My goal was clear from my test system: I didn’t want to give up my TrueOS 18.03 legacy BE as Trident didn’t (and still doesn’t) work quite as well as “the old BE”. At least i286-wine is now available for Trident but there are still a few bugs I want to see get solved.
BUT: On my main system Trident wouldn’t let me “install into new BE” even though my test system is about 5 years older - and on that one every Trident iso (from the beta versions up to the most recent one, Release U2) let me install into a new BE. Unfortunately, because I tried to import a working BE from my test system into my main system I ruined my test system’s tank in the process with the result that the “transplanted” Trident BE didn’t boot on my main system (I didn’t know back then how to start looking for the reasons why) and I had to install my test system from scratch - which ultimately never quite worked because neither the newly installed Trident RC2 BE nor any of the Release / R-U1 / R-U2 BEs would boot properly. They would all reboot at the stage where normally x server would start and the login screen would appear.
And back then (a few days ago) I didn’t know how to start looking for a cure.
After a lot of testing I came to the conclusion that the reason that on my main system the Trident installer wouldn’t let me select “install into new BE” must have something to do with the MBR of that drive because no matter how many (or few) partitions I used it wouldn’ work - even if that drive was plugged into my test system!
So I made an image of my working BSD partition of my main system - just in case - and installed from scratch. First, I started with Trident Release but had to realize that then I couldn’t install TrueOS legacy 18.03, I guess because of the conflict FreeBSD 13 vs 12 - or rather because of a newer version of zfs that comes with v13 that the TrueOS legacy 18.03 installer doesn’t understand properly. So I installed Trident RC2 first, the TrueOS legacy 18.03 and finally upgraded to Trident Release U2 from within the Trident RC2 BE.
And with the problems I now had on my test system I made another image of my “new” BSD partition of my main system and transplanted that to my test system, made system-releated changes to loader.conf, rc.conf and xorg.conf. Now both my systems have a working 18.03 legacy and a working Trident Release U2 BE (I deleted the RC2 BE).
That wasn’t really fun. But at least I learned a few things. I would have been much easier if I would really understand how to manipulated (copy/clone/edit) pools and zfs systems - then I wouldn’t have to resort to imaging software and not very elegant heart surgery-like edits…
My questions about / problems with Trident will be posted in a separate post.