Harddisk, Program, Syst info

Just installed on my Lenovo ideapad 310 with 2 harddisk.
Normal practice:-
Harddisk 1 (ssd 150G) - OS, Programs(Libra Office, Clementine, Browser, and so on)
Harddisk 2 (std 1 TB) - Games and data, e.g.:-
Games - Homeworld
- Quake
Downloads(anything I download from the net)
libraOffice - word
- spreadsheet
music - mp3
- mtv

1. How to do the same thing on zfs. Can it be done?
  2. How to get my laptop syst info, more detail than - about. Like from a Mac, about this mac, storage, system report…and so on.
  3. Where is my harddisk? Or zfs can’t seems to find my 2nd harddisk…

zpool status
pool: tank
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
      ada0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

zpool list

NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
tank 107G 2.43G 105G - 1% 2% 1.00x ONLINE -

sudo camcontrol devlist

<Apacer AS330 120GB AP110PD0> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)
<WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0 01.01A01> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)

glabel list

Geom name: ada0p3
Providers:

1. Name: label/swap0
    Mediasize: 4294966784 (4.0G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Stripesize: 0
    Stripeoffset: 4048572416
    Mode: r1w1e1
    secoffset: 0
    offset: 0
    seclength: 8388607
    length: 4294966784
    index: 0
    Consumers:
  2. Name: ada0p3
    Mediasize: 4294967296 (4.0G)
    Stripesize: 0
    Stripeoffset: 4048572416
    Mode: r1w1e2

Geom name: ada1p1
Providers:

1. Name: ext2fs/xubuntuData
    Mediasize: 1000203091968 (932G)
    Stripesize: 4096
    Stripeoffset: 0
    Mode: r0w0e0
    secoffset: 0
    offset: 0
    seclength: 1953521664
    length: 1000203091968
    index: 0
    Consumers:
  2. Name: ada1p1
    Mediasize: 1000203091968 (932G)
    Stripesize: 4096
    Stripeoffset: 0
    Mode: r0w0e0

Yes, it can be done, mostly. BSD by default will put your applications on /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin is typically only applications that are considered part of the base os. So depending on what you want to do with your games, you may need to set up symlinks or a few other things.

Give us screenshots of what you are looking for; not all of know what is contained in the output of those commands (last Mac I had was a beige one with B&W 9 inch screen, a single floppy and 256K ram). On trueOs there is the “about” command which gives a quick overview, under Lumina, there are various bits off the Control Panel.

ZFS will never display anything about Linux partitions; the output of your glabel command clearly shows that ada1p1 is not a ZFS partition. If you want to simply access what is already on that partition, you need to mount it; FreeBSD can read/write Linux ext2fs partitions. If you are running a stock install, browsing should automount it. You can also add a line in /etc/fstab that will mount it for you (man fstab, google “freebsd add an entry to fstab to mount a linux partition”).

If you want to wipe out all information currently on ada1, and repartition it to use ZFS, that’s a whole different thing. If that is not what you want, but merely to access existing Linux partitions, you should find enough info and add a line to /etc/fstab.
you start with “gpart destroy /dev/ada1”, then move to “gpart create -s gpart /dev/ada1” onto “gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l gamedata -a 1m -s 920g /dev/ada1” then move to “zpool create GameData /dev/ada1p1”. At that point you will have a new zpool (zpool list should show it), and you can create ZFS datasets under that.

A few links with more info.

Hi mer, thank you for you reply.

Ok, since I am using ZFS file system, may as well try it all. So will wipe ada1 and repartition to ZFS.

Steps:-

1. gpart destroy /dev/ada1
  2. gpart create -s gpart /dev/ada1
  3. gpart add -t freebsd-zfs -l hdd2 -a 1m -s 932g /dev/ada1 (how to determine how many G in 1TB hdd?)
    • This will give the 1TB hdd volume name of hdd2, correct?
      To build the directories for the 2nd hdd:-
  4. zpool create Game /dev/ada1p1
    zpool create Game/XcomEUnknown
    zpool create Game/Xcom2
    zpool create Game/…(whatever game on a later date, so on and so forth)
  5. zpool create LibraOfficeData /dev/ada1p1
    zpool create LibraOfficeData/word
    …LibraOfficeData/Excel
  6. zpool create python3 /dev/ada1p1
    …python3/virtualenv
    …python3/books
    …python3/videos
  7. zpool create Downloads /dev/ada1p1
    …and so on and so forth… do I have to add /dev/ada1p1 to every sub-zpool or nested zpool?

And here I am stump. Let’s say I install python3:-
sudo su
pkg install python3
(I change to root…so python3 is now Global. Any additional user has access as opposed to installing as a user, sudo pkg install python3, where only that user have access to python3. Is this the correct way?)

Now I install virtualenv:-
pip3 install virtualenv (still as root or should I change to the user?)
But how do I install it in the 2nd hdd as in zpool python3/virtualenv? cd /usr/local/bin or cd python3/virtualenv than sudo pip3 install virtualenv?

Am I making sense?

Mostly making sense. gpart list or gpart show will give you some of the info for #3. “gpart label” not “volume name” :slight_smile:
Steps 4,5,6:
The first zpool create command “zpool create Game /dev/ada1p1” is correct. That creates the ZFS Vdev for you.
All the other “zpool create /dev/ada1p1” are incorrect. You can only create one zpool on a physical device.
I use more generic names for the zpool, since that’s really just the bigger bucket and typically all you do is create datasets underneath it.

I would do something like this:
zpool create storage /dev/ada1p1
zfs create storage/Games
zfs create storage/Games/XcomEUnknown
zfs create storage/Games/Xcom2
zfs create storage/Games/… whatever

zfs create storage/LibreOfficeData
zfs create storage/LibreOfficeData/word

zfs create storage/Python3
zfs create storage/Python3/virtualenv

zfs create storage/Downloads

that creates a zpool named storage, and the creates datasets on it that match what you want.

I’m not 100% on the pip commands, but:
pkg install python3 will install python3 in /usr/local/bin (or whereever it winds up, but on /usr/local).
pip3 install should install the python stuff in it’s default location: not sure, but guessing something like /usr/local/bin/python or something.
Installing to the 2nd harddisk would require you to actually use zfs commands to move data sets and change mount points.