Just installed the Stable release, it's time to update

Good evening all again.

Now that the separation between stable and unstable release is crystal clear on the download page, I should have resolved the too-often-system-update proposals almost weekly coming.
Maybe it was due to the fact that I wasn’t aware being installing the unstable releases, the update attempts were just nighmares because of the entire release installation needed, it failed fetching packages at a point, and never succeded to complete one update, I was then forced to re-begin with the new iso installation.
Now it will be different, you promise?
Asking that, because I’m a little bit scared by a system update advise wich is asking for an update.
Here below is what it tells, please let me know if it will be just that mentioned little package or otherwise it will start with another complete system update which will never go to the end. Maybe you can tell how to proceed by terminal to select just that one
Thank you all.

Boot-strapping updater…OK
Updating trueos-base repository catalogue…
trueos-base repository is up to date.
Updating trueos-major repository catalogue…
pkg-static: Repository trueos-major load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-trueos-major.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
Fetching meta.txz: . done
Fetching packagesite.txz: … done
Processing entries: … done
trueos-major repository update completed. 26435 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Updating trueos-base repository catalogue…
trueos-base repository is up to date.
Updating trueos-major repository catalogue…
trueos-major repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (637 candidates): … done
Processing candidates (637 candidates): . done
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
trueos-utils-qt5: 201706221911 -> 201707041114 [trueos-major]

Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

3 MiB to be downloaded.
The following updates are available:

NAME: System package updates

To install: “pc-updatemanager pkgupdate”

I experienced that kind of problem in the past, too, several times. That “connection reset by peer” problem is very annoying. Especially if the update process instead of sticking to the initially announced “to be downloaded packages” during the process “changes it’s mind” and downloads the complete arsenal again, i.e. about the size of the iso that one already downloaded for the initial install plus the packages one installed additionally. That’s very annoying if one one has a slow internet connection.

One time, I sat there maybe 6 hours restarting the update process (20? 30? times) because it kept failing and also insisted to download the whole OS’s packages again - even though the installed ones where 90-99% up-to-date.

That’s when I started (or rather went back) to using the pkg-static update command. As my TrueOS system is just for testing and not my main working OS, and also I have a backup image I can just recover is something goes back, I don’t really care about the “warnings” about using the “-static” command.
It updates “in place” without creating a new BE. I had to use that way back when my TrueOS partition wasn’t large enough to hold 2 BEs and the complete selection of packages that the update process kept insisting to download. It never failed. And, also, in the past with pcbsd that “updating into new BE” feature wasn’t available from the start of integrating zfs (at least as far as I can remember), so it shouldn’t be that problematic.

Also, one could create a new BE manually before updating to be sure. But I never did so far - and my system, that I constantly updated/upgraded starting with pcbsd 10.0.x (I think the update from 9.x to 10.x failed on my system or wasn’t a suggested option) is still alive and working.

from what I gathered earlier, they released a few updates to some programs. In that case, the CDN network is in the process of updating itself.

It “should” sort itself out by tomorrow morning.

If not, post here and they can look at it

thank you Rod, would you please suggest meantime a way I can update just that package
trueos-utils-qt5: 201706221911 -> 201707041114 [trueos-major] ?
If I succeed to do that, I feel it will work in all other cases in the future.

personally, when I’m impatient.

I just keep re-running “sudo pc-updatemanager pkgupdate”, until it downloads all necessary packages :wink:

Whenever one of the packages which is distributed on the install media changes, we always update the install media on our download site. This means that as long as you use the latest ISO/IMG image for doing the intallation, you should never get that prompt to do updates after the installation.

very well: cheated again!!!

Number of packages to be fetched: 399

The process will require 694 MiB more space.
694 MiB to be downloaded (but this is to begin, it will go on over 2 Gb).

needless to say, package fetching failed at llvm40-4.0.1.r1_4.txz, update stopped and more than 1 giga of useless package still there…

any USEFUL suggestion?

keep running and re-running the “sudo pc-updatemanager pkgupdate” command?

not sure

maybe that undertanding your indication means beginning from another question to be answered;
is my update manager working as it is supposed to work, or not?

Well, as I complained a lot / several times (here being one of the post, I add it here) about TrueOS downloading all packages all over again during update even if they are already current AND I just updated my two systems I can state the following:

As I suspected (but never tested / confirmed until now) TrueOS only downloads all packages all over again if the pkg-cache is empty or corrupted.

For the first time since a very long time I used SysAdm (instead of terminal) for the updates and also did not perform an in-place-update ("-static").

As it turned out, one system had all the files still in pkg-cache from last update, the other one did not.

So, the second system “had” to download about 2,4GB of packages of which only two were “needed” for the actual update. So it took hours to download while the actual update process only took seconds (and 1 or 2 minutes for creating a new BE etc.).
On the first system the downloading process was short because it only had to download those two packages. The update process was the same as on the second system.

So, not deleting the pkg-cache can save a lot (!) of time. :slight_smile: I had to do it before because there was not enough disk space which isn’t an issue anymore.

That means, no more -static updates and unnecessary downloads for me anymore (for now) - hopefully.

Now, I love TrueOS a little bit more again… :slight_smile:

P.S. …but I still haven’t figured out what those “x number of packages to be downloaded” messages mean, because only in case of FreeBSD base and maybe the TrueOS core that number seems to be correct. Sometimes it says maybe 150, and only 10 are downloaded, sometimes it says 1, and 10 are being downloaded, depending on the package (application).
And you never know at the beginning of the download / update process (if all packages have to be (re-)downloaded again) how many packages are to be downloaded alltogether because they are all separated “by subject” (e.g. TrueOS core, FreeBSD basis, any installed application (e.g. DE, browsers, java, whatever) - so (unless you did it a bunch of times and know all the packages you have installed) you get surprised that yet another package has to be downloaded, just when you thought now it should finally be done downloading and get to updating / installing - my most “favourite” one so far is “noto” (>= 800 MB)… :slight_smile:

I removed “noto” altogether.

noto good idea mr moto :wink:

I thank you for the extended explaination, but still too tricky for me. I dream the day when it will update only what has to be updated, as it should work like in a reliable userfriendly operating system.

Have you tried Windows7 32 bit?.. It looks like Microsoft is trying to copy all the Unix stuff… CMD doesn’t work anymore unless you run it as administrator while your an administrator, kindof like su or sudo. Tons of things come block by default now, to the point where we couldn’t get it to work without 3 engineers from 3 different companies. I think they can keep all their user friendliness. And their updates also suck!

Agree it wasn’t good, but it did not force the user tu upgrade to the next OS version if a single application needed an update. However I’m talking about a system of our age

Well, normally it is easy and will only download what has to be updated.

As far as I understand it (though I might be wrong), if you install TrueOS from iso/img the pkg-cache folder is empty. So, during your first update you have to suffer through the update process downloading all the packages all over again. But after that (i.e. with subsequent updates) you should be fine.

And if, for any reason, you don’t want to wait that long but still want to update you just use

pkg-static update

The update process then only downloads the packages that are needed - but also updates the current BE instead of creating a new one, updating that one and leaving the current one as it is, in case something goes wrong and you need to go back.

Yes, and this is just what I asked to be instructed for, how to update the single package shown in the system update window, but no answer to this, unfortunately. Consider that I’m not that smart for understanding the specific command line myself.
Thank you

??? Just did a new install with the STABLE .img downloaded yesterday - the first thing it does is updating !
BTW: I don’t think that it’s a good idea to change the content without changing the name/date of the file - maybe I got something wrong.

Stable has been “somethings” backported from unstable. that’s what you are seeing.

The file name/date should have changed on the updates

hi, glad to see this post has been followed somehow. Take the chanche to renew my request:

the update manager shows the message

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
trueos-utils-qt5: 201706221911 -> 201707041114 [trueos-major]

how can I perform only this package update without falling into the entire system upgrade, operation stopped/aborted in 100% of my many previous attempts?

Please in case give simple step-by-step instructions.
Thank you all