My personal rant

When the TrueOS - Project Trident split happened, two things happened:

1: The work on Lumina took a back seat

2: Unlike @ericbsd with GhostBSD, who has done this for a number of years, @beanpole135 & @q5sys suddenly went from programmers to being distro creators. In the past few months, they have had to figure out how to get a build system in place (from scratch), deal with flaky hardware, poorly documented steps, and undocumented steps. Creating what we have at the moment.

Has this been easy? As we’ve seen up to this point, no, not very easy. Things that “should” work, do not work as expected. Things we all took for granted under TrueOS, had to be reimplemented, often times needing to be written from scratch.

Trident is also paving the way to make it easier for others to follow suit. When Project Trident finally makes it out of Beta, it should be as simple to make another “BSD Distro” that was claimed in the beginning. Input a manifest of what’s different than TrueOS, wait a bit and a fresh ISO of MyOwnBSD pops out the other end.

This is being done in record time. We had the 1st public beta in about two months. That is zero to installable ISO in two months. Patience is key, Trident is being worked on as much and as fast as possible, by volunteers, for those of us that wish to use a TrueOS based desktop OS without relying on our Linux cousins.

Patience is key. Huge thanks to @beanpole135, @q5sys, and anyone else that has provided their time and support.

As rants go, I give this a 5 out of 10. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kidding aside, those of us who have been involved in the rollout of large software projects understand and “feel their pain”. It is never trivial to completely redo back ends of build systems, how to we build and package. The fact that they are making so much visible to the community is a blessing and a curse (blessing is we can see progress. Curse is we assume too much progress).

I’m going to second @RodMyers with the call for patience and sending out thanks (devs never mind getting free pizza or coffee).

Test driving the Beta’s is good; it gets exposure to a wider selection of hardware, but please don’t do it on a critical system. I’d even go so far as to use a separate device to test: power down the system, unplug all but the test disk, power up and install a Beta. That way you are not risking anything of value (your data) and you can test it on your intended hardware.
Yes, I realize this may not be practical for everyone, but all it takes is an extra disk, doesn’t even have to be that big.

That’s my 2 cents (Canadian).

I’m going to send my thanks to the developers in the form of $100.00USD but not until Friday because that’s when I get paid. :wink:

Patience is definitely key to getting everything going well. Personally, I’d much rather wait for something to be done and done right than rush and end up with a buggy system that loses data or is insecure. Like I’ve seen in operating systems that have been paid for (Windows 8 and 10 have been my worse experiences).

Is there a way for the developers to put out a list of anything they may need help with or want people to test specifically?

I’m sure there are many people, like myself, who would be willing to do what they can to help out. If there isn’t one already it may be something to consider. If it’s not something that would even be considered I’d understand that too.

the devs hangout on telegram.

You could ping @beanpole135 & @q5sys in the “Project Trident - Community Chat” and see if they need help.

Mainly done in QT

Well I decided to wait it out, I was tempted to wipe TrueOS disk and put either FreeBSD or migrate my Linux to it. But decided to give Project Trident a chance.

Shamless plug: http://project-trident.org/sponsors/
We are going to be setting up a Patreon at some point in the future. We’re trying to figure out rewards at the moment. We’re planning on having a bunch of tiers, starting at $2 a month, since that’d be under $25 a year. We already have a few who are backing us with small monthly paypal donations. But there are a few other things we want to get in place before we launch a Patreon and do a swag campaign (shirts, stickets) to raise money for the project.

You can reach us here:

Thanks @q5sys that helps a lot. Sometimes, I want to help, but think that my 5 bucks won’t help at all so I end up not doing it.

But this option gives me a sense that like a drop in a bucket. Every drop helps to fill the bucket so I’d be a lot more confident to donate to the project and not think to myself, “Well this isn’t enough to help.”

So the option to donate 2, 5, 10, or even 20 dollars a month seems attractive to me. It’s not a huge amount of money, but it feels like I am helping in some way.

P.S.
I’m really excited for the stickers but even more so. The T-shirts… I love T-shirts.

To be real honest, @beanpole135, @q5sys and @ericbsd are some of the nicest distro creators I have met. I tell people about TrueOS, Trident and GhostBSD and my leading line is “Come for BSD, stay for the community”. I switched to TrueOS cold turkey from Linux a year ago, and without the patient support that the people here have provided, it would have been difficult. I’d say Trident is worth the wait. This is not just about Lumina. This is about having a great community around a nice and useful distribution. So everyone please stick with it, and donate if possible. Every single $ matters.

Thank you for your appreciation @Irumbumoideen!

The community is a decisive factor for success from my point of view as well. But to be fair, this community depends on @RodMyers and I just couldn’t ‘like’ your post without at least mentioning the name of the linchpin of this forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

@q5sys the Donate “With a debit/credit card” button doesn’t seem to be working. I hit the donate button and it took me to the main screen, I tried it again, and it did the same thing, and again and it just kept taking me back to the main screen with the two donate buttons. I ended up using the Paypal option which worked perfectly, but it would be nice to have the other option working as well.

do you have popups blocked?

I just checked and it opens up a new window, on firefox

I do have popups blocked… I didn’t even think about that. :blush:

I wish you didn’t use telegram. It’s not that I don’t like telegram it’s just that telegram requires a cellphone number and not everyone has one of those that they can share with others. IMHO when you say just get on telegram well that’s making you exclusive and your fragmenting the community.

grab a google voice number to use telegram