How to browse the Network

Hi everybody !

I have recently installed TrueOs in double boot with Windows 10 and it works !
I know want to do two main things :slight_smile:

• List item I want to browse a NTFS partition called “D:” in Windows 10
  • List item I want to see with my network disks (two NAS two Bays)
  • List item I want to see a temporary external Drive in any format when I plug it in

but I can reach none of the above with the only browser I can see in the Lumina environment.

How to do that ?
Which steps to achieve ?

I have used various Linux distributions in the past but I am not the king of the terminal and I would like - as far as possible - use my mouse… !

Marc Driver

search through discourse. there was a thread similar to this in the past 2 months

I’m a n00b so there ma be a better way to do this . . .

Click the TrueOS icon lower left - fifth icon from the bottom is the file manager (has a home icon)

That should get you started.

If you don’t like the built in file manager, there are several others you can install from the app cafe

dolphin, emelfm2, caja, mucommander, nautilus, pcmanfm, thunar

If you just want to be able to browse the windows partition of the same harddrive, you just need to add an entry for that drive in your “/etc/fstab” rules.

Something like this line (ada1 is a sample - will need to point at the right partition - it has also been a while since I have done this…):

/dev/ada1               /media/WINDOWS      ntfs-3g       rw              0       0

Ok, I just re-read the original post and there seem to be 3 different “cases” where he wants to access a drive:

1. Local system partition: Use the method I mentioned above to automatically mount the drive to a directory on the local system (/media/WINDOWS in the case above).
  2. Removable harddrive (or USB stick): Just plug it in and the automounter system should detect the drive and automatically make it available with a desktop shortcut (actual mountpoint to browse is /autofs/[device ID]). This system will automatically mount the device when you move to the directory, and unmount it again as soon as you browse away.
  3. Network-shared drives: This gets a bit more tricky because it depends on which network file-sharing protocol you are using. If you are using NFS then you can typically just go to “/net/[IP_ADDRESS]” to view/browse that network drive (I recommend making a bookmark in the filemanager for that directory for easy return-access). If you are using Samba (the Windows sharing protocols), you will need to use another fstab entry, but using the “samba” protocol with the IP address instead of “ntfs-3g” and the physical device location.

Thank you everybody.

Beanpole135 summarized very well my situation. Just, I am wondering if there is a file browser which can avoid me to use commands on a terminal !

1. In order to know exactely what partitions I have on my hard drives, I would like to know what partition manager to use via the lumina desktop. I had a (bad ?) experience to lad a program which let me perplexed : I tried to load Nautilus file browser, I searched, find and installed it… but at the end I could not find it somewhere !!!

2. For removable harddrive this did not worked… maybe because this is MacOs format ? I’ll try with a NTFS one.

3. Network file sharing used. I thought that samba was automatically loaded (like in some LINUX Distros…). I’ll try to find where it is and load it…

Well, thank you and I will try by 1), then 2) and finally 3).

Happy to have some indications to solve my issues ! :grinning:

Maybe you’ll need to have gvfs in order to browser samba network shares.

If you use the fstab method for samba shares, then GVFS is not required. GVFS is the “Gnome Virtual File System” and only used by GTK-based file managers like Thunar/PcManFM to bypass the OS-specific methods for managing network drives (which is why those browsers cause such trouble on FreeBSD - their methods in many cases conflict with the FreeBSD way of doing things).

Here I explain how I used the fstab method to mount my samba shares: Tip for automounting remote shares

Hi q_pa

Unhopfully, it seams a little bit complicate for me… !
I would like to find something simple… I even do not know how are named the partitions and disks…

It is the very first time I try to useBSD… I used in the past some Linux Distros but each time I had to pass hours on command lines even some distros are now better built in order to satisfy a newbie… like having an explorer which allows to find directly the NTFS partition of your disk(s)…

I’ll try to look for FSTAB

How to browse the partitions on TrueOs ?

Hi @Marc_Driver, your NTFS partition should be found in /autofs as I just read here: My review of TrueOS

Hi @q_pa, yesss!!! I found my windows partitions C: as ada0p3 ans D: as ada1p1.

That’s a really good new for me and encourages me to continue…
i have put a bookmark on it. In the explorer, is it possible to see the bookmarks in the left column ? This in order to easily find them in the future and avoid to go through the explorer till Autofs each time I need to find a file there…