How much RAM does TrueOS use when you start it up

How much RAM does TrueOS use when you start it up (after installation off course)?

Here’s they system I’m currently on not doing much other than firefox right now.

Mem: 549M Active, 437M Inact, 99M Laundry, 3320M Wired, 11G Free
ARC: 2018M Total, 969M MFU, 774M MRU, 32K Anon, 24M Header, 250M Other
1554M Compressed, 3624M Uncompressed, 2.33:1 Ratio
Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free

I have a total of 16G in the system, so that’s why the 11G free. BSD tunes memory usage based on the total available, so things like network buffers will vary, filesystem cache, etc all vary. Really 8G is plenty for typical home usage. Notice the 4G swap? None of it is in use.

That’s quite a lot, ArchLabs (not to be confused with Arch Linux) manages to use approx 240 MB of RAM which is pretty good. All though it is quite buggy to be honest.

Not really, because under memory pressure a lot of what is currently in-use is recoverable by the VM system (virtual memory).
A system that uses only 240MB of ram but is quite buggy is basically a useless system.
ZFS as a filesystem likes to use RAM (performance reasons), performance of network drivers (think Gigabit or better links) wants more ram (buffers).

Physical RAM in use. 128GB total, but using only 2GB means that 126GB is sitting there idle. Means you wasted money if that 2GB represents your typical or max load. This has been argued forever: some folks say you should use 100% of the RAM, others say as little as possible. But free RAM is doing nothing for you. It’s your car sitting in the driveway at idle, waiting for you go to the store. When you actually go out to the store it’s nice because the car is already running, but if you are sitting at home, you are wasting resources. What winds up “best” for overall performance is using most of the physical RAM (most being relative nominally 75-90%) for the typical workload. That means things are in RAM don’t need to be read in from disk but there is a little headroom for emergency use.

Running a desktop environment like KDE or GNOME vs LXDE/XFCE/Lumina you start sucking up a lot of RAM because of all the crap that is running. Staying in console mode uses the least amount of RAM.

Oh I get what you mean mate. I did find ArchLabs to be buggy for example polybar would constantly freeze up and you would have to restart it.

If I can use the OS confortablly with 8 GB or RAM then it should be good for me.

One other question, does the taskmanager exist for Tident OS?

Something like the MS-Windows Task Manager? Not exactly, but some of the functionality is wrapped up in the sysadm client (think of this as a combination of MS control panel and taskbar). You need to think about what you do/want to do with the MS-Windows taskbar; if it is to simply list and kill processes, there are lots of ways to do that on a *nix system (Linux, *BSD), probably some graphical applications or you can simply use command line tools in a terminal window (top, ps, kill).

Generally I use the task manager to monitor its RAM and CPU use incase something misbehaves (which often it happens on Windows).

Ok, there are other tools to do that, top is the easiest/most common one.

SysAdm: Task Manager, has a visual representation of RAM and CPU usage… It’s even color-coded…

PS… If you plan on using VirtualBox, max out RAM… That’s the main reason I maxed mine out. Virtual box closing with “non-fatal error” out of memory, and Firefox just closing after so many tabs.

Thanks for letting me know.

I plan on using it on Actual Machine mate. May I suggest to have Waterfox instead of Firefox instead in Trident? Cause Firefox has privacy issues, for example a company payed Mozilla to spy on a particular area in Germany. Firefox used to be good but now Mozilla has changed.

You can always uninstall whatever programs you don’t want and install whatever one you prefer. It’s not like Windows where you have to have Edge on it regardless.

I mean by default it should have waterfox over firefox for those users who don’t know what firefox does with people’s privacy, especially as Trident claims that it does not track users on their website yet they have a software preinstall that does track the users.

I understand where you’re coming from. Trident doesn’t track users while Firefox does but, I’m pretty sure, you can turn off all tracking in the settings.

In the same vein of thought: Many of the people I talk to have no idea how much data their ISP keeps on them. ISPs track your data just as much, if not more, than Firefox would but I’d never want them to ship the OS without networking being a component.

Hmm not in its normal settings, you have to go through its about config crap or something maybe not too sure.

Well you can use TOR or VPN as a proxy.

My suggestion is that if an OS is promoting that it does not track you, then it should ship with software without tracking the user, or at least having Firefox preconfigured to not track users, especially since a lot of people wouldn’t know how awful Firefox has become in terms of privacy.

Trident says that THEY don’t track you. They can’t guarantee that the software you install doesn’t track you either. That is up to you to figure out. I change a ton of privacy settings when I first install Firefox, I disable telemetry, disable the cache, turn on Do Not Track me, etc… On top of that, I install several privacy add-ons such as one-click VPN’s, Ghostery, etc…

With that said I have never even heard of Waterfox (I wonder what kind of addons it has). I just read about it, and it was created by a 16-year-old student. I’m going to give it a try, but how can we be sure we can trust him?

P.S.
I run TrueOS on an actual Machine, and I will run Trident on an Actual machine, it’s my everyday use computer. But I still need to have VirtualBox to try out new Trident images, run Windows programs etc…

Also, do you have a link to where Mozilla received payment to spy on a particular area in Germany?.. I know there was a company that was masquerading as Mozilla, and unsuspecting users installed the spyware believing it was legitimately FireFox which it wasn’t it was spyware made to look like the Firefox browser, but I don’t think that was limited to Germany.

Hmm. Sounds like a “Tips and Tricks topic that should be pinned”. :slight_smile:

True but the user didn’t install firefox though, correct?

I wish this could be enabled by default on Trident.

Oh I see, Couldn’t you run Wine instead if you wanted to run Windows programs?

Do you know The Lunduke Show https://www.youtube.com/user/BryanLunduke/featured?

He actually had a video on Firefox but I can’t find it anymore, I think either he must have taken it down or it got demonotized (YouTube has been demonitizing a lot of videos these days for no reason and even Lunduke complained about this).

But here are other links as to how firefox invades your privacy as I have seen them before.

Did you install TrueOS 18.03, Project Trident BETA2, or BETA3 and got Firefox as default browser? That never happened to me. On my different systems I installed those three versions several times and always the default was the Lumina desktop environment with, in early times, Qupzilla browser and then Falkon browser.

Oh, I know that when I tried out TrueOS last time then that Firefox was the default browser didn’t know things have changed.