First impression

i had my laptop for about 2 years and I almost gave up on installing anything that is Unix. Nothing seems to install, and if they do they crash and if they don’t crash they just hang.

I saw this and I thought ill give it a try this year. I must say I am impressed thus far. Actually i am surprised it installed as I expected it to fail on my laptop which defeated all Linux distros last year.

I have ASUS GL753VD 17 inch gaming laptop which defeated all Unixes, until today (i must admit and to be fair i last tried Linuxes, all of them, last year). This one installed flawlessly and i expected to fail at the graphics as this system has 2 graphics cards, an Intel and an Nvidia GTX 1050. it failed on Nvidia testing but worked well on Intel.

Still have problem with sound. IT detected the realtek chip but no sound.I see the icons and the mixer and look fine but no sound coming out.
It has a jack for headphone but if I plug anything it just booms loudly.

Everything else is working just fine including wifi, and 2 screens configurations.

i installed it on an external SSD drive and boots just fine. This setup also defeated many Linuxes and FreeBSDs in the past.

I do understand it is still work in progress nd few things are still missing and the UI still needs polishing.

trackpad still not working, but no matter i use a mouse anyway.

The OS is super fast on my laptop.

But overall, i would say good work and I am sure it will improve as we go forward.

Finally I can carry my favourite OS with me :joy:

Good work guys.

open a shell and type --> about <-- and post the results

edit:
also in the terminal type, and post this as well --> ps aux | grep pulse
rodney 90118 0.0 0.0 96428 4788 - I Sat11 0:45.96 /usr/local/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

Here they are. Thanks

===================
General information

boot environment now (N) … initial NR 2018-06-25
after restart ® … initial NR 2018-06-25
boot loader …………………………………… BSD
type ……………………… EFI
CPU ………………………………………………………… Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
number of cores ……………… 8
host ………………………………………………………
memory ………………………………………………… 16384 MB available, 12657 MB free
OS git branch ……………………………………………………………………………………… trueos-stable-18.03
OS git revision ………………………………………………………………………………… fa797a5a3
OS kernel build time ………………………………………………………… Mon 2018 Mar 26 00:24:47 UTC
OS kernel identity …………………………………………… (uname -i) GENERIC
OS platform (architecture) ……………………… (uname -m) amd64
OS release level ………………………………………………… (uname -r) 12.0-CURRENT
OS version and patch level …… (freebsd-version) 12.0-CURRENT
TrueOS package set ………………… STABLE
TrueOS version …………………………… TrueOS-Desktop-201803131015
uptime ………………………………………………… 1:37
user ……………………………………………………

More (TrueOS Desktop):

desktop environment …… Lumina
sound card driver ………… pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
wireless driver ……………… iwm0
X11 drivers ………………………… intel_drv.s

~% ps aux | grep pulse
25698 0.0 0.0 11532 2388 1 S+ 19:37 0:00.00 grep pulse
[ /usr/local/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
W: [(null)] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but that’s impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support.

the sound icons shows 3 outputs:

REALTEK ALC235 (internal analog)
REALTEK ALC235 (Left analog headphone)
Intel Cabylake (hdmi/dp 8ch)

I tried them all. I expected the HDMI to work but did not.

sudo pkg install pavucontrol sox

While running pavunctorl, find an mp3 that you can play (long-ish one), and play it. tinker with pavucontrol .

Some systems cat be a pain

will do and post the results.
thanks

well I played with pavucontrol but no dice.

this morning i noticed sound coming from the external monitor. i upped the volume and sure enough, there is sound. tried vlc, there is sound.

Observation: (Lumina does not remember the screen configuration if you disconnect).
only if you connect an external monitor with speakers.
only if you boot with external monitor connected. if you connect later then you have to reboot for it to work.
only if device is set to HDMI.
internal speakers won’t work (so far).

then you have sound.

So the sound is playing now. I just came from work and switched it on and it is playing without HDMI external monitor. Just to be sure, I switched off then on again 3 times and it is working fine.

I have no idea what happened, looks like it sorted itself or just temperamental.
So, i would say except for the track pad, everything else is working fine (fingers crossed).