Optimal hardware for TrueOS

Hello Everyone

I am going to use TrueOS as my main desktop. With that end in mind, I will purchase the following hardware. A friend of mine who knows about FreeBSD/TrueOS recommended this hardware config. I can not wait to receive the assembled parts and to get it working.

Please find the hardware specs below, just for curiosity sake.

Processor Intel Core i5-6400 Quad-Core 2.7GHz c/ Turbo 3.3GHz 6MB Skt1151 (BX80662I56400)

Motherboard Asus Z170-P (90MB0NR0-M0EAY0)

RAM Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-2400MHz Cinzentas (BLS2C4G4D240FSB)
HDD 3.5" Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III (WD10EZEX)

SSD 2.5" Samsung 850 Evo 250GB TLC SATA (MZ-75E250B/EU)

Power Supply Corsair Builder CX500W (CP-9020047-EU)

Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition (CC-9011077-WW)

Since I am an absolute novice (and i do mean novice) in these adventures, i would like to ask you cats the following:

-To install TrueOS in the clean system, I will have to go to BIOS (of ASUS motherboard) change the boot order (into install USB), install TrueOS and then, once installed, go back to BIOS and change boot order to SSD (where OS will be installed) as first choice.

Am I correct??

Greets and thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

LeonZ

Hardware Recommendations for New TrueOS Users

You may not have muck in the bios too much; you’ll probably want to make sure it in UEFI mode and install everything that way.
Reason for maybe not having to muck in the BIOS: lots of times you can define a boot order, if there is nothing there, it goes to the next one on the list.
If you can afford to, I’d get another WD drive the same size, ZFS mirror them and use them for your home partition/user data, leave the SSD solely for OS (makes it easy to upgrade in the future).
Again, if you can afford to, more memory never hurts, especially since it looks like you’ll be using the graphics device int the chipset rather than an add on card (they typically steal memory for the graphics device).
Other than that, I don’t see a problem, just remember to use good heat sink compound, static protection, airflow (heat rises), neat cabling is a plus.

ok, thanks Mike. :slight_smile:

The SSD is for the OS only.

I’ll get + memory.

Would will it work better if I add an Nvidia graphics card like this one (below, cheapest I could find)? If not this one, can you recommend one that is suited to TrueOS???

Is there a video that explains how to ZFS mirror the WD drive??

(I am buying an SSD + 1 WD drive. that should be enough right???)

thanks again
please reply whenever you have the time.
leon

At the moment Nvidia is working a little better than Intel, so for a desktop that’s what I’d do. I picked up a generic GeForce GT 740 that works fine.

Google up "zfs mirror " should get you more than enough information, one thing to keep in mind is that even if they are from the same lot, not all 1TB disks are the same size.
Lots of good information at this link; your friend that knows BSD should be able to help you walk through and understand most of the info.
http://www.freebsddiary.org/zfs-with-gpart.php

As for “should be enough” depending on what you are doing the SSD by itself should be enough. The extra memory and a second disk are purely my opinions/preferences. Mirroring doesn’t get you any extra space (2 1TB drives give you a 1TB mirror) but it does give you a bit of data security.

Hello Mer

will this one work with TrueOS??

does TrueOS support DDR5???

https://www.pccomponentes.pt/gigabyte-geforce-gt-740-oc-2gb-gddr5

(I do realise this conversation is 7 months old. my apologies :slight_smile:

No problem, I don’t think the forum has any rules about resurrecting old threads.

That card should work (I’ve got a generic GeForce GT740 running in mine). It’ll probably use the latest driver , 375 or better likely listed at nividia-driver in appcafe. You’ll also want to grab nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig too.

thanks mer :slight_smile: i still havent built my trueOS/freebsd/ system (no monaie)

but soon ill have it and i will jump head first…no matter what comes my way in terms of config probs etc

ill learn and im looking fwd to it

i have looked at linux but linux malware etc is becoming a daily thing

maybe due to the fact that so many servers r linux (target in your back)…and also to the fact that apparently kernel vulnerabiilitiies in linux r also a daily thing …& please, linux users, do not tell me its to do with t fact that linux is more used…that argument is a bit flawed

im no expert but i can read lol

mer,

but the motherboard i listed earlier (1050) will also work, correct???

thanks man
greets
zyx leo

I think it should be fine (my current system is on a Gigabyte MB; I’ve have good luck with them, others like ASUS mbs.)

as long as it works, im fine with asus, gigabyte etc

be aware, “some” asus motherboards/laptops, either refuse to let TrueOS be installed, or make you work for it

i have a box computer with an asus motherboard. i had to boot into bios at install time and reboot time to force it to boot uefi

ok Rod, many thanks. ill bear that in mind.

i have a write-up, for my asus motherboard, under review. as soon as i get it back, i’ll post it

ok, thanks Rod. ill keep my eyes open. i come here every day :slight_smile: