I love Dell boxes :)

Here is why:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @ 2.67GHz (2660.06-MHz K8-class CPU)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 24 CPUs

24 CPUs - really? I assume that TrueOS knows what to do with those cores and hyperthreads - lol

Not bad for a, new to me, used Dell Precision-T5500 fer $250

Well, my truck with Cummins 5.9L diesel has 24 valves, but it’s turbocharged to go faster.
So, I’ll try to turbocharge those Xeons to see if they can run faster :))

Great deal ! I’m always on the lookout for deals like that.

Did you get it from an online retailer ?

My Lenovo H-340 is showing signs of age (Intel I-5) but has served me well.

J.

My resource for buying used/good computers is craigslist. As for this Dell, I purchased several boxes from this seller this year, so I get better deal. Plus, I didn’t care for the Quadro GPU. Got enough GTX-960 GPUs to populate few more boxes. Those are the only decent GPUs that can be dropped inside those and T3500 Dells :wink:

Graphic card information:                                                                                                                
vendor='NVIDIA Corporation'
device='GM206 [GeForce GTX 960]
nvidia-settings:  version 378.13  (root@builds.trueos.org)  Sun May 28 15:57:15 UTC 2017
The NVIDIA X Server Settings tool.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/sys/d/dell-t5500-workstation-dual/6363002406.html
He re-sells State Gov. Agency surplus computers.

Those precision workstations are a beast (so heavy!). I have an old one sitting at my desk I’m using as a simulator. Sadly, not spec’ed like yours.

@dinsdale

Yes, Dell Precision T series are heavy duty boxes with T7500 being the biggest. But, T3500 and T5500 are smaller. I have an older custom built SLI system for fun&games in Thermaltake case that is as big and heavy as the T7500 :slight_smile: Those Dells are well built and make excellent SOHO TCP/IP servers and CAD/CAM workstations - have CATIA running on of those T5500’s with SATA/3 card and SSD upgrades.

My old Dell E4310 laptop lost its one and only USB port a few weeks ago. I was able to get the data off using rsync over the network, plus using an SDHC card for the occasional new file. At the recommendation of a friend, I went to the monthly surplus sale conducted by our local state university. I found a Dell E6410 with no HD for $35. The keyboard was sticky, but I scored a replacement on eBay for $20, and that was only a 3-minute repair. I then bought a 240 GB SSD at our friendly local geek emporium, and swapped the 8 GB of ram in the old machine into the new one. The internet specs I found claimed an i5 with two cores for this machine, but the OS shows four. It’s got three USB ports instead of one, a bigger display for my aged eyes, and a less jittery trackpad. With the SSD, it’s wicked fast, and I’ve got all of $135 into it. The battery isn’t new, but works well enough for the moment. If you have such an event in your own home town, check it out. There can be some interesting stuff there; I saw nanovoltmeters, old HP analog AC voltmeters, chemical analysis equipment, a complete microtome setup, and a dentist’s chair, among other things. Oh, and desktop machines and printers. Woo-hoo!