Functionality in "Font Configuration" Window is limited. Doesn't reflect current values and has arbitrary value limit

In TrueOs STABLE:

“Lumina Theme Engine”-“Theme Settings”-“Fonts”-“Create fonts.conf”-“Font Configuration”

1. Nothing works. Nothing at all. Nothing changes. Nothing is saved. Logout/Login shows only unchangable default values.

2. Why is the maximum font resolution 180 dpi? That’s totally arbitrary. And wrong.

3. Is there anybody using STABLE with a working “Font Configuration”-DialogWindow?

I just found, that my changes are saved in
"${HOME}/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf"

But this is not reflected in the window. Window shows totally other (default) values.

On my TrueOS 17.12 STABLE (Lumina desktop environment) it looks like it is working.
First I took a look into my .config folder and there was no folder fontconfig since I never changed any font.
Now I opened Preferences - Configure Desktop - Appearance Theme:

On the screenshot is the default font.
Then I created the fonts.conf (now I have the folder fontconfig) and selected a different font:

The difference in fonts is easily recognized.
I logged out of my desktop session and logged back in - the new font is still all across the desktop.
This is the content of fonts.conf:

~% less .config/fontconfig/fonts.conf 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
    <match target="font">
        <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
            <bool>false</bool>
        </edit>
        <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
            <bool>false</bool>
        </edit>
        <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
            <const>hintnone</const>
.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf...skipping...
<fontconfig>                                                                                    
    <match target="font">                                                                       
            <bool>false</bool>                                                                  
        </edit>                                                                                 
            <bool>false</bool>                                                                  
        </edit>                                                                                 
            <const>hintnone</const>                                                             
        </edit>                                                                                 
        <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">                                                        
            <const>none</const>                                                                 
        </edit>                                                                                 
        <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">                                                    
            <bool>false</bool>                                                                  
        </edit>                                                                                 
        <edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign">                                                   
            <const>lcdnone</const>                                                              
        </edit>                                                                                 
        <edit name="dpi" mode="assign">                                                         
            <double>102</double>                                                                
        </edit>                                                                                 
    </match>                                                                                    
</fontconfig>                                                                                   
~                                                                                               
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
(END)

After turning back to the default font the fonts.conf is like this:

<fontconfig>
    <match target="font">
            <bool>false</bool>
        </edit>
            <bool>false</bool>
        </edit>
            <const>hintnone</const>
        </edit>                                                                                   
            <const>none</const>                                                                   
        </edit>                                                                                   
            <bool>false</bool>                                                                    
        </edit>                                                                                   
            <const>lcdnone</const>                                                                
        </edit>                                                                                   
            <double>102</double>                                                                  
        </edit>                                                                                   
    </match>                                                                                      
</fontconfig>                                                                                     
.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf (END)

I can’t see any change at all but the displayed font is Noto Sans 12 again. And it stays that way even after logging out and in again.

Thank You. My posting’s subject is only the little “Font Configuration” window on Your second-from-the-bottom screenshot. Everything else works.

The Antialiasing, Hinting, etc. and all other fields don’t reflect the current values.

The “Font Resolution” has a hard-coded maximum of 180.

I should rename this topic. Any suggestions?

Edit: I renamed it.

Got it! :slightly_smiling_face:
The Font Configuration window doesn’t reflect the values of the fonts.conf file:

<fontconfig>
    <match target="font">
            <bool>true</bool>
        </edit>
            <bool>true</bool>
        </edit>
            <const>hintmedium</const>
        </edit>                                                                               
            <const>rgb</const>                                                                
        </edit>                                                                               
            <bool>true</bool>                                                                 
        </edit>                                                                               
            <const>lcdlegacy</const>                                                          
        </edit>                                                                               
            <double>180</double>                                                              
        </edit>                                                                               
    </match>                                                                                  
    <match target="font">                                                                     
        <test name="weight" compare="more">                                                   
            <const>medium</const>                                                             
        </test>                                                                               
            <bool>true</bool>                                                                 
        </edit>                                                                               
    </match>                                                                                  
</fontconfig>                                                                                 
.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf (END)

This is my fonts.conf file at the moment and the Font Configuration window opens with exact the same content like displayed above (some kind of default).

The font resolution is limited to values between 80 and 180.

The title is more clear now but I always try to support text with screenshots or terminal output. (At least as long as the discourse server isn’t complaining. :wink: )