Py36-iocage service won't start

Iocage installed from Trident packages using App Cafe on a new install. I note that it is version 1.0, while GitHub has 1.1. Anyway, I tried to start the service using the SysAdm app and from CLI: As root:

service iocage start

• Starting iocage …
    Usage: iocage [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]…

Error: No such command “rcboot”. [ !! ]

• ERROR: iocage failed to start

I looked at /usr/local/etc/init.d/iocage and found:

name=“iocage”
description=“Control iocage-managed jails”
depend()
{

need localmount
after network
keyword -shutdown -stop -jail
}

start()
{
ebegin "Starting name" /usr/local/bin/iocage rcboot eend ?
}

stop()
{
ebegin "Stopping name" /usr/local/bin/iocage rcshutdown eend ?
}

It seems that the error comes from the rcboot statement. Is this code outdated and updated somewhere? Has anyone else had trouble getting service iocage to start? And, yes, I have iocage_enable=“YES” in my rc.conf

What’s weird is that despite this ‘failure’, iocage partially works anyway…
If anyone out there has had this problem and corrected it, please share!

2otherjobs (Tom)

I don’t use iocage, but the argument “rcboot” is getting passed to the command /usr/local/bin/iocage and the error indicates it’s not a valid argument.

see what you get if you type in:
/usr/local/bin/iocage --help

That should display some sort of help, maybe even a list of valid commands.
then “man iocage” to see what that has for more information.

That’s about all I can help with I’m afraid.

I found that rcboot (as well as rcshutdown later in the file) are no longer in the list of iocage commands. I will try to replace those commands with others (start and shutdown are the only related options on the list) and see what happens.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

be aware in the next upgrade py36-iocag will not be available, it failed to build

=========================================================================== =======================<phase: fetch-depends >============================ =========================================================================== =======================<phase: fetch >============================ ===> License BSD2CLAUSE accepted by the user => iocage-iocage-1.1-19d8eb7f4272dac7e206b4f827732f46177439c8_GH0.tar.gz is not in /usr/ports/sysutils/iocage/distinfo. => Either /usr/ports/sysutils/iocage/distinfo is out of date, or => iocage-iocage-1.1-19d8eb7f4272dac7e206b4f827732f46177439c8_GH0.tar.gz is spelled incorrectly. *** Error code 1

Thanks. I have 1.0 working after making a minor change to init.d/Iocage. So I will sit this upgrade out.

thought I’d give you a heads up

Just hit me to ask - is there something I have to do freeze py36-iocage at version 1.0 to avoid it AUTOMATICALLY

being updated to version 1.1? Or can I set a flag that will permit the other packages to update but not that one next time Trident rolls out an update?

in a terminal, if you really want to lock that package, open a terminal and type

sudo pkg lock p36-iocage (if that is the actual name)

from the man page

pkg lock Prevent modification or deletion of a package.

SOLVED
FWIW, replacing a minor amount of code in /usr/local/etc/init.d/iocage fixed the problem:

rcboot eend?
replaced by
start —rc

and the code
rcshutdown eend?
with
stop —rc

then save the changes. Run

service iocage start
and py36-iocage starts successfully.

This change survives reboot. It does NOT survive Trident software updates - the latest update to more current version of py36-iocage-1.0 reversed my changes. Same fix applied again worked.

Is there a way to pass this on the the pkg devs?

The “most correct” way is git clone the pkg tree, make the change then submit a pull request.
Another way would be create a patch with diff -u, submit a bug on github for the issue and include the patch.
I don’t know which way would be preferred.