE…

I think @kris ones said one reason for leaving PC-BSD and go into TrueOS was to get rid of the Alphabet soup.

OK, Project Trident uses TrueOS as its base OS and TrueOS uses FreeBSD as its base OS. IMHO, I think we got more Alphabet soup instead of less :crazy_face: :rofl: :wink:

O well, I’m getting it a little better now.

I guess that makes my assumption correct that it may take a while/a few months until we’ll see a final release of Trident. But that’s fully OK with me since I want the OS as stable as possible.

I was thinking of switching to GhostBSD, but there are two reasons I don’t.

• I don’t like DE’s Mate nor XFCE.
  • It seems it doesn’t have an AppCafe. So when you install GhostBSD you get what it’s contains, no more, no less.

On my 18.03 I naturally have Lumina. But I added some base stuff from KDE on top of it, like Dolphin, Gwenview and Okular and I got it to look really nice.

The only thing I miss is like I said in Beta03 is out, so have at it the other day,that the mic doesn’t work. But I hope that will be fixed in Trident.

mic and webcam

@beanpole135 is looking

Somehow I’m thinking to do as soon as I can to back up my TrueOS home to NTFS disk, and then install vanilla FreeBSD to that TrueOS disk and go through hassle of configuring FreeBSD to work as desktop system, done that once can do that again. Seems to me that current way how things are done after end of PC-BSD is not workable for someone wanting stable and usable OS. Half a year without package updates, and so on is simply too much for me, and if team is just couple of guys then there is nothing better in future.

Desperate situation required desperate measures!

I trashed my 18.3 for no reason to test beta. There’s no path to carry on with updates/upgrades from Beta 3 onto RELEASE of Trident. I needed working iocage to bring my jails back alive with mail server, http and php dev. world that my mate was working on in my jail.

So, I found RELEASE that works for me and my jails :)) It’s not as good looking compared to TrueOS/Trident/FreeBSD-12, but it will do for now, until 1212 lol

I’ve done that, a desktop from scratch, a bunch of times. It’s simple and can be done within half an hour I’d say. On slower machines I prefer to do that over TOS. I just really like how it gets configured with TOS out of the box and I’ve never been able to get sysadm to work right on vanilla, though.

Well, GhostBSD indeed doesn’t have AppCafe but it’s important to clarify that doesn’t mean you cannot install additional programs. You can always install/delete software through the terminal or, if you prefer a graphical way, you got OctoPkg at your service.

Finally I followed your advice and used the command ‘# strings kernel’ on the mounted /boot/kernel folder of the downloaded iso image.

amd64
@(#)FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Oct  8 16:37:41 UTC 2018
FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Oct  8 16:37:41 UTC 2018
    root@poseidon:/usr/obj/usr/src_tmp/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC
FreeBSD clang version 6.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_600/final 326565) (based on LLVM 6.0.0)
FreeBSD
12.0-CURRENT
GENERIC
root@trident-2863:/mnt/boot/kernel # uname -a
FreeBSD trident-2863 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Oct  8 16:37:41 UTC 2018     root@poseidon:/usr/obj/usr/src_tmp/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64

The last lines of the strings command and the output of uname -a are identical. So now I think this is not a BETA3 but a RC1 system.

Could not install RC-1 regardless of install media used.
Downloaded install image
verified with sig file

USB
Wrote image file to usb stick with dd
Tried multiple times with different brand usb sticks
Result:
BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
consoles: internal video/keyboard
Bios drive c: is disk0
Bios drive d: is disk1
Bios drive e: is disk2
Bios drive f: is disk3
Bios 637kB/3406528kB available memory

FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader revision 1.1
read 272 from 128 to 0xcbfd3550 error 0x20
read 258 from 2 to 0xcbfc3950 error 0x20
read 260 from 64 to 0xcbfcb550 error 0x20
read 1 from 64 to 0xcbfcb550 error 0x20
read 1 from 1 to 0xcbfc3750 error 0x20
panic: free: guard1 fail@0xcc3db650 from unknown:0

DVD
Wrote to DVD-R media with growisofs
While booting, this error showed up in stuff scrolling down screen

sysctl: oid debug.witness.trace
could not set kernel parameters
sysctl failed to start

this repeated once
But it did boot and got to installer
Keyboard icon on left side greyed out
Select install location screen:
Could not select BE option
“next” button greyed out and nothing I tried including filling every field on advanced tab
would make it available
“Shutdown” button did work.

% about

===================
General information

boot environment now (N) … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20180330_123436 NR 2018-03-30
after restart ® … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20180330_123436 NR 2018-03-30
boot loader …………………………………… BSD
type ……………………… BIOS
CPU ………………………………………………………… AMD Phenom™ II X6 1075T Processor
number of cores ……………… 6
host ……………………………………………………… dita
memory ………………………………………………… 8960 MB available, 7031 MB free
OS git branch ……………………………………………………………………………………… trueos-stable-18.03
OS git revision ………………………………………………………………………………… fa797a5a3
OS kernel build time ………………………………………………………… Mon 2018 Mar 26 00:24:47 UTC
OS kernel identity …………………………………………… (uname -i) GENERIC
OS platform (architecture) ……………………… (uname -m) amd64
OS release level ………………………………………………… (uname -r) 12.0-CURRENT
OS version and patch level …… (freebsd-version) 12.0-CURRENT
TrueOS package set ………………… STABLE
TrueOS version …………………………… TrueOS-Desktop-201803131015
uptime ………………………………………………… 1 min
user …………………………………………………… hcd

More (TrueOS Desktop):

desktop environment …… Lumina
sound card driver ………… pcm4: <Realtek ALC892 (Analog 5.1/2.0)> (play/rec) default
wireless driver ……………… 
X11 drivers ………………………… nvidia_drv.so 

______________________________________-
Graphics card GTX 460
Motherboard ECS A890GXM-A

Tried including as much info as possible for developers.
Hope RC-2 works better for me.

An option.

Create a test BE, and upgrade

sudo trueos-upgrade

If you were replying to me, thanks.
However,
sudo: trueos-upgrade: command not found

Can you boot a USB stick with FreeBSD 12 alpha?
<URL:https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/>
John
groenveld@acm.org

my bad, you are correct

Will give it a try.
Be back in a bit.

No problem.
Any other ideas?

this is what i use (USB & your drives might be different)

sudo dd if=Trident-BETA3-x64-20180925.iso of=/dev/da0 bs=4M conv=sync

can you try NOT installing the nvidia driver during the install, using vesa driver instead.

this ISO, should have the ability to use BE, it work for me

Yep, Freebsd12-alpha9 booted up no problem.