How come MAC address changing does not work in TrueOS?

Hi, i need to be able to change my mac address in trueos , i was looking in the handbook , but changing mac address doesnt seem like its functional, after i enter a mac address and press apply it just defaults back to built-in hardware address , and i know the address is correct because i am able to change my mac address easily in linux on my same laptop and it works right away. Anyone know if the TrueOS administrator boss will fix this issue in a newer upcoming trueos snapshot ?

Question about trueos ssh

You have to know what is the name of your network card. From terminal as root with ifconfig command:

[root@host] /usr/home/user# ifconfig
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether 02:66:c2:ad:8a:11
inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX )
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet netmask 0xff000000
groups: lo
wlan0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether ac:2b:6e:9d:2f:bf
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
ssid “” channel 1 (2412 MHz 11b)
regdomain FCC country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 wme bintval 0
groups: wlan

In this case the name of the card is re0

After from terminal as root:
[root@host] /usr/home/user# ifconfig re0 down
[root@host] /usr/home/user# ifconfig re0 ether 02:66:c2:ad:8a:11this is the spoofed MAC
[root@host] /usr/home/user# ifconfig re0 up

You have to be careful with the format of the MAC address. Tha last 6 caracters (in this case: ad:8a:11) means the manufacturers, this have to be correct, because if not than anybody can recognize immediately that this is a spoofed MAC!
And not every caracter accepted on the first four (in this case:02:66) character’s place! Alloweds: abcdef and all numbers.
Some rules are different between the wired and wireless cards.

neato! ,i’m glad you exist, thanks for the tutorial .i see these commands are very similar of how i do it on Macos, i believe macos is just a dressed up beautified bsd with heavy modifications.
The reason i need to change my mac adress sometimes is because certain public places i go to after school only give 20 min wifi trials every 24 hours which is annoying ,so changing my mac lets me get a few more trials

I like to use it when I’m downloading in free mode from some file sharing site (like: Magaupload, Uploaded, Rapidshare etc) and I don’t want to wait between two download.
After a MAC and IP change I can immediately continue the download procedure. :slight_smile:
When you change your MAC and IP address don’t forget to restart your browser to delete the tracking cookies and every unusable things.