On a laptop, is it possible to define power behavior when shutting the lid?

Looked through the entire control panel and couldn’t find any option for power management. The device has the ability to wake itself up when I open the lid, so I was hoping maybe there’s a way to suspend on lid-shutting too.

sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3

That might work… No promises though.

Where should I place this command in? Rc.conf?

I just boot up ghostbsd and saw that it has power management gui. It seems ghostbsd and trident each has features I want, and I have to choose between the features I need the most.

enter it in a command line as root… Just to see if it works. This will not survive a reboot if it doesn’t work… Reboot your computer, and no harm done. As if it never even happened.

If it does work we can add it to /etc/sysctl.conf to make it permanent. But I’m only guessing Trident might require that in a different place.

Yes it works.
sysctl.conf file doesn’t seem to exist though. I am also hoping to disable auto wakeup on lid open

taken from telegram

Ken Moore, [13.03.19 12:58]
yes, there is one that is empty by default

Ken Moore, [13.03.19 12:58]
we ship a systctl.d/trident.conf file which includes our default system options - and those are applied on top of the default system config from TrueOS

Ken Moore, [13.03.19 12:59]
the /etc/sysctl.conf file is used for user-overrides - so it is blank by default

In that case this command should make it permanent then.

echo 'hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

reboot

I think it should be
echo ‘hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3’ >> /etc/sysctl.conf

I put these settings to the /etc/sysctl.d directory:
#/etc/sysctl.d/my_suspend_resume.conf
#suspend/resume
hw.acpi.reset_video=1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3

Unfortunately the sleep_button does not work for me, lid_switch works, but not in the same way as ‘suspend’ from the menu does. I would really like to know ‘why’.

Is it possible to disable auto wakeup on lid open?

Will Lumina desktop get a desktop power manager in the foreseeable future?

That would be nice.