Information about TrueOS

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a website that’s a mix between distrowatch and linuxtracker.

I’ve been trying to find as much information about TrueOS, to fill out its page on my website, linuxpeer.org.

• Which desktop environments are available? Do I have the correct ones listed on the page?
  • Some nice screenshots of the desktop(s)? Maybe some users here would like to share some for the page.
  • List of releases?
  • Anything else I might have forgotten?

It is also possible for an endorsed user from TrueOS to help keep the page up-to-date, if that’s of any interest.

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

My opinions only.

Minor quibble about your search box: make it case insensitive. Case sensitivity on a search is like running systemd.

Any desktop environment or window manager that has a FreeBSD port that builds is supported. That said, Lumina is the “default fully supported” one, others may or may not work out of the box. This is by design.

You should mention that a default install does “root on ZFS”.

Plenty of screenshots over at lumina.org; I personally dislike a lot of desktops that others like so see no benefit in having screenshots of them.

Releases:
Only 2 release tracks STABLE and UNSTABLE. STABLE is on a 6 month schedule (or if massive security update is needed it may be less), UNSTABLE is roughly every couple of weeks or as developers have time. There may be “not latest” on the download page but users are always encouraged to install the latest.

Many thanks @mer!

Just one thing: the correct Lumina homepage is https://lumina-desktop.org/

Thanks. Don’t know where I got that from.

Thanks for your reply! Very much appreciated :slight_smile:

I know the search box is pretty bad at the moment. I am working to improve it.

I’ll get some of those screenshots for the page, thank you.

No problem. You asked for feedback; that’s one thing I’m good at.