Live USB image?

Hi, don’t know if I’ve missed it but just in case: if we’re talking about a usb 2 stick connected in an usb 2 plug, then forget it and try instead TrueOs on Virtualbox or VMware.
Else, if you don’t like eccessive installation time, that would not matter once your sistem is ready to be operated on the usb stick, see what happen and evaluate if it can go or not, should it go wrong you’ve just an usb stick to format again

Installing on Thumb Drive

I got myself USB3 stick, a stopwatch and determination to see how long will it take to install system. It has been well over 2hours and system is still copying files. Will report on further progress…

that is NOT normal for any install that I have done.

10 -20 minutes is about what mine does

can you post your commands here?

Not sure what you mean by posting commands, I dd-ed usb image to usb 2.0 key and choose destination to usb 3.0 of size 32gigs during install.

My bad, I thought you were trying to get the IMG onto the USB drive.

What computer is this going to?

All of my installs never take more than 1 hour.

I’m downloading the latest IMG, and once it gets done, I will install on the test laptop, Lenovo Carbon X1 Rev 2

I have Gigabyte GA-Z97XUD5H motherboard with i7 something and 16gigs of ram.

I will “assume” a custom computer?

Even still , that makes no sense as to why it’s taking that long

Have you looked through the BIOS/UEFI settings?

That might be a place to start as well

It is made out of pieces I bought and assembled myself over time… Bios is not something I’m afraid of, but in these modern settings I do not know what to look for? I have not changed defaults that worked on my other systems (had win7, FreeBSD 10.1 and TrueOS previously installed with no obvious problems)

the “only” thing in the pic I. Why disable swap space?

and I have no reason to think it’s an issue

Mybe the full moon is to blame? Haha

Seriously, it has past over 3 hours and still going with copying… Will leave comp up and see results in the morning.

If the PC is still installing, please open a terminal window and run the command:

gstat -p

and report the write speed.

The installer did finish when I woke up, don’t know how long it took, but it must have been well over 4 hours. The boot time after that is not so bad, it takes long time, but in certain situations I would be ok to wait extra time.
Opening programs takes about 18 seconds (firefox, insigt), switching between tabs takes 5-6 seconds.
@maurizio Here is output on running system:

dT: 1.063s  w: 1.000s
 L(q)  ops/s    r/s   kBps   ms/r    w/s   kBps   ms/w   %busy Name
    0      0      0      0    0.0      0      0    0.0    0.0  cd0
    2      5      2     34  866.7      2      2   1729  160.6  da0

With something writing intentionally:

dT: 1.004s  w: 1.000s
 L(q)  ops/s    r/s   kBps   ms/r    w/s   kBps   ms/w   %busy Name
    0      0      0      0    0.0      0      0    0.0    0.0  cd0
    1    191      0      0    0.0    191  24467    6.3  120.3  da0

Dmesg related to usb:

uhub6 on uhub2
uhub6: <vendor 0x045b product 0x0210, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 4> on usbus0
uhub6: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
ugen0.6: <Kingston DT microDuo 3.0> at usbus0
umass0 on uhub6
umass0: <Kingston DT microDuo 3.0, class 0/0, rev 3.10/1.10, addr 5> on usbus0
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x8100
umass0:4:0: Attached to scbus4
ses0 at ahciem0 bus 0 scbus3 target 0 lun 0
ses0: <AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 1.00 0001> SEMB S-E-S 2.00 device
ses0: SEMB SES Device
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Kingston DT microDuo 3.0 PMAP> Removable Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device
da0: Serial Number AC220B280B7BB1B0491819DE
da0: 400.000MB/s transfers
da0: 29568MB (60555264 512 byte sectors)
da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>
Trying to mount root from zfs:key32gb/ROOT/initial []...

The write speed is very low. Can you run the the command:

dmesg

and see if you have some error related to the da0 device ?

No error in the dmesg output and the write speed is very good for a USB dongle. :slight_smile:

You can double the read speed putting a new 32GB+ USB dongle in mirror with the old one.
You can increase the write performance following the tips in this my post Tips for running TrueOS on a USB flash memory drive

I just want to point out that a USB 2 stick has a very low read/write speed compared to USB 3. Since you are using both a USB 2 and a USB 3 stick in the procedure, your transfer rate will be limited to the maximum rate supported by the USB 2 stick/port.

Remember that USB 3 sticks also need to be plugged into USB 3 ports (typically have a blue-colored piece on the inside of the port), otherwise it will also be accessed at USB 2 speeds.

Yeh, Today I installed trueos on an ext.hdd. And after booting I got the message on my screen that resolution by my monitor is not supported and I should setting 1920x1200@60GZ. But I cant do it. 'couse i have just a black screen, trueos does not have live mode, and I cant get an access to the config files via Win10, 'couse openzfs does not have programs (like for ext4) or drivers for Win.
That strange.

One of the options is to boot into a single user mode. Also, there should a safe mode which might work for you.
Edit:
and, as always, Ctrl+Atl+F1 through F8 will take you into the text-mode session.

@susnake it woudl be helpful if you told us a little bit more about the system. What kind of video card, what model video card? This is important for all but especially Nvidia. How are you booting, UEFI or BIOS/legacy?

@mer
BIOS, Strix-GTX1080. Connect via DisplayPort.
If you don’t mind I’ll check logs as suggested @vit and around the forum and if I don’t find anything useful, I’ll create a topic. I don’t want to flood there. :slight_smile: