More JDK sadness :(

Well eclipse neon from pkg is pretty much un-usable on my system.

russellh@prescott:~/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src% eclipse & 
#                                                                                                                                                                                              
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:                                                                                                                                                                           
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000000802ce9c19, pid=34132, tid=0x000000000001871e                                                                                                                                                                 
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_131-b11) (build 1.8.0_131-b11)                                                                                                                                                               
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.131-b11 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)                                                                                                                                                        
# Problematic frame:                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
# C  [libgcc_s.so.1+0xec19]  _Unwind_GetTextRelBase+0xc19                                                                                                                                                                                    
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
# Core dump written. Default location: /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/java.core                                                                                                                                                 
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
# An error report file with more information is saved as:                                                                                                                                                                                    
# /usr/home/russellh/FreeBSD/hummingboard/src/hs_err_pid34132.log                                                                                                                                                                            
[thread 100171 also had an error]                                                                                                                                                                                                            
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:                                                                                                                                                                                    
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp                                                                                                                                                                                            
#                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

[1]    Done                          eclipse   

The application opens and loads everything it seems. The crashes happen pretty much from startup. I tried installing the C++ Developer Tools and it crashed. I found that if I do everything one step at a time, it works for a bit… then it crashes. I gave up when after opening two source files crashed it.

Thoughts?
dinsdale
p.s. The update is still removing the JDK from my system. I wonder if one of the repos is marking it as broken?

I’m not using Eclipse often, but it seems it works here.
Though I have compiled openjdk8 from ports, myself.
Maybe you could give it a try. It could fix some openjdk8 build issue for your install.

On my new TrueOS install, I’m getting the same exact error with several applications running on OpenJDK. Eclipse, Netbeans, and Maven. Same SIGSEGV error. I am running two other applications on Oracle Java, and they’re going fine.

Looks like they updated the OpenJDK 8 port 10 hours ago. How new is your new install (i.e. Do you think it’s the latest version)?

Might be worth seeing if they open with OpenJDK 7 or switch them to use Oracle java? I’ve moved on to other IDEs so I don’t know when I’ll get back to this myself.

As I’ve already suggested, rebuilding openjdk8 from ports could possibly fix it for you.

I tried with the latest pkg, no dice (error below) with a relatively simple build with maven. I will try rebuilding java from ports.

#
[thread 102488 also had an error]# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#

#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000000802ce9c19, pid=6113, tid=0x0000000000019059
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_131-b11) (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.131-b11 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libgcc_s.so.1+0xec19][thread 102490 also had an error]
[thread 102491 also had an error]
[thread 102487 also had an error]
  _Unwind_GetTextRelBase+0xc19
#
# Core dump written. Default location: /usr/home/peter/NetBeansProjects/twsapi-maven/java.core
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /usr/home/peter/NetBeansProjects/twsapi-maven/hs_err_pid6113.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
Abort trap

Maven works now (after compiling openjdk8 from the ports). Eclipse and Netbeans are still blowin’ chunks. But that’s progress!

While we’re all here :slight_smile: Does 64-bit Oracle Java work on FreeBSD?

If you mean the 64-bit Linux Oracle Java, it does in general. At least it did the last time I tried to use it. You must have 64-bit Linux support enabled (which I think TrueOS does). It all depends on the Java programs as well. I personally prefer using the OpenJDK if I must use Java.

Eclipse and NetBeans work fine here. Perhaps there’s something with your video settings.

EDIT: I tried using NetBeans with modesetting video driver, and it was somewhat buggy. Reverting to the Intel video driver solved it.

Good to know-- what are your java, Netbeans, Eclipse, and OS versions?

openjdk8-8.131.11
eclipse-4.6
NetBeans IDE 8.2
TrueOS-Desktop-201706210948 STABLE
intel_drv.so

Hi,

The problem is not related to openjdk8 package, or not exactly.
As you can see in the logs previous posted here, at runtime java try to make use of libgcc library.
TrueOS use by default gcc library shipped with gcc5
(see: /usr/local/lib/gcc5/libgcc_s.so.1)
In the system there is also gcc4.6 library in /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
One or only thing that is used in old libgcc is the low level Unwind
functionality.
In any error logs you will see also that the libgcc error is related to _Unwind.
By using the old library openjdk8 work without any problems (for me at least).

For reference:

about

===================
General information

boot environment now (N) … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20171105_202358 NR 2017-11-05
after restart ® … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20171105_202358 NR 2017-11-05
boot loader …………………………………… BSD
type ……………………… BIOS
CPU ………………………………………………………… Intel® Core™ i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
number of cores ……………… 4
host ……………………………………………………… oxid.xxxxxxx.ro
memory ………………………………………………… 16384 MB available, 9236 MB free
OS git branch ……………………………………………………………………………………… trueos-stable
OS git revision ………………………………………………………………………………… ac2f0aa3b
OS kernel build time ………………………………………………………… Wed 2017 Jun 21 01:09:23 UTC
OS kernel identity …………………………………………… (uname -i) GENERIC
OS platform (architecture) ……………………… (uname -m) amd64
OS release level ………………………………………………… (uname -r) 12.0-CURRENT
OS version and patch level …… (freebsd-version) 12.0-CURRENT
TrueOS package set ………………… STABLE
TrueOS version …………………………… TrueOS-Desktop-201706210948
uptime ………………………………………………… 16:57
user …………………………………………………… root

More (TrueOS Desktop):

desktop environment …… KDE
sound card driver ………… pcm0: <Realtek ALC269 (Analog 2.0+HP/3.1)> (play/rec) default
wireless driver ……………… iwn0
X11 drivers ………………………… intel_drv.so

Yours, VV

That issue seems to be remedied in UNSTABLE, so it should not be an issue with the next STABLE release

Unfortunately I can not use UNSTABLE.
For some reason almost any application will crush on me
in short time after start (some 10th seconds or so).

STABLE will be updated in early December

look for gcc-ecj(?) and see if you can remove it. That “should” stop the crashing