How can I install system wide fonts?

I remember in PC-BSD we could acomplish this by opening something called "Font installer, and it would give us an option to add personal fonts or system wide fonts.
Is there a way to accomplish this in Lumina?

You will need to copy files manually and update the font cache from the terminal.

I can make a simple font installer for Lumina when I get the time.

There’s also a section in the TrueOS handbook about installing fonts.

I kind of disagree with them about the advice on installing your own fonts; that is, the suggestion of putting them into /usr/local/share/fonts by default. In that case, will get obliterated during an upgrade since it creates a new boot environment, and you will have to copy them in again. If you are going to do that, make a ZFS dataset (e.g. myfonts) that mounts at /usr/local/share/fonts/myfonts. That way those fonts don’t disappear between upgrades.

Another way would be to make a local port that copies your fonts in, but you would still have to install it after every upgrade.

Anyway, there’s more than one way to get fonts system wide.

As long as your font names don’t overlap any system installed fonts, they should not get overwritten on an upgrade (I don’t believe). I routinely disable dbus and a few others by renaming the executable in /usr/local/bin and after an upgrade my renamed executable is still in /usr/local/bin. Non overlapping names of fonts should do the same thing.

Hmm. OK. I just remember back in the PC-BSD days that after copying all my fonts into /usr/local/share/fonts they would be gone after an upgrade and I would have to copy them over again. I was still new to zfs, boot environments, and upgrades. So, I can’t rule out that I might have been doing something wrong, or a maybe a misbehaved package just nuked my directory when it was cleaning everything else out and now that doesn’t happen. I stopped investigating when I realized that I actually just wanted these fonts for the local user and not system-wide.

Per the hand book:

directory. Then, run fc-cache -f -v /usr/local/share/fonts/name_of_font to refresh the fonts cache.

What if I have a folder with a thousand fonts?.. Entering the name of each font 1000 times could be a tedious task.

You run fc-cache on folders, not individual files. So just run fc-cache on /usr/local/share/fonts (remember to run command as root or else you will only update the cache for your user).