Partioning - re-dimensioning

Hi !

I have a problem…

My main HD is a SSD divided in two main partitions, one for Windows and one for BSD.
My BSD partition (ZFS) is nearly empty…
My Windows partition (NTFS) is full…

I need to decrease the size the size of the BSD partition and to increase the windows one.

In linux and windows worlds I was used to do that stuff with GParted… but it sees the BSD partition as “something” and cannot do anything more than “delete” !!! :tired_face:

Does it exists a tools as simple as GParted for BSD (and other) partitions ?

Are you using FreeBSD, DragonFlyBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc?.. I know on one of my FreeBSD machines it did not like ZFS and had to go with UFS, and on the same machine when I threw TrueOS on it and it did ZFS without complaining. Also gparted is available on both FreeBSD and TrueOS I believe.

I think the best you’re going to be able to do is shrink the BSD partition and create another NTFS one behind it because most filesystems don’t do well when you move the front of the partition, but can cope with the back moving. That said you should be able to boot into a “live” FreeBSD media and use the tools there. You’ll likely have to drop to the expert shell mode or recovery mode to access them. No the tools won’t be as simple as the graphical gpartd.

My opinion only:
You’d be better off backing up whatever data you need from the BSD bits, getting a second disk, deleting the existing BSD partition, resizing the NTFS one, reinstalling BSD onto a second device and then restoring your data.

@Groot,

I use TrueOs. GParted does not see ZFS…

@mer,

My opinion only:
You’d be better off backing up whatever data you need from the BSD bits, getting a second disk, deleting the existing BSD partition, resizing the NTFS one, reinstalling BSD onto a second device and then restoring your data.

I will do that, it will be simpler.

You cannot shrink ZFS paritions so you have to zfs send/receive onto a smaller partition if you don’t want to start over.

@danboid, @mer,

Thanks, I have already ça celles m’y ZFS partition, resized my NTFS partition and created a new ZFS partition.

I have then done a new installation of TrueOs.
Refine worked fine.

While last time everything gone well, this time I had two kinds of problems :

• the WiFi did not show me my Ssid and I managed through the “hidden” button to create them… then they disappeared… then one reappeared and remained and not the others !!! (I know that Ethernet should be better but my laptop has it only through a usb - Ethernet cable and this one does not work more…),
  • AppCafe did not show me the available packages !!! All was blank… I made a tentative of update and it proposed me 692 ! Ok I launched… yesterday evening and this morning it was not finished !

I stopped the updates and tried to close TrueOs but it refused because of updates in hand !
Ok, I came back to AppCafe and found that now I can see the available packages !
I did not tried to load one because it seems that it is better to do one thing after the other with TrueOs :smile:

If you have an advice on this, do not hesitate !

Today, it seems to be better and I go forward !