I have a few questions to do with BSD

Pretty much every BSD and Linux offers OpenSSH and OpenSSL. OpenBSD security runs much much deeper than that. The team does complete security audits of the base system and much of what’s in a default install. That is non trivial. Yes, pf has been pulled into all the other BSDs: that is the biggest assest (to me) of the BSDs. Not afraid to share quality code. OpenBSD will always be ahead on PF because it’s theirs. Others have diverged because of system design (the way the kernel networking stack is implemented, locking for SMP to name a couple) so the rule syntax may be a version or two behind OpenBSD.

If it’s a 32 bit machine you want to use, you cannot use TrueOS or DragonflyBSD. You could use plain FreeBSD, but to me, unless you are trying to compare how the same OS runs on different hardware, I just don’t see the point. Too many people come in saying “I heard this runs on crappy old hardware, well, it does but it sucks”. That’s not the fault of the OS, that’s a user fault in their own expectations.
OpenBSD can take that crappy old hardware and turn it into a decent home network firewall for typical broadband connection speeds (100Mbps or less). Better hardware and the right hardware you can easily approach or equal commercial offerings for routers and firewalls.

Oh I see I didn’t know that. But DragonFly has replaced OpenSSL with LibreSSL, which is from OpenBSD.

Yes I am well aware of that as TrueOS and DragonFly do not offer 32bit verisons and how come they don’t even offer it?

Do they come to this community and say stuff like that?

Oh I see mate.

Lots of things are replacing OpenSSL with LibreSSL (TrueOS, HardenedBSD). Libre is Open without all the years of cruft and bitrot.
32bit: not too many 32bit processors being sold anymore. Look at your smartphone. Specialized market, ZFS was designed for 64bit systems so TrueOS and Dragonfly don’t need to try and keep a dwindling 32 bit build working. Mostly a question of resources (not enough people).

Yes, they come here and say that. I wasn’t implying you did, but it happens. And it usually starts out with “I thought this was supposed to be so great, well it sucks on my machine”. You start asking for more details, they don’t answer, eventually you get enough to realize “you’re trying to run a Ford Pinto in an F1 race and telling Ford their car sucks?”

I see mate.

Oh lol

Sounds like we started in this about the same time, @mer. The first Linux distro I installed was Slackware 2.2.0.1, with kernel 1.2.3. I think the main difference between us is that even then, I had an old man spirit. Unless something rose to a certain level of annoyance, I tended to stick with it. Which is annoying in this case, since FreeBSD would have been a great adventure. :smile: I did do some work for a small ISP in St. Louis that was using BSDI, but that was commercial, so I wouldn’t be buying that anytime soon.

Agreed. Remember setting up X and you had to be careful about the horizontal and vertical settings because you might physically fry your monitor? Early ubuntu installs were very cool. As I told windows folk, “you answer five questions, one of which is your name, then go get coffee.”

I remember one time, I did an upgrade to my computer and my wife’s. I was running Debian, she was running Windows 2000. It was new motherboard, new video card, etc. My Linux machine took the changes without breaking stride. Windows? Not so much. It took 11 reboots, jumping through hoops, and sacrificing small furry animals to get windows to recognize the new hardware.

I admit that while systemd was what got me “BSD curious” was, through listening to BSD Now (I already knew Allan Jude through the TechSNAP podcast). But once I took the plunge, and started playing with ZFS, I was hooked. I am now enough of a fanboy that I got my boss to order our last two StoragePods with FreeNAS installed.

(Sorry if it’s a hijack)
Yep sounds like. Redhat, Slackware, Yggdrasil, SLS.
My dad worked for Bell Labs, so the first thing I ever touched was real Unix on a TI 300baud teletype. FreeBSD traces it’s roots there so it was a no brainer.
BSDI. I actually have a “BSDOS 4.3” box sittin on my shelf from after WindRiver got involved.
BSD Now: fantastic way to learn something in the background while doing work.
ZFS: not much else to say :slight_smile: I hope that HAMMER2 over at DragonflyBSD works out for Matt: So far I think it has lots of promise, lots of good stuff going over there.

FreeNAS for the win.

I think I still have my Yggdraisil floppy and booklet in the basement…

I think the first Unix I worked on might have been Xenix around 1985… Then SunOS/Solaris, BSDI and Linux in 1995, then DEC Unix, more Slowaris, HP-UX, AIX, but the past many years, it has been Linux and now BSD.