Email Sending Problem

I can’t find an email client that allows me to send emails. they manage to download my emails, (but often not all of them). So far I’ve tried Trojita, Sylpheed, Claws and Geary. Could the problems could be with server settings? I’m using my internet provider’s email, with Imap. Trojita really was bad, I had to uninstall it to make it stop giving me error messages. I couldn’t even try to configure the settings, because before I could do so, the error message would pop up again, even tho I had just closed it. There are many other emails to try in the Apps Cafe, but I’m not familiar with any of them.

Install Thunderbird. It will autodetect Your send-and-receive settings. Afterwards, look at them and copy them. Then, You can deinstall Thunderbird again, if You don’t like it.

If Thunderbird doesn’t autodetect, then Your TrueOS or Router is misconfigured. Firewall?

I tried your suggestion, bsdtester. I also went back to my Linux system and copied the settings in TB from there, as well as from Mailspring. I tried them all on all the above emails. No luck. What does work is Webmail from my IP. so I will just use that. I’m all about workarounds!

Try this:

echo “TestText” | mail -v -s “Test1” yourEmail@your.provider.tld

What does it say?

Check firewall settings. Some ISPs don’t allow port 25 (SMTP) so they squash it. Comcast residential does this. You could simply try turning off firewall on TrueOS, see if you can send an email using Thunderbird. Thunderbird seems to correctly detect a lot of the oddball configurations for some ISPs

Thank you bsdtester, sorry about the delay. Here is the output you requested:

michael@trueos-3785] ~% echo “TestText” | mail -v -s “Test1” yourEmail@your.provider.tld
yourEmail@your.provider.tld… Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay…
yourEmail@your.provider.tld… Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
[michael@trueos-3785] ~%

I’m pretty sure my isp does use port 25. In any case, I don’t know where to find the firewall. For some strange reason, my Control Panel won’t open at the moment.

1. Try “telnet yourisp.com 25” to see if their SMTP server is talking.
  2. Most ISP(s) require user password for sending emails. That setting is part of any stand alone email client - you provide the mail server name or IP, a port number (normally 25) and, more often than not, user password
  3. You shouldn’t tweak firewall to send email through your ISP’s mail server from your computer

ipfw is the firewall command. “man ipfw” for information.
ipfw list look for port 25 or smtp.

I may have solved it. I have Thunderbird working now, am able to send emails. The problem was with my user name, of all things. My email provider recently made some changes, and now requires my full email address for my user name. Previously, mdiemer was good enough. I have printed out their server settings for future reference.

I’m going to call it good with having T-Bird working. Thanks to everyone who offered their help, I greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for my (sloppy) prior reply. I should have had provided more details on how Internet email systems work in general.

Basically email servers communicate with each other and all others over SMTP port 25.
At present time, all email servers should require authentication from its authorized user(s) for sending and relaying email messages to others, typically over port 587 (this is an internal server operation port for secured (TLS) and authorized message transfers) – that should be the port number in user’s email client for sending messages along with SMTP server’s name or IP, port number, user’s email address and password, as setup by their email provider…

Similar settings apply to retrieving email messages from email servers. There are several options with different port numbers, such as: POP3, POP3S, IMAP and internal (system wide). To retrieve email messages, remote users can use POP3, POP3S or IMAP (typically web based system) email clients. In each case the settings require user’s email address and password, and with stand alone email clients the email server’s name or IP and port number.

Not at all, Ichibiri. And I appreciate the great summary of how email works. I have Thunderbird running on all cylinders now, so this thread can be considered solved.