How much should I commit to TrueOS?

Having seen small Linux distributions come and go (sometimes without warning) leaving users in the lurch, should I commit full-on to TrueOS. Right now it appears to be a niche effort with some support by a smallish company. With some heavy duty graphics apps and a lot of data, is it worth the effort to really get a work environment running (convert btrfs/ext4 to ZFS is the least of my issues)?
What do people see as the long term viability of TrueOS vs Fedora vs a naked FreeBSD?
I really would like to get out from under Red Hat or Ubuntu.
MacOS is not an option - very marginal server functionality. Windows - don’t get me started LOL.
Any thoughts or discussion would help me make an informed decision.

Choose FreeBSD. It will become TrueOS automatically, and has ZFS, too. But there (in FreeBSD) are no (possibly nasty) surprises. TrueOS is nice and going into the right direction.
But You are looking for long-term reliability, and don’t want to fiddle around with the OS itself (broken boot-scripts in TrueOS, for example).

Additional remarks:

If You stay with Linux, have a look at Slackware.

I’m mostly using OpenBSD, but it’s not for everybody. My reason for doing this: I don’t like unnecessary changes, and I don’t like bloat that I know in advance I’ll never need.

Additionally, I run other OSs from time to time as needed.

But to have the greatest peace of mind with a rather short time to get used to something new: Go with FreeBSD production releases.

This is a very important distinction right here. I’ve been running FreeBSD as a desktop at home since around the 3.3 days, moved to TrueOS just because I got tired of the make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel && mergemaster -p && reboot && make installworld && rebuild every single port installed. I figured I’d let them do that :slight_smile:
But your statement about MacOS indicates you may have more server oriented needs than desktop. If so, then I agree with @bsdtester and start with FreeBSD 11-release. Root on ZFS is nice because of boot environments, but root on UFS and then using ZFS on separate devices for data (make sure you understand the types of RAIDZ) would be a good solution too.

I can’t say if it’s good or bad for you. I can only speak to my experience. I have been running TrueOS since it’s inception at home, I stuck to PC-BSD at work until recently, because I was afraid of the change, and I already had everything working the way I wanted it with PC-BSD. I finally took the dive, and I don’t regret it. I also had the same fear as you about it being pulled from under us. But it’s been years, and here I still am, TrueOS is the only operating System on my computers so that fear kind of went away. My main reason for using PC-BSD was because I was not savvy enough to use FreeBSD and PC-BSD was good for a novice like me… Since TrueOS and PC-BSD is just a heavily customized version of FreeBSD it allowed me to use BSD while learning it. Instead of having to learn it first and then use it. Now I can actually install FreeBSD servers without a problem. This is all based on Desktop use of course, but I do believe TrueOS has a server version, and I do believe they also have a (paid) commercial version. Sort of like RHEL.

For stability go to FreeBSD, no questions. As for constant rebuilding OS and ports - there are freebsd-update and pkg to avoid that.

Whilst I have not used TrueOS for some time (I love the concept and it has some REALLY great features such as its use of ZFS which has REALLY impressed me - buggy upgrades finally got me) … My vote would be to use FreeBSD (ZFS is the absolute best) or Debian Stable. I’d give Slackware an honourable mention - I went with Debian for many things because of the admin tools. I pine for a desktop system that can be transparently developed from FreeBSD - oh … my desktop IS FreeBSD btw - this is the machine I’m writing this from.

For updates / upgrades, FreeBSD is bulletproof. Debian I’d give only a .000000000001 vote less than that.

I’m not sure what your beef is with Fedora or Ubuntu, in the gnu/linux world (RMS give me a thumbs up) my experience is that you won’t go wrong with Debian Stable.

Oh … a Markdown editor … now that is cool.

Rgds