Question regarding Lumina icon theme

With my preferences being set as they are should the directory tree in Lumina-FM not be “material-design” as well? (See images attached.)

===================
General information

boot environment now (N) … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20170704_202439 NR 2017-07-04
after restart ® … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20170704_202439 NR 2017-07-04
boot loader …………………………………… BSD
type ……………………… EFI
CPU ………………………………………………………… Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
number of cores ……………… 8
host ……………………………………………………… trueos-L
memory ………………………………………………… 16384 MB available, 13362 MB free
OS git branch ……………………………………………………………………………………… trueos-stable
OS git revision ………………………………………………………………………………… ac2f0aa3b
OS kernel build time ………………………………………………………… Wed 2017 Jun 21 01:09:23 UTC
OS kernel identity …………………………………………… (uname -i) GENERIC
OS platform (architecture) ……………………… (uname -m) amd64
OS release level ………………………………………………… (uname -r) 12.0-CURRENT
OS version and patch level …… (freebsd-version) 12.0-CURRENT
TrueOS package set ………………… STABLE
TrueOS version …………………………… TrueOS-Desktop-201706210948
uptime ………………………………………………… 33 mins
user …………………………………………………… delipu

More (TrueOS Desktop):

desktop environment …… Lumina
sound card driver ………… pcm0: <Conexant CX20590 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
wireless driver ……………… iwn0
X11 drivers ………………………… intel_drv.so

Black and white icons

Switched to UNSTABLE last night and activated the lumina theme engine.

The regular user’s directory tree now shows the material design icons, too. However, the directory view now shows different, i.e. non-consitent icons for some directories (I will add a screenshot later).

Additionally, when I launch lumina-fm as root I am still seeing the “old”, i.e. non-material-design icons in the directory view.

Did you open up the theme engine settings? (Look for the “Lumina Theme Engine” application in the settings category)

We are still in the middle of syncing the themes page in lumina-config with the theme engine settings (rather than using a separate settings location for the desktop), so for the moment you need to change the icon theme in both places for a more uniform look.

Yes I did. The settings are the same. I have a series of screenshots indicating where the correct icons show and where not. FYI, the panel on the left should show icons for Thunderbird, Firefox, Lumina-FM, App Café, Control Panel and gscan2pdf.

Screenshot-app-select-iconsScreenshot-menu-iconsScreenshot-lumina-fm-icons

Screenshot-sudo-lumina-fm-iconsScreenshot-panel-select-icons

The only screenshot there that looks out of sorts is second one with lumina-fm (blue folders on the left side within the tree view). That can happen if you launched the application before enabling the lthemeengine, since applications only load a theme engine when they first start up.

As for the rest of the “colorized” icons, those are the icons installed by their respective applications and are found outside of the icon theme. Some icon themes do provide “overrides” for common application icons such as firefox or thunderbird, but that is up to the designers of the icon theme. A good example of this is the VLC icon in your last screenshot, notice that it is also in the black/white format. That is because there must be a “vlc” icon within the material-design icon theme.

If you want to see which icons are available in a particular theme, you can always browse the icons directly on your system (/usr/local/share/icons/[theme name]). Many themes (including material-design) will have an “applications” or “apps” subdirectory if you just want to look for application-override icons.

Many thanks for shedding some more light on this.

But the panel on the left (qterminal, calculator etc.) was showing the correct icons before I switched to UNSTABLE (independent from the theme engine I use). The “general file” icons were showing the lumina-fm, firefox, thunderbird, app cafe, control panel and gscan2file icons when I was still on STABLE. So the correct icons should be there.

As for the “blue folders issue”, this also happens independently from the theme engine I use. I does not really annoy me, in fact that way I can directly see whether I have root or user permissions. :slight_smile:

Neither the latest UNSTABLE nor the Lumina 1.3.3 update did solve the icon issue. In fact, Lumina cannot find any icons for the panel, no matter what icon set I choose.

I just opened a Github issue for this:

https://github.com/trueos/lumina/issues/468