Looking for other FreeBSD subprojects just like TrueOS

I have just now fresh installed TrueOS and listened to few FreeBSD subprojects like GhostBSD, MidnightBSD, DesktopBSD that both are desktop-focused like TrueOS, but ones more thanks? Ones are best if recommended (or default) desktop is Qt-written and lightweight like TrueOS and whose Lumina.:smiley:

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but here is the summary of all the BSD projects I am aware of right now:

Primary OS’s (all based on the original BSD, but quite different OS’s):

Lesser Known BSD OS’s:

Desktop-focused re-distributions of FreeBSD:

• GhostBSD (MATE Desktop, FreeBSD 11.1)
  • DesktopBSD (dead project… again)
  • PC-BSD (dead project: Ancestor of TrueOS : KDE Desktop on FreeBSD 7.x->10.3)

Difference from TrueOS:
TrueOS is a quite a bit different than the items I listed for a couple key reasons:

1. While different from FreeBSD, it is not technically a “fork” like MidnightBSD since it still regularly syncs with the upstream FreeBSD code base. TrueOS just introduces a few key differences (like OpenRC) such that they could get merged back into the upstream FreeBSD repos at a later date. In this way, you could think of TrueOS as a “future look” at what FreeBSD could eventually become.
  2. It is also quite different from the desktop-redistributions of FreeBSD such as GhostBSD in that TrueOS makes very significant changes to the base OS infrastructure (release engineering, source control, packages, configuration changes, etc)
  3. TrueOS also focuses a lot on developing new tools specifically for FreeBSD/TrueOS. Things like Lumina (and associated utilities), pc-updatemanager, pc-sysinstall, and more. GhostBSD has been starting to do some of this as well from a GTK toolkit perspective (rather than Qt). Almost all the other “desktop” versions of BSD OS’s are simply downstream consumers of technology developed on Linux, rather than focused on developing their own BSD-first toolchains.

Because of this, TrueOS is really the only contender in the field of desktop OS’s that is trying to ensure that the OS basis for the desktop system is actually a unified framework and not just a slapped-together collection of disparate Linux tools on an incompatible (BSD) operating system.

Alternative User Forum

…hence the name “(The only) True OS”. :slight_smile:

“Lightweight” is a tricky concept in this situation. Each of the projects listed has advantages and disadvantages, and each one takes a significantly different approach, based on different goals.

Probably the best way to choose is to find a system in which their goals are similar to yours, or in which the work they’re doing is focused on the kind of machine you’ll be using.

For example, OpenBSD is mainly focused on security for server operation. Certainly youcould use it on a personal desktop or laptop machine, but it would probably be easier to run a more desktop-oriented system in the first place. Unless you happen to love OpenBSD because you have used it a lot already and would prefer to stick with what you already know.

All of them are good for something. It depends on what you want.

The most lightweight is OpenBSD. It has the X Window System builtin within the Base System.

If You run it in its stable release branch, You have to use the ports tree to compile the newest Firefox, for example.

Otherwise: I’m running it on my laptop, with no other OS beside it. When the other OSs make me a little bit angry, I’m going back to OpenBSD, because it’s clear, simple and everything I need is builtin and works reliably out of the box.

But You can’t give it into the hands of inexperienced users. That’s for sure.

Good argument! :grinning:

PS/ I really mean it, not as irony.

Btw, anybody ever tried ReactOS? It’s some kind of rendering of Windows, but it seems to be a NR project (Never Ready :wink: )

Ok. But it was meant as a little joke on @beanpole135’s post - and the fact that I always like that “yes, offence” name re MacOS.

I just really like the PC-BSD/TrueOS project, developers and community - even though I’m still a windows guy. I just hope I never have to use W10. In the meantime I test TrueOS on my system in dual boot until I’m finally comfortable enough to let go of W7.

I “tried” ReactOS - in the sense of installing it in a VM. But “never ready” seems to be the correct term. That’s why I lost hope in that project. So I can only be positively be surprised in case they’ll really come out with a v1.0 one day.

For this I would be rather running NetBSD and OpenBSD or alike stuff in a virtualization.:roll_eyes:
I actually need more cutting edged more modern systems which I just dnt mention NetBSD or OpenBSD this thread.
However, DragonFlyBSD and MidnightBSD are now not FreeBSD forks, they’re instead independent BSD projects right?

Yes only FreeBSD and whose subprojects and Linux distro are hopeful where I just dnt expect any non-UNIX-like projects like you.:sun_with_face:

Yes and there just aren’t non-UNIX-like projects are ready, our computing future is all in FreeBSD and Linux.:wink:

In my opinion, if you’ve decided on cutting edge and FreeBSD already, you have two main options: use TrueOS, or download plain FreeBSD and organize everything by yourself.

I am honestly happy using TrueOS and downloading FreeBSD-CURRENT to compare what are like and different between TrueOS UNSTABLE and FreeBSD-CURRENT.:sun_with_face:
Any other FreeBSD forks focusing on lightweight desktops? One is GhostBSD Xfce edition, but what is the last one? I think this needs to be MidnightBSD whose desktop is GNUstep, as lightweight as Lumina (Qt) and Xfce4 (Gtk3).:wink: