My review of TrueOS

How do you like Ghost?

I will admit I’ve not actually installed ghost. I simply went into their IRC and fired a load of questions at them and decided it wasn’t for me, which I still believe it is not.

Someone claiming to be a ghostbsd developer told me their installer had poor ZFS support so I just took their word.

I use TrueOS manly because it saves me having to build my own kernel with drm-next rolled in. Ghost don’t do that and they’re still based upon FreeBSD 10 (even in GhostBSD 11) so I’m not interested.

Ghost is ok. There’re things that I’d rather see get more refinement, but the majority of my issues with it are DE issues. I’m not a fan of Mate. And though I’d prefer a more BSD-centric DE, I’ve found that Lumina isn’t the desktop for me. Presently, there isn’t a DE that truly fits BSD, so Ghost is ok for me.

I use NVIDIA GPUs, so I’m not concerned with DRM. In fact, I’ve never been impressed with DRM -but that’s just me.

Funnily enough, DRM is my initials too. :smile:

I am actually amazed that an upstart like Lumina is giving me the UX I was yearning for and did not get from the likes of KDE, GNOME or XFCE. It’s all a question of personal preferences, use case and requirements of course. I am looking forward to the self-developped WM when that comes

Groot, from my experiences regarding helpojng multiboot for Trueos, I do not even try. I have TrueOS in dedicated harddisk, and Win10&Kubuntu on others. Grub does nice work for Linux&Windows dual boot, but adding TrueOS to that is such a big hassle that I do not want to even try. TrueOS has its own HDD and can be chosen from BIOS boot menu. Virtualising especially Windows is no can do for me. As I’m also pc-gamer and when I run Windows I need full native support of hardware and last bit of performance from it.

My somewhat short “review”.
What I like:
System mostly works, no problems in that regard.
More responsive than PC-BSD ever was.
OpenRC did wonders for boottime.
Lumina has getten better and better with each update. From the state: Barely usable, to usable enough with some rough edges. If current trend continues it has bright future. I have KDE installed for TrueOS but when using TrueOS I mainly use Lumina nowadays.

Cons: If you plan to multiboot you really have it easier when having dedicated HDD for OS.
No easy way to temporarily mount other filesystems in internal drives from gui. THAT one I do NOT like. I do not want to fiddle with fstab, but sometimes I’d want to transferr files to and from between NTFS partitions and TrueOS. Currently easiest way when I do not want to remember which partition was which is to send them to USB stick and use that as transferr device. PC-BSD was way better in that regard.

Strange. My NTFS partition appears as /autofs/ada0s3. Just opening it and voilà… easier than ever.

Nothing in /etc/fstab needed.

How to browse the Network

Sergio I did not check after last update. Once the same way to do it was there, after one update it was not, and yes now it is there again. Lets hope devs will not deem that as buggy behaviour and remove it in any future update :smiley:

I like this kind of way :slight_smile:

I was confirmed user of PC-bsd and swapped to TrueOS got a bit frustrated with it, so swapped to Linux that was a disaster.
Decided to swap back to BSD so I gave Freebsd a try and my experience left a bit to be desired.
Installed the base system and KDE and got it to boot straight to the desktop.
Sorted out which nvidia driver I needed installed the port and nvidia- configure.
Ran kldload nvidia modeset and nvidia -configure rebooted and x-org would not start “no screens found” referred to the handbook and followed the instructions run etc. same result.
After a lot of searching I found that the handbook was out of date was not used any more and I had to create a edit a file.
Installed some more ports some of these told me to add lines to parts of but no longer exists so ignore that?
Tried to install Flash not sure if I succeeded.
Make sure that sound is working yes fine.
Install Firefox no sound, try Seamonkey still no sound.
Search for answers appears to be a known problem told I need certain drivers installed tried to install already installed.
Is it worth all this effort to be able to use the computer no.
Abandon that and rethink what to do.
Retry TrueOS great improvement since last use.
What a lot of people seem to forget is TrueOS is a young and improving systems.
Comparing it to well established names is unfair, when Ubuntu started it was a major operation to get a printer working.

As a 15 year Linux-only user experimenting with TrueOS in a VBox, I did find this review and critique, as well as the response, was helpful. Thank you.