Fresh install : ssd doesn't boot

Hi all,

After a fresh install in a laptop (MSI P65), in the whole SSD NVMe, the laptop doesn’t recognise the SSD as a bootable HDD (Not listed in UEFI).

I can reboot in the USB key, but I d’ont know how to force the boot on harddrive.

The secure mode is deactivated.

Where can I search the reason of this failure ?

Thanks.

have you triple checked bios/uefi settings?

I 'think" there is a thread on msi laptops here

Yes, and I try to disable a lot of things.
As the USB key works, it may be a bad install (I check the rUefi option) ?

that would be a good place to start

also look at grabbing the older 1803 release --> https://download.trueos.org/unstable/amd64/

FreeBSD changed the bootloader from forth to lua. Not sure that would be an issue. but …

Thanks, I will try (DL in progress).

I let a comment here just after.

but after a boot on USB key, in the shell :

camcontrol devlist

<microUFD S1 1100> … (that is the USB drive)

No SSD here…
Is that an issue ?

can you install Ubuntu using uefi?

I didn’t try it, DL in progress too.
I only install a freeBSD without x11 before and erase the whole disk for TrueOS.

I can see the efi partition on SSD with gpart show.

Is there a way to install TureOS after the FreeBSD install ?

Thanks.

I’m sure soneone else will chime in.

theoretically, yes. as long as FreeBSD uses ZFS and uses Boot Environments. Just install into a Boot Environment

Ok, thanks. So I try Ubuntu first. Then TrueOS 18.3 and I report here the results.

I’ve given you choices.

My choice would be

ubuntu to make sure laptop sees it.

1803, then freebsd

your mileage may vary

Ubuntu freeze during the keymap configuration, Xubuntu frezze before this step… 1803 has the same workaround. FreeBSD to.
In FreeBSD I try all the gpd option (UEFI, UEFI with patch, …)

So, maybe I have to try in Legacy mode ? :confused:

After a ton of test, I try to boot from the Windows USB key without success !

Ok, zen…
Apparently, my two brand new USB key froze…

After a big coffee, I try an old USB Key with Ubuntu and a step by step tutoriel.
It works !
According to some random search in internet, the key in USB3 can froze the system before installation.

That doesn’t expain the bug with SSD, but it seem that 4k blocks is not supported by all nvme SSD…

I’ve now a well working laptop with Ubunutu.
But honesty, I prefer a FreeBSD based system to have in my computer services like gitlab in jails. ( and a great project for TrueOS/FreeBSD can be to prupose iocell/jail base for this kind of services).

So, because I didn’t have the courage to retry now, I’ll buy a second nvme SSD and I will try to reinstall TrueOS but keeping the actual Ubuntu.

PS : I try to install OS X too as I have a Macbook pro. But failure in reboot to (nvme is detected, the problem is NVidia driver).

This is my preferred method: buy a new device. That way you are guaranteed to not screw anything up. I don’t know if they have them for NVME devices yet, but there are a lot of external adaptors that you can plug the original device in and then into the system to get data off it.

You can copy kernel directory and rebuild kernel with all options which you can find, and check will it work, if will, find what the option you missed. So rebuild kernel. But it can take a time. Sorry, my English not good.
If it won’t work just set old kernel directory, which you saved early.