Greetings and a question or three

Hello.

So, after several attempts at installing FreeBSD and Dragonfly BSD (and two previous failed attempts at getting TrueOS into working order) I have learned enough to get this far - TrueOS installed. Desktop in reasonable shape. Some extra apps installed.
(Started using Linux in 2002 and used it mostly through to late 2015. Spent two and a bit years using Macs, then back to Linux earlier this year when the last Mac died. I’m not a programmer or a sysadmin. Just a power user with a hunger for the not so well known.)
Some questions…

Even with the nv driver (rock solid performance under Linux) I have shocking screen tearing when moving windows. Last time I chose the nvidia drivers during first boot after install, it resulted in a grey screen that I couldn’t get past.
Is there’s a “step by step guide” for noobs like me?

Apart from Thunderbird, are there any mail clients capable of multiple accounts? Trojita seems to be able to do only one.

Audacious and xmms report as “unmaintained”. Are they dangerous or just obsolete now? What replaces them?

I have a 1TB ext4 HD in this pc. How I mount it correctly? I presume I can add such a line to fstab? (Assuming BSD uses fstab).

Any general tips/advice/sources would be most welcomed. Now I have the screen in a half decent state I can start on the handbook.

Thanks

ext4 is a roll of the dice. install fuse, and it should be able to using the command line.

No guide at the moment :frowning: just a 4 person team. On that ever growing list of things to do.

most installed apps are QT, to keep ISO small. they do get you online.

Nvidia drivers sorted. Screen tearing gone.

Hard drive issue resolved. I copied the required data on to a spare fat32 drive and that’s worked perfectly.

Music collection manager resolved. Clementine to the rescue.

I can put up with Thunderbird.

Almost ready to give BSD a go at being the daily machine.

i use claws-mail for my client

what client do you normally use?

freshports.org it the place to check

I’ve been using Geary. I find the Thunderbird interface to be a bit cluttered and busy. Evolution proved to be hopeless, constant connection issues and KMail wouldn’t even connect at all. This is all based on recent Linux use.

it is available, as long as you don’t mind bringing in ALL of the cruft that accompanies it

For the moment it will do. Whilst I get up to speed with the relevant (to me) differences between this and Linux.

I’m using Seamonkey (kind of Firefox + Thunderbird) for browsing and mail client - since the good old Opera browser became obsolete.

How has Opera become obsolete?

Opera is still there, you can also find it at FreshPorts.

The good old Opera (Presto engine) has been discontinued for years, and so it’s not supporting a lot of modern websites anymore.

I’ll second claws-mail as @RodMyers suggests. Been using it for a while. Of course I’m one of those folks that actually liked Pine and Mutt.
As for a daily machine, a BSD based machine (usually FreeBSD, but a couple of side trips with OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD) has been mine for a long time (15 to 20 years) so don’t let anyone tell you it won’t work.

Unmaintained Ports. FreeBSD Ports tree is different mindset/beast than your typical Linux distribution and package repos. Ports are source code plus patches and Makefiles to actually build the code. Non-trivial when you look at something like FireFox: base code may not be too bad, but it’s the dependencies that will kill you.
Each port will have a maintainer: someone that has signed up to update the port as needed. Again, if you think of how fast Firefox updates, a maintainer can play catch-up and churn things alot.
So, an “unmaintained” port basically has no owner, so the code may be out of date, it may not even build on a current system. It could mean that upstream the project has died.

@Sergio is correct on Opera: the upstream changed, nothing to do with TrueOS/Trident/*BSD.

I still xmms(1) because my beard is growing grey and I haven't 
learned new tricks to play my CD collection.

Perhaps some day I'll play around with Lumina Media player.
Time well spent.

Happy geeking out!
John
groenveld@acm.org

It’s a real shame that TruesOS is regarded as a server OS now because it’s the most stable ‘comes with a GUI’ BSD I’ve found thus far.
I downloaded the currently available version of Trident but it crashed within a few seconds of booting from the disc. I have no idea what the output means, it wasn’t a disc read error.
Does anyone know how long Trident is from a ‘ready to go’ version?
GhostBSD is pretty, but firefox is hopeless on it, crashing tabs and crashing completely repeatedly. Some on screen fonts are awful, especially in Palemoon. No version of Chromium available and reports of it ‘not working well with BSD’ seem to abound. Other than that it’s the usual round of suspects that I know from Linux. Well meaning each and every one and unreliable each and every one.

It feels relatively stable to me, but I did full reinstall, as upgrade/install into BE never properly worked for me leaving the system half broken.
Well, it took how long, 2-3 years for TOS to get to the state it’s in right now.
Given the circumstances, my guess it’ll take at least a couple of releases for Trident to settle.
On the other hand, not reporting the boot error you have is a sure way it’ll never be fixed.

Looking at the current issue with Chromium, it doesn’t look like a serious one to me. The patch is simple and easy to apply, but building it takes time.

Firefox works fine for me on Trident BTW.

So it turned out the reason why the Trident installation media failed to boot was because I didn’t use the right dd command. Having come from Linux and having used dd a fair bit recently playing around with various distros (and GhostBSD worked ok with an unmodified dd command) I assumed, incorrectly.
So once I’d added the bs=1M conv=sync bit, it all worked normally.