! Come and get it .. It's here! --- BETA-01

Re: “It’s here !”

WOO HOO !!!

:slight_smile:
J.

I’m a bit lost. So PC-BSD became TrueOS, and now there’s yet another name change taking place? The FAQ and other documentation pages linked to in this thread’s OP don’t really help me understand the situation (or why I’d want to migrate).

short simple amswer

pcBSD was always on the "release: schedule freebsd 9, freebsd 10. hardware support was always lacking. box hardware was decent enough. laptop selection was always a pain.

Trueos was the follow on, but instead of track the “release” it started using CURRENT (aka testing branch) of FreeBSD. It was way more fluid, and it had cutting edge support for better hardware support. Meaning, we all could enjoy newer laptops, etc.

Project-Trident happened for a number of reasons. an initial reason, starts here https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream/ . Once the devs of trueos started down that road the desktop component be came trident.

And that is a simplified accounting of why we are here.

Project-Trident happened for a number of reasons. an initial reason, starts here https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream/ . Once the devs of trueos started down that road the desktop component be came trident.

And that is a simplified accounting of why we are here.

Yet that article still mentions that you can install a KDE DE in TrueOS with just a simple command.

I get the feeling it is all less complex than it seems, but if even someone like me with over 30 years of experience with various Unix, Mac OS and MS Windows variants feels a bit lost, imagine how the average newcomer user will feel.

Now, if the Trident project is just a new name for the effort around the Lumina desktop than I can just ignore it for the time being, I have no interest in yet another new DE approach :wink:

Well, TOS is FreeBSD with OpenRC and ZFS out-of-the-box etc, still server-oriented tho. Sure, one can install a desktop on top with “simple” pkg install. However, they are a bit reticent to explain there, that then you have to go configure everything manually and, on top, likely to rebuild packages from ports with the settings optimized for desktop use. Which probably shouldn’t come as a surprise for experienced BSD users, but still a bit confusing for others I agree.

Trident and Ghost are intended to address that with the correspondent Lumina and XFCE (MATE) support. Want something else? You’re kinda on your own. I mean you roll up your sleeves and do what you usually do with BSD :slight_smile:

More on the topic from Ken Moore:

Ken Moore BSDCan 2018

… go configure everything manually … rebuild packages from ports with the settings optimized for desktop use.
Which probably shouldn’t come as a surprise for experienced BSD users, but still a bit confusing for others I agree.

Yeah, doesn’t really help to position the system as a (potential) “mainstream” OS (which in turn means that 3rd party software provides will not easily consider providing ports - think Google, Spotify and the like).

So far I’ve managed to get a working KDE4/Plasma4 desktop by just copying my ~/.kde folder from Linux, and haven’t had to rebuild anything.

Want something else?

Indeed. KDE :slight_smile: It’s a bit funny really. On Linux I run a Plasma4 desktop and build much of KF5 applications and some of Plasma5 using an adapted version of the MacPorts package manager (itself a descendent of FreeBSD’s port) and the same ports I use on Mac. I’m perfectly happy with that, but somehow not really looking forward to starting that all over on a subtly but significantly different OS. So I’m crossing my fingers that someone else will handle that - a BSD fork of Project Neon maybe?
Oh, and https://freebsd.kde.org/news.php#itemWelcomeModernKDEtoFreeBSD … hmmm :slight_smile: