I’m excited about the upcoming and exciting changes

If the exciting changes will allow me to import my iocage jails (without issues) into updated TrueOS, I’m all for the new&exciting changes \o/

I’m just dreaming here, but it would be super cool if one of the announcements was about an updated version of Pico… :heart_eyes:

I really don’t understand some of the negative comments about TrueOS/FreeBSD and Lumina. So, I wonder what a typical end user(s) of *BSD-like system expects from a 2 years old bleeding edge developmental project? It may not be a “Production Ready” for some (whatever that means), but in my case TrueOS is holding up well along with jails that run various TCP/IP servers and frameworks. Although not polished or complete, Lumina does a good enough job supporting my GUI system management needs.

I deal with some rly old, but updated, *NIX servers, utilities and scripting frameworks that have been around for years, and although they run more/less OK, all of them have issues, bugs and security holes, just like rest of the AI-Artificially Intelligent chips and software that power Internet and so called apps.

The question is rhetorical but is triggering a thought.
A typical end user (whatever that is) expects to accomplish all the tasks and hopes for a smooth ride on the way. With a known operating system / desktop environment the potholes on the road are very familiar and workarounds are well established. Trying new software is like chosing a new road with the expectation of the absence of any potholes. This never survives the reality check and starts a process of growing frustration since now the obstacles and necessary remedies are unknown.
Now one important factor is, how difficult / easy is the finding of solutions for upcoming issues. I think this forum to be of great importance for success. Half a year now I am following the different discussions here and got the impression of a very friendly and easy going platform.

Developing TrueOS and Lumina is hard work and everybody is waiting for a ‘better’ version but there will be always questions and my hope is that the attitude of this forum will not change and survive the shortcomings of the software and the manifold characters of users as well.

A big part of the experience is choice. Does the user choose to focus on “What TrueOS/Lumina is NOT?” or choose to focus on “What TrueOS/Lumina are?” That mindset dovetails very nicely with what @RJules3 is saying. The level of frustration is usually coupled to the level of “focus on what it is not”. You drive to work the same way for 3 years, one morning you hit a Detour sign. Grumble, grumble complain. But the detour takes you down a very nice scenic country lane: focus on what it is, not “is not”.

How many threads are here about “get rid of Lumina, go back to KDE or use Gnome” or “dump csh use bash” or “Why doesn’t this work like Linux/Windows/MacOS”? Way more than there needs to be.

@RJules3 your last paragraph is key. This forum is one of the best ones I’ve been involved in; genuine helping of others, sometimes blunt when need be, other times gently guiding. But most of all, welcoming.

What “FREE” TrueOS/FreeBSD and all other FREE derivatives of UNIX-like operating systems for computing devices, along with related utilities, were NOT meant to be:

1. Plug’n Play Operating Systems
  2. Software for Fun&Games
  3. Software with on demand Technical Support
  4. Trouble Free software environment

What “FREE” TrueOS/FreeBSD and all other FREE derivatives of UNIX-like operating systems for computing devices, along with related utilities, ARE meant to be:

1. Educational, Intellectual, Scientific and Professional software tools for people interested in Computer Science and Information Technologies who are willing to learn, participate in development or use and enjoy Free Software as is!

So, that’s is what I’m doing with TrueOS. I’m using it and enjoying the process of its development.

===================
General information

boot environment now (N) … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20180330_054039 NR 2018-03-30
after restart ® … 12.0-CURRENT-up-20180330_054039 NR 2018-03-30
boot loader …………………………………… BSD
type ……………………… BIOS
CPU ………………………………………………………… Intel® Xeon® CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
number of cores ……………… 24
host ……………………………………………………… tosnos.local
memory ………………………………………………… 36864 MB available, 27490 MB free
OS git branch ……………………………………………………………………………………… trueos-stable-18.03
OS git revision ………………………………………………………………………………… fa797a5a3
OS kernel build time ………………………………………………………… Mon 2018 Mar 26 00:24:47 UTC
OS kernel identity …………………………………………… (uname -i) GENERIC
OS platform (architecture) ……………………… (uname -m) amd64
OS release level ………………………………………………… (uname -r) 12.0-CURRENT
OS version and patch level …… (freebsd-version) 12.0-CURRENT
TrueOS package set ………………… STABLE
TrueOS version …………………………… TrueOS-Desktop-201803131015
uptime ………………………………………………… 32 days, 12:16
user …………………………………………………… jhost

More (TrueOS Desktop):

desktop environment …… Lumina
sound card driver ………… pcm2: <USB audio> (play) default
wireless driver ……………… 
X11 drivers ………………………… nvidia_drv.so

I know people always want safe (A.K.A. Trouble Free) software with on demand technical support. They don’t want to do any of that other stuff. Which is why Oracle tagged their software 2.0 and skipped everything else. It was a good marketing strategy that worked for them, nobody would of bought something called OracleDB 1.0 but sell it as an established 2.0 and people trust you. I think they just released their cloud service and they are marketing it as “Web2.0” My question is why does all this safety go out the window with Docker?.. The people that are most careful about software is banks, and they were running Docker when it was brand new (read insecure, untested, and buggy)… Docker made this craze about it, that the most “Safety aware” people trough their common sense out the window, downloaded and started using Docker, in production! What was it about that software that made people so crazy?.. I even see people signing up for course about to learn Docker, because apparently people that know docker are in high demand…

closed #8