How to partition

Hello,

I will soon assemble a desktop with 1 TB SSD. I am thinking of trying TrueOS on it. Please advise me how to partition the disk and what files system (if there will be a separate partition for storing).

Thank you!

If the SSD is to be dedicated entirely to TrueOS, don’t worry about it. ZFS natively uses the entire disk, the installer will do the right thing for UEFI or BIOS.

Basically a long way of saying if the disk is dedicated, let the installer take care of it for you.

I did not express myself completely. I think I’d better leave a big chunk of the drive in ext4 in case I want to revert back to Linux. Thank you!

@jojopara Have you looked at the handbook?

Check out this image:

Click Customise Disk Settings

It would seem you can use the second drop-down to choose your own partition configuration here.

Personally, I backed up data, cloned the existing OS and let TrueOS do its thing with my disk. Because ZFS.

I hope this is useful.

Regards, Aaron.

I will digress from the topic. I tried to install TrueOS from a USB flash, I thrice got errors and did not finish. Please tell me how to make a bootable USB. I have Linux and Windows on two other computers.

Could you possibly be quick as my patience is running out …

1. https://web.trueos.org/downloads/ , TrueOS Stable (Current Release: 18.03) section, select TrueOS Stable Desktop (USB image) from the combo box; click Download
  2. Same link, Browse Downloads section, click Browse button; download md5-checksum file: https://download.trueos.org/master/amd64/TrueOS-Desktop-18.03-x64-DVD.iso.md5
  3. On Linux… open a terminal
  4. md5sum ~/Downloads/TrueOS-Desktop-18.03-x64-USB.img gives you (an example):
    $ 3e4d6b2f8bc4c0dd004ea766dba84d51 ~/TrueOS-Desktop-18.03-x64-USB.img
  5. cat ~/Downloads/TrueOS-Desktop-18.03-x64-USB.img.md5 gives you (an example):
    $ 3e4d6b2f8bc4c0dd004ea766dba84d51
  6. Compare the numbers, they should be the same. If not, something is wrong with your download.
  7. Plug in your USB-drive, then write the image to it with dd; WARNING: Replace /dev/sdc with the drive name of your USB-stick:
    sudo dd if=~/Downloads/TrueOS-Desktop-18.03-x64-USB.img of=/dev/sdc bs=4M status=progress oflag=nocache
  8. Wait until it’s done… Wait even more, as the operation might be cached by OS for a little longer, do not pull out the stick right away… even with the oflag=nocache option. Wait until a LED-light on the stick stops blinking.
    On Fedora 27, it took me about 5…7min for it to finish (on USB2). You might wanna try unmount the drive with a file manager. Fedora kept complaining the drive were still in use, so be patient. Don’t know how do disable caching completely; the oflag=nocache option seems to have little to no effect.

Also, there is a chance your usb-drive is broken. Try another one, if nothing else works.

Thank you all for the replies!

I have installed TrueOS in Virtuakbox under Manjaro.